Vintage/classic gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scodo68

Reaction score
Any of you try using older gear on there ml's? I have a marantz 2275 that sounds nice and a sansui au-9900a that is out for repair but im looking forward to putting it in the mix.

meitner gear here. amps. might move to newer stuff (classe dr-singledigit) in the near future. also have a pair of Mac MC-60 with which i've driven the panels.

I've been helping friends put together cheap, but good sounding analog rigs so they can spin vinyl.

Right now I have an early 70's Sansui 7070 reciever ($59.00) a pair of JBL 62T's ($40.00) and I just picked up a Technics SL 1700 for $50.00. For about $150.00 it's a pretty darn good sounding rig.

Satch

I've been helping friends put together cheap, but good sounding analog rigs so they can spin vinyl.

Right now I have an early 70's Sansui 7070 reciever ($59.00) a pair of JBL 62T's ($40.00) and I just picked up a Technics SL 1700 for $50.00. For about $150.00 it's a pretty darn good sounding rig.

Satch

that is really cool... I remember having to pick between the Technics SL-1200 (I think) or the Thorens TD-145.... Staring at the promo sheets..(the technics was a very nice color glossy...with all the specs and descr of the direct drive turntable - and why it was better...) I picked the Thorens... If you can believe this... I CAN NOT FIND my Thorens.... My dad had his basement re-done-- and I actually unscrewed some paneling to look under the steps... alas it wasn't there... I'm guessing he threw it out....

I ran my CLS for years with Carver Silver 7T mono blocks. Alas the CLS gone but I still have the amps pushing some Prodigy's.

den051907a.jpg

Yamaha CX-2000 (Pre) and MX-2000 (Amp) with Ascent i. Rich, fluid sound without any strain.

From the late 70's/ early 80's. Cool VU meters too!

That is some special gear...

Last edited:
I ran my CLS for years with Carver Silver 7T mono blocks. Alas the CLS gone but I still have the amps pushing some Prodigy's.

den051907a.jpg

Don't fret too much Luther, cause I am taking good care of them and just bought new panels for them as well so they will be making sweet tunes for many more years!

I'll have to do that. Likewise, I am filled to the brim with new speakers and amps. Let's find some time soon and share a brew and some tunes.

While I can't compete with you 'big boys toys', I still use my Marantz 2270 as a pre into a Yamaha MX-800U for juice. and a Thorens 125 MKII for analog.

The Marantz just has a 'sound', colored or not but, I like it :p, in fact, I have two of them, the other drives my JBL L-56's.

It's all about synergy, :music:, do you like David Gilmore's fret work or Diane Shuur's voice in the middle of the room, or just to the right? Three martini's for me please :D

Attachments

• !Thorens.jpg
    !Thorens.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 224
I used to have a Marantz 2235 (I think) back in the 70's. Cool looking little tube amp, sounded great. I'd like to find another one and fix it up. I just had a pair of JBL L-90's re-foamed (?) repaired. The outside ring of the cone rotted off. I hear that's pretty common for that era JBL. Anyway that's been repaired and I'll try them out tomorrow with the Sansui 7070.

I know what you mean about the sound of those old Marantz tuners, I like it too. :)

Satch

I love the marantz. My aunt has my 2230. Man if I could have afforded the 2270 at the time. Probably a 100 buck difference at the time.

Just hooked up the re-coned JBL L-96's to the Sansui 7070 receiver, tuned in a few radio stations and then threw on Led Zeppelin and cranked up Good Times Bad Times.....> How Many More Times.... Now for some Hendrix, Yeah now! :D

I love the marantz. My aunt has my 2230. Man if I could have afforded the 2270 at the time. Probably a 100 buck difference at the time.

The Marantz 2230 has one of the best phono stages according to the Marantz mafia :bowdown:, they all need a refurb by now but well worth the effort and $$'s, 'ol Saul knew his way around the 'sound'. These old beauties amp sections weren't built for ML's current and ohm loads tho :(

I have a Marantz Model 112 tuner. Love those blue lights and the feel of that gyroscope tuning, and it still works great. I bought it about 10 years ago (used, of course) for about $120. It came in a wooden case that was in bad shape, so I discarded it.

Funny thing is that on the way to buy it I stopped to check a lottery ticket I had, and found that I had won $160. So the tuner was really free !

There is a picture on my system thread.

I used to have a Dyna Stereo 70 that I had modified extensively after buying it used. Even unmodified (and with the original tubes), driving my Quad 57's it sounded much better than my Bedini 20/20 (or was it 25/25?) SS Class A amp. I sold the Bedini and used part of the money to buy parts for the Dyna.

Back