Quantcast

Vista vs Vantage

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

D

DBen

Guest
What’s up gang...

About to take the ML plunge and curious to hear some feedback. I am building my system from scratch so I am starting with speakers and an integrated amp. What’s the main difference between the Vantage and Vista. From my understanding they both utilize the xstat technology but the Vantage has a self amplified woofer. Is that the only difference?

For the integrated amp I am contemplating the Music Fidelity A3.5…any thoughts on this guy?? Is there a better choice, perhaps that’s a little less expensive?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Dave
 

aliveatfive

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
776
Reaction score
0
DBen said:
What’s up gang...

About to take the ML plunge and curious to hear some feedback. I am building my system from scratch so I am starting with speakers and an integrated amp. What’s the main difference between the Vantage and Vista. From my understanding they both utilize the xstat technology but the Vantage has a self amplified woofer. Is that the only difference?

For the integrated amp I am contemplating the Music Fidelity A3.5…any thoughts on this guy?? Is there a better choice, perhaps that’s a little less expensive?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Dave
My opinion: MF makes a good product. Do not skimp on amplification. YOU WILL HEAR IT!! Money spent on this aspect of the sound experience will make a difference. The Vantage will allow you to choose a lesser powered amplifier. I personally have not heard either, but I do own the Summits and there is a large difference between those and previous ML product.
 

jjay

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
I previously was using ML Aeon 1 speakers which the Vista is the replacement speaker for. The Aeon 1 was a little bass shy so I was using a ML Grotto subwoofer for better bass response. I upgraded to the ML Vantage because they have much better bass. I do not need the ML Grotto any longer for deep bass. If bass is important to you, i believe the ML Vantage is the way to go. Either way you choose, the Vista or Vantage are great speakers.
Jim
 

boutrosa

Active member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
port-au-prince, haiti
Hi

I curently own the Vista speakers. They are excelent. Personally I prefered to put the price difference into a good sub and amp. As you have been told, I have to agree with everyone. The sound quality is the same, the vantage has more bass that you will get from a sub anyways, and either way get a really powerful Amp. It makes a huge difference. I have an outlaw 990 pre/pro and their 7500 amp and bought a lmf1 plus sub I have the vistas as front speakers, cinema i as center and planing on purchasing the scripts soon as rears. I could not be happier with my setup. The sound quality is cristal clear, the preamp is really good for the money. The lmfi mixes very well with the vistas. I am thinking of getting another sub just to fill the room better, even though that one sub has too much power for my room.

Another thing that you may want to keep into consideration would be your room size and wall treatlment. My room is 18 X 14.
 

jmschnur

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
Location
Northern Virginia
I have the same amp as boutrosa with a Lexicon DC-1 and Vantage speakers. I use a subwoofer for the sides and rear speakers in a 7.1 setup (Hafler amps for the other 3 speakers.)

I really like the Vantage with no subwoofer for stereo music. The bass section of the Vantage is well matched and bass guitar for example sounds very nice.

For 7.1, while I set up the system with the Vantage as large so the mains produce some of the basss, I do not think the bass in Vantage is cirtical for good sound.

So I think you choice might depend on your lisitening habits as well. If you listen to a lot of stereo high quality music go with the Vantage. If you will use this mainly in a 5.1 or 7.1 ths Vista might be a better choice.

Boutrosa:

On a side note. When I turn off my system (via the 12 volt) control from the Lexicon) my Cinema I produces a very low high pitched whistle about 1-3 minutes after I turn it off. The sound lasts about 10 seconds or so. Do you hear the same when you turn your system off?

joel
 
R

Rik_Rankin

Guest
boutrosa said:
Hi

I curently own the Vista speakers. They are excelent. Personally I prefered to put the price difference into a good sub and amp. As you have been told, I have to agree with everyone. The sound quality is the same, the vantage has more bass that you will get from a sub anyways, and either way get a really powerful Amp. It makes a huge difference. I have an outlaw 990 pre/pro and their 7500 amp and bought a lmf1 plus sub I have the vistas as front speakers, cinema i as center and planing on purchasing the scripts soon as rears. I could not be happier with my setup. The sound quality is cristal clear, the preamp is really good for the money. The lmfi mixes very well with the vistas. I am thinking of getting another sub just to fill the room better, even though that one sub has too much power for my room.

Another thing that you may want to keep into consideration would be your room size and wall treatlment. My room is 18 X 14.
The vista has a very Hi Fi sounding bass section with it's juke box like bass. Real bass does not sound like that (as prominent as they made it.) Go listen to a real life jazz trio; the bass is not in you face or overpowering the other instruments like it is on this speaker. It sounds like HI FI, not real music. It looks bad and it sounds like Hi Fi. I wonder who designed this speaker
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
Rik_Rankin said:
The vista has a very Hi Fi sounding bass section with it's juke box like bass. Real bass does not sound like that (as prominent as they made it.) Go listen to a real life jazz trio; the bass is not in you face or overpowering the other instruments like it is on this speaker. It sounds like HI FI, not real music. It looks bad and it sounds like Hi Fi. I wonder who designed this speaker
I really dont understand what you're trying to get at. You mean to tell me that it's too HiFi so it sounds bad? :confused:
 
R

Rik_Rankin

Guest
Joey_V said:
I really dont understand what you're trying to get at. You mean to tell me that it's too HiFi so it sounds bad? :confused:
yes......HI FI sounds artificial. I want something that sounds like real music. Booming bass is not real. Real bass sounds tight and blends in the backround and fills in the lower registers unless it is a solo. If the new ML products could do the brightness of horns without adding glare or grain to the sound. That is not the case. The new line is intentionally tilted up for better HT performance. This also accentuates imperfections on recordings and downstream equipment. New stereo system is going to sound like true live music, no matter how expensive. it should however make the listening experience pleasant by not imposing it's own character on the music
 

twich54

Forum Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
6,590
Reaction score
24
Location
SE Pa
Dave, Good day, I've been a very satisfied Vantage owner for 9 months now. Your plans to go with an integrated amp will give more tube options for instance should you go with the Vantages, since their Bass driver is powered, yet the Vista with its lower price point and non-powered bass driver would allow you to put more $$$ into associated components, I say "listen" to your options and then make your decission.

Have fun !
 
R

Rik_Rankin

Guest
twich54 said:
Dave, Good day, I've been a very satisfied Vantage owner for 9 months now. Your plans to go with an integrated amp will give more tube options for instance should you go with the Vantages, since their Bass driver is powered, yet the Vista with its lower price point and non-powered bass driver would allow you to put more $$$ into associated components, I say "listen" to your options and then make your decission.

Have fun !
Or he could buy an older ML speaker and save even more money. Just because you have a tin ear doesn't mean others do. Why don't you try listening to some live music and then come back and tell me the new line sounds like real music. It was designed for HT. Even Audioport, ML's closest dealer says they stink and offered their Summits in perfect condition for $6500 just to get rid of them
 

boutrosa

Active member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
port-au-prince, haiti
Hi Joel,

I don't have the problem that you are having. Try putting the electric cable of the cinema on a switched output.

As far as the bass comment by rick, I understand, what you are saying but the boomy bass that you may have heard has to do with the placement of the speaker and room treatment. I have to say that I also crossovered the bass at 60 hertz to my subwoffer and it makes a nice difference.
 

jmschnur

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
Location
Northern Virginia
Each to their own I would say.

I have gone to at least 8 live operas, 10 piano recitals, several visits ot jazz clubs and some other concerts a year over the past 5 years in quality halls. So I do have some basis for comparison.

After consderable tweakng (room treatments, speaker placment, etc) I have found the Vantage's to be very very good for stereo music listening. I also have a set of older B&W 801s which are not bad for music either in a larger room. However we find that we listen to the Vantages when we want to hear Jazz, solo piano, and intimate vocals.


Joel
 

Craig

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1
Location
U.S.
HI FI sounds artificial
If a systems sounds artificial I would refer to it as "Low-Fidelity" rather than "High-Fidelity".
Real bass sounds tight and blends in the backround and fills in the lower registers unless it is a solo.
Yes it does and tight integrated bass is exactly what the newer MLs do so well.

The new line is intentionally tilted up for better HT performance. This also accentuates imperfections on recordings and downstream equipment.
Each ML electrostat model has varying degrees of tilt as do most conventional and speakers. Tilting the speaker is not a bad thing. Can you share with us how degree of tilt improves HT performance at the expense of 2 channel performance?

Even Audioport, ML's closest dealer says they stink and offered their Summits in perfect condition for $6500 just to get rid of them
Someone got a great deal. According to Audioport's website it looks like they still carry the ML line.

I find the Summits sound very natural and do not add any glare or grain to horns or any other instruments. "To each his own". I find the new ML line to be a large step in the right direction.
 

jmschnur

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
Location
Northern Virginia
Boutrosa,

Yes- if I switch off the power to the Cinema at the same time as the 7500 there is no sound later on. There is no switched power output from the Lexicon. Are there ones that are driven by 12 volts?

As long as the Cinema I is not hurt by this effect-it is really no problem for me. I was just intrigued since the Vantages do not do this.

Joel
 

boutrosa

Active member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
port-au-prince, haiti
there are some power supplies that accept a 12volt switched cable. You can alsways put one for all of your electrostatic speakers if its really a problem.
 

boutrosa

Active member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
port-au-prince, haiti
Joel,

The only problem that i have with the 7500 is that it sound better after about 1/2 hour of play time. Did you ever experience this? The sound quality gets alot better. the sound stage gets deeper. Is this with all amps?
 
Top