Want to buy ML's but can't decide which ones.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to complicate matters, but when I was shopping, I found a large performance jump going from Theos to Ethos. The Theos just didn't do it for me. Bought the Ethos then upgraded fairly soon to Montis.
When you ask for purchase recommendations on an audio forum, complication is what you're going to get :)

flavio: buy a used pair of summits outstanding speaker u have a speaker that performs both good in the bottom end and top end and easy to drive (92db) efficient since u only have to power the panel, the woofers are self powered. and has the new designed stats.
Unfortunately used Summit price in Europe are still very high, about twice what I intend to spend.

All other things being equal, what noticeable differences are there between an SL3 with a Gen 2 panel (no spars) and an SL3 with a refurbished Gen1 panel?

Can you find a set of Prodigy speakers? I've got those and they sound great. With a new set of panels they sound like new.

Can you find a set of Prodigy speakers? I've got those and they sound great. With a new set of panels they sound like new.
Prodigy asking prices are also very high in Europe. And I don't really like the look of the Prodigy. And it is way too deep for my speaker location.

Last edited:
Tosh, if you don't mind my asking, what hardware are you using for your SL3 active bass? Did you go full active 2-way crossover, or just on the woofer? I like to just add a plate sub amplifier, but they never go up high enough.
It's only the passive bass that needs fixing, so the passive ESL xo/eq stays in place.
I'm using a comically lowbrow Pyramid SEA-3000 3-way active xo and an Acurus amp on the bass.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
It's only the passive bass that needs fixing, so the passive ESL xo/eq stays in place.
I'm using a comically lowbrow Pyramid SEA-3000 3-way active xo and an Acurus amp on the bass.
How is the Acurus amp? I own an Aragon dual monoblock amp and it's wonderful. I've never experienced Acurus. The companies are part of Indy Labs in Indianapolis.

Acurus has a nice looking 5 channel amp.

You must know that Acurus is Latin for 'hollowed-out Aragon'?
Mine started acting like a Jeff Rowland once I put a fat power supply and fat heat sinks in it, and it smokes Aragons for breakfast before pulling Krell's tails, so I have to keep it tied down with my thickest cables.

You must know that Acurus is Latin for 'hollowed-out Aragon'?
Mine started acting like a Jeff Rowland once I put a fat power supply and fat heat sinks in it, and it smokes Aragons for breakfast before pulling Krell's tails, so I have to keep it tied down with my thickest cables.
Sounds like a good value then. I think they are more affordable than Aragon? Someday I plan on having a different home theater setup and go with separate amps and pre-amp rather than my receiver now. Wondering what I will use.

I have narrowed it down to a pair of Ascents with two year old Gen 1 panels, a pair of SL3's with new clearspar panels and upgraded woofers (both cost about the same) or if I let myself go a pair of reQuests with new panels (at an additional EUR 1.000 over the others). Other options are either not available or too expensive for what they offer.
I am wondering if as a newbie Martin Logan owner I would hear the difference between the Ascents and reQuests, especially since I cannot listen to them at the same time or in the same room. And from what I have read here the Ascent is generally considered to be a better SL3, but I have to get to used to the awkward look of the Ascents with the bulging bass enclosure.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of work done on the integration between panel & bass between the ReQuest and the SL3. I agree with you about the "bulging/about-to-fall-over" look of the Ascents!

I have narrowed it down to a pair of Ascents with two year old Gen 1 panels, a pair of SL3's with new clearspar panels and upgraded woofers (both cost about the same) or if I let myself go a pair of reQuests with new panels (at an additional EUR 1.000 over the others). Other options are either not available or too expensive for what they offer.
I am wondering if as a newbie Martin Logan owner I would hear the difference between the Ascents and reQuests, especially since I cannot listen to them at the same time or in the same room. And from what I have read here the Ascent is generally considered to be a better SL3, but I have to get to used to the awkward look of the Ascents with the bulging bass enclosure.
I'd probably go with the SL3 because it's has newer panels and woofers.

a pair of Ascents with two year old Gen 1 panels
Gen 1 panels haven't been made since ~2004-ish when ML switched to Gen 2 (clear spars) for replacement panels.

Why not place a wanted ad for Ascent'i' (MUST be 'i') and wait and see what happens?

Gen 1 panels haven't been made since ~2004-ish when ML switched to Gen 2 (clear spars) for replacement panels.

Why not place a wanted ad for Ascent'i' (MUST be 'i') and wait and see what happens?
I did find a pair of Ascent i's for sale but they have the original panels and with new panels the price would be $1000 more than a pair of regular Ascent's with 2 year old panels. I am not sure if they are worth that premium.

I'm amazed you're finding such new panels out there, esp in the Netherlands.
I was emphasizing the differences between SL3, Ascent, and Ascent'i,' and want to make sure an enthusiast appreciates how much bigger and stiffer the Ascent (and Ascent'i') cabinet is over the SL3's and will make a solid platform for active bass upgrades.

Back