Vista sparking

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't send your panels to them, they send new ones to you. So the recycling is up to you. Hang 'em on a wall as artwork. Take the mylar out of the stators and use the stators as vent grills. Make a couple of chairs and use the panels as chair-backs. Seal the ends with more plastic and use them as long bird baths. There's a million ideas!

You can take it off for a shower, there are six screws in total you need to remove. 4 at the bottom and 2 behind the panel. Once you've got the frame off. You'll need to remove the tensioner nuts at the bottom and some screws on the frame itself. After that you slide the top struct off and pull the frame apart. I washed mine using simple green, which didn't seem to have any negative impact on the panels. When you wash your panel, simply spray the cleaner on and agitate with a soft dense makeup brush. Then rinse it really good with tap water. Finally, you'll want to flush it with plenty of distilled water. You can get them pretty cheaply at Walmart for 97cents/4L. Dry it as best as you can, and then put it in a shady place to dry for couple of days. Then you should be good to go. The makeup brush is a very useful tool even for regular cleaning. I used the brush to clean mine regularly with vacuum. The brush turned black at the first time and I can never wash the color off the brush anymore. Most likely the panel has attracted lots of micro particles of dust which is very hard to wash off, but that also means that the brush works. Make sure you get a soft brush as dense as possible so it'll be the most efficient. Good luck.
You have been most helpful, and I have the rails off, but I feel real squirly/unsure about taking the front and rear black 'protection' panels off of the mylar sound panel if that is what you are saying. There has to be a decent insulator between those three panels, and I don't want to damage them. It sounds like you actually cleaned the center mylar panel w/o the black panels attached. I am deducing that the high voltage insulation is the black coating on those metal panels which would also make them safe to touch when the panel is being driven. Yes?

You don't send your panels to them, they send new ones to you. So the recycling is up to you. Hang 'em on a wall as artwork. Take the mylar out of the stators and use the stators as vent grills. Make a couple of chairs and use the panels as chair-backs. Seal the ends with more plastic and use them as long bird baths. There's a million ideas!
Maybe I could cook hot dogs on them too. Really??? Thanks for the help.

You have been most helpful, and I have the rails off, but I feel real squirly/unsure about taking the front and rear black 'protection' panels off of the mylar sound panel if that is what you are saying. There has to be a decent insulator between those three panels, and I don't want to damage them. It sounds like you actually cleaned the center mylar panel w/o the black panels attached. I am deducing that the high voltage insulation is the black coating on those metal panels which would also make them safe to touch when the panel is being driven. Yes?
You can’t take them off. If you did then the panel is done. What you should do is to take the whole panel i.e. the front and back stator and the Mylar film together as a single piece into the shower. Clean it using a soft brush with Simple Green as best as you can. Rinse it as best as you can. And then dry it completely. Don’t put it under the sun tho, the Mylar film won’t like it. PS: the front and back mesh are not only for protection, they carry the signal from your amplifier to move the positively charged Mylar film to make sound.

You can’t take them off. If you did then the panel is done. What you should do is to take the whole panel i.e. the front and back stator and the Mylar film together as a single piece into the shower. Clean it using a soft brush with Simple Green as best as you can. Rinse it as best as you can. And then dry it completely. Don’t put it under the sun tho, the Mylar film won’t like it. PS: the front and back mesh are not only for protection, they carry the signal from your amplifier to move the positively charged Mylar film to make sound.
That is what I half expected and why I stopped. Got it. The water can penetrate and flow inside better than the vacuum did. Thanx much. By the way, I now realize that the black panels serve both as the audio signal and the protection - the black coating does the trick. The older stats had separate audio and cover panels.

Latest posts

Back