Weird sound tonight in my family room home theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe someone here might know what I heard. I was sitting on the couch surfing the web on my phone. I had the system on with the TV playing. I was looking at my phone when the sound happened.

It sounded like when someone throws those little cracker snappers. The white paper wrapped around little stones that explode when it hits the ground. Sound is similar to when a cap goes off. It sounded like it came from out in front of me to the right.

I figured it might have been something in my subwoofer going out. I have a ML Depth i that has an intermittent problem where it makes a scratchy sound. It hasn't done that in months though.

I checked out the sub and it works Iike it should, no signs of problems. The rest of the system shows no trouble either. I feel like I'm going crazy! It sounded like someone threw one of those snappers on the floor in the room.

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone heard a similar sound? Im worried i might damage something worse if I keep using the equipment.

Hola Robert,

That to me, sounds like you have a receiver transient, not the woofer or the speaker. Once you told me that being the woofer disconnected (no input cable) you got that horrible noise. But, here the question is: are you sure it is coming from the sub? If that's so, then you have a digital sub power amp. It is a weird behaviour. At the receiver, in the amps section, there are a bunch of little transistors. These transistors, due to age, might become noise and also intermittent. The PNP type transistor with case 92 are usually what cause this odd noise too.

Tracking odd noises is very difficult.

Happy listening!

Hola Robert,

That to me, sounds like you have a receiver transient, not the woofer or the speaker. Once you told me that being the woofer disconnected (no input cable) you got that horrible noise. But, here the question is: are you sure it is coming from the sub? If that's so, then you have a digital sub power amp. It is a weird behaviour. At the receiver, in the amps section, there are a bunch of little transistors. These transistors, due to age, might become noise and also intermittent. The PNP type transistor with case 92 are usually what cause this odd noise too.

Tracking odd noises is very difficult.

Happy listening!
Thanks. I doubt its the receiver, a Marantz thats less than 2 years old or my Aragon dual monoblock. The sound seemed to come from the other side of the room. Sounded like someone firing off a loud cap gun. POP!

I thought maybe it was on the TV show and replayed that part of the show, nope. It was definitely in the room. So strange.

We have an electrostatic air cleaner in the basement thats not real far from the room above. Maybe that made one big crack. Its never done that before, and it sounded like the noise originated just 8 feet from where I was sitting. I actually thought one of my kids threw one of those caps into the room and I was pissed off because its nice hardwood.

The air cleaner could have done it. If it happens again, maybe you can figure out where the sound is coming from. I'm glad your subwoofer seems to be doing pretty good. Hopefully you get some more years out of your system with no problems!

The air cleaner could have done it. If it happens again, maybe you can figure out where the sound is coming from. I'm glad your subwoofer seems to be doing pretty good. Hopefully you get some more years out of your system with no problems!
I hope so. Im hoping to build a new ranch with a home theater in the basement in the next 2 to 3 years. Just want it all to hold up until then.

I wish I had really been watching the TV because I think I might have seen a flash or something if it was in the room.instead my view was fixated on my little phone .

Robert,

Locate the sub to the left, if the odd noise comes back, then you could spot better. Your Aragon power amp could be. I did sell a lot of Aragon and Acurus made by Mondial in the 90s. I love the sound and the way Aragon is built.

Just thinking loud.

Happy listening.

Back