Vista/Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taz

Looking at these two they seem to be the same except for the power amp for the bass driver. Am I looking at this right if so the vista seems to be a great value.

As far as I have seen, you are correct. The only other difference I am aware of is the cross-over for the woofer is higher for the Vista since the woofer is the "traditional" baffle design. I have not heard either one yet but I have also heard great things about both.

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

That is what it looks like. I am trying to decide between new Vistas or used Ascents i.

I have listened to both the Vista and the Vantage in my dealers showroom. The Vistas are very good for the money but do not go as deep in the bass as the Vantage. The Vantage's low end is also tighter and better defined. I went with the Vantage. If you can afford the extra money the Vantage is the way to go. Both are FANTASTIC speakers for the money.

Hope this helps!

Tim Corn
Muskogee, OK

I would prefer not to spend that much and I was thinking using a good sub which I already have will the difference be that great. Also where would the Ascent i fit into this comparison

I have not heard the Ascent so I cannot comment.

I did hear the Vista with an Avalon sub and it was fantastic, probaby a bit better than the Vantage but.... the Avalon sub was $3500!! Depending on your sub you could easily approach the Vantage bass performance or even surpass it. (with careful setup of course)

Tim

That is what I was thinking, now I need to decide between Vista or used ascent i

If you are doing a 2 channel system the Vantages would be a better choice.

If you are doing a home theater and cannot get a sub + Vantage I would reccomend the Vista plus a $899 Abyss as this will outperform the vantage in a home theater application.

If you can get the Descent or Depth to blend well with the Vista in your room, and if you were doing a music-movies system, maybe the Vista would be the way to go.

For a 2 channel system, Vantage :)

Just got back from my dealer auditioning the Vista against the Vantage. In that room I much preferred the (wait for it - oops) Vista. Remember in the UK the brick built rooms do hold the bass better. The Vista just sounded more airy whereas, dare I say, the Vantage sounded more like a dynamic speaker. I know that is sacrilege for ML Owners but MY ears told me they were almost like my JM Lab 927be's. The Vista was a revelation!!

AlanBstone said:
Just got back from my dealer auditioning the Vista against the Vantage. In that room I much preferred the (wait for it - oops) Vista. Remember in the UK the brick built rooms do hold the bass better. The Vista just sounded more airy whereas, dare I say, the Vantage sounded more like a dynamic speaker. I know that is sacrilege for ML Owners but MY ears told me they were almost like my JM Lab 927be's. The Vista was a revelation!!
:) Brick built rooms hold bass better? not in my experience...comment on where the Vista was placed wrt to the Vantage....how far away from both the side and back walls...thanks Alan.

Both speakers were placed in the same place (auditioned separately). They were about 5' from the back wall and 4' from the side walls and 8 - 9 ' apart with very good Krell amplification and Copland CD (balanced connection) with Transparent speaker cable. American homes with their non-brick walls DO lose bass which is why most US equipment is 'bass heavy' to compensate.

This is true to a point. Wilson even makes different models for US and other parts of the world. The normal home environment in Japan or Norway is much different than in the states and it sure does effect the sound. Just a tidbit of info. :)

AlanBstone said:
Both speakers were placed in the same place (auditioned separately). They were about 5' from the back wall and 4' from the side walls and 8 - 9 ' apart with very good Krell amplification and Copland CD (balanced connection) with Transparent speaker cable.
Certainly that's a good A-B comparison then

AlanBstone said:
American homes with their non-brick walls DO lose bass which is why most US equipment is 'bass heavy' to compensate.
In my experience, the placement of the sub/mains is more important than the type of walls. Subs/bass produce very long wavelengths; standing waves and cancellation seem to be the biggest problem which is dependent on the size and type of room. I agree that hard brick walls cause more reflection, but that usually leads to room treatment required for the higher frequencies. Hmmm...I'm not sure about most US equipment being bass heavy...have you measured that?

Last edited:
Somehow I have a hard time believing that the Vistas are superior to the Vantage - especially on the basis of "air". The Vantage have a powered woofer, which displaces some of that amp draw, and the panel is completely free of cabinet colorations (cabinet behind part of the panel).

I think, what you heard was mismanaged bass integration in the room - which made the Vantage sound slower or less airy than the less bass-extending Vistas.

Joey_V said:
Somehow I have a hard time believing that the Vistas are superior to the Vantage - especially on the basis of "air". The Vantage have a powered woofer, which displaces some of that amp draw, and the panel is completely free of cabinet colorations (cabinet behind part of the panel).

I think, what you heard was mismanaged bass integration in the room - which made the Vantage sound slower or less airy than the less bass-extending Vistas.
I not sure it is that far fetched the speakers are almost identical except for the power amp for the bass. So depending on your preference on bass I could see it.

Taz said:
I not sure it is that far fetched the speakers are almost identical except for the power amp for the bass. So depending on your preference on bass I could see it.

I think it may have more to do with room interaction and response. Bass frequencies are very easy to screw up in different rooms. And depending on how the bass driver(s) load the room and the dimensions of the room, and speaker and listener placement, I could see someone coming to such a conclusion. Mess ups in the bass region can ruin the whole spectrum and trash an otherwise marvelous setup. :)

Audiophiliac said:
I think it may have more to do with room interaction and response. Bass frequencies are very easy to screw up in different rooms. And depending on how the bass driver(s) load the room and the dimensions of the room, and speaker and listener placement, I could see someone coming to such a conclusion. Mess ups in the bass region can ruin the whole spectrum and trash an otherwise marvelous setup. :)

Exactly my point.... :)

Taz said:
I would think the mids and highs on the Vantage would be better then the Vista, considering the Vantages built in mono amps would take a load off your main amp. The only load your main amp would have to deal with would be the ESL panel.

On the Vista your main amp will have to deal with the load of both the ESL and the bass driver, so your amp will have to work harder thus robbing power from the ESL. Vantage is basically a bi-amped speaker right out of the box, so ask any member if bi-amping their Logan’s made any difference by dedicating an amp channel to the ESL panel.

Most if not everyone will tell you the best combination with your Logan’s is solid-state amps for the bass driver and Tubes for the ESL panels. So here you go get the Vantage and a tube amp and your all set.

Latest posts

Back