Was able to "play" around this weekend.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
I was able to play around with the positioning of the MLs and the SimAudio i5080 quite a bit this past weekend.

Position: I found that a good 4' from the back wall was about right in my room. It was able to clear out some "congestion" that I was hearing in the upper frequencies. I had good depth of sound stage but the width still needs some work. I'm sure the tv in between them doesn't help there ;) If I turn my head away from the speakers I can hear these deylayed reflections very clearly, I would guess that a little treatment of the back wall might be a solution here.

SimAudio: Wow what a little powerhouse! I played it very loud and left the room for about 40min just to get it to stretch its legs. It wasn't even close to hot afterwards, quite a contrast to the little oven that is the Forte amp. Even though it wasn't straining much, I felt that the upper frequencies' transients weren't as "quick" I guess (this stuff is hard to explain isn't it?). Down low the SimAudio was as good if not better than the Forte/Parasound duo. Lastly, it sounded much more quiet than the seperates. I would blame this on the Parasound as they are known not to be the most quiet preamps out there but the Forte's 15 year old age might be an issue as well. I'm thinking of using the SimAudio's pre-out to the Forte just to see what I find there. The other thing that isn't quite fair in this comparison is that the Forte/Parasound can be wired with XLRs in a balanced configuration, but I have not aquired these yet. :)

Link to my system: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2674

Beat_Dominator said:
Oh and the woofer screens on my Sequels are a problem. I definately need to re-tape them. :(
Mine are starting to do that too. Get some 1/2" single sided foam weatherstrip from the hardware store. While you're at it, get the screens out the way and do the whole thing, top to bottom, since the foam under the screens will be going bad too. I'll be doing that real soon, because the screens are beginning to vibrate from the foam going bad.

I threw a comforter over my 42" Sony DLP which greatly enhanched the sound stage and got rid of the reflections. DLP sets in between the ML's.

Back