VTL MB 250 schematic

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

Lightloopy

Reaction score
I have a pair of these beasts that are giving me some trouble. One repair technician advised me to call it a day and shelve them. I have an EE friend who has worked on them but a schematic would be a great help. Bea Lamm wants me to send them to VTL and has no local repair recommendations on the East coast.
Appreciate any help from the group or direction.
Thanks!

Lightloopy

Reaction score
Hi Roberto,
My friend went through 1 mono and updated everything he could find in Jan. It has been working fine until it started popping the B+ fuse. Last week one of the tubes glowed very brightly and the B+ went. I replaced the tube and fuse but it was making a intermittent static pop so I shut the whole thing down. The other mono is starting to blow it's B+ but has not been gone through its restoration.
My friend wants to evaluate them again but has done this all without a schematic.
This weekend I was able to find a copy of the VTL book on Ebay which has some basic information and schematics.
I will keep you posted as things develop.
I can tell you the 11A works well with lower powered amps but the CLSII turns its nose up at them.

roberto

Reaction score
Lightloopy, Can I ask which power amp are driving the CLS and the 11A? I do know about the magic in the CLSs...I had all the models...and I was a CLS user for over 26 years.

But my ear tells me that the 11A are more dynamic, with more extension and more easy to set them up. They are very picky with electronics. Not all electronics do a good job on them.

Happy listening!

Lightloopy

Reaction score
Hi Roberto,
I used VTL MB250 w/ the SL3 for 12 years w/ complete satisfaction. I got the 11A when the sale came along. As you know, I was disappointed in the sound initially but in the last few weeks they have really opened up and showing all the strengths you have talked about. I am currently using an MFA D75 stereo amp that sounds great but I still love what the triodes do.
The CLSII has 30 yo panels but I still like what they do with the VTL amp until they broke . I think now that the 11A is warming up it will show the difference between the VTL and D75.
It's like our member with the CLS and CLX- 2 different flavors with strengths and weaknesses.
Thanks!