Very Good Chinese Preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Bought a couple of preamps to play with - I was getting bored, as you do.

One of them is an absolute peach. Mobile pic only - but I rate it quite considerably better than the EAR868PL I had a while back, however it doesn't have a phono stage like the EAR did. I'm not sensationalising here - it is hands down better in my system than the EAR was.

It is a modified Cayin SC-10. I'm not sure how it differs, but sonically it is top rate. I bought it blind 2nd hand off ebay as I was pretty astonished by this system I reported on a while back: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...i-Fi-Show-2009&p=109642&viewfull=1#post109642.

Sales blurb: "This top of the line preamplifier features tube rectification and gain in a classic dual monaural layout. Totally transparent yet rich with detail, this all tube preamplifier sets a new benchmark in ultra high performance audio. Designed and engineered using the finest components, the SC-10 gives ruler flat response, tremendous bandwidth, huge dynamic range, and low levels of distortion. The SC-10 utilizes four 6922 and two 5AR4 tubes coupled with two separate power packs in a dual mono-configuration giving the SC-10 unsurpassed control over all types of sonic requirements. A true reference sound with typical Cayin value."

Just goes to show that some Chinese kit is very good indeed. I think this one will stay a while. Mine is running 274Bs rather than 5AR4s. It sounds like the bolded bits - really! Plus the soundstaging is absolutely first rate. Spacious and capable of projecting both forward and backwards - very 3D!

As always the same components in different systems/rooms give different results. But I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that this is a real contender, and it easily compares with expensive US and UK designs. It cost £900 odd purely because it has next to no recognition as a quality brand in the UK, I suspect. Casework build quality is very high. Much higher visually than the 845 amps or CD player featured in the show report link, for some reason.

BTW: when I say it is modified it was done by Cayin, and its model designation is C-100. It has an SC-10 remote. It has a marking stating that the modification was done for Hit Audio. It is physically huge and very heavy. Retail for a SC-10 seems to be 5000 Euro. Much less from some Chinese sellers, if you have the guts to trust one:)

Attachments

• IMG_20130424_195736.jpg
    IMG_20130424_195736.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,213
Last edited:
Yeah, but how well does it do Surround Sound:)

Huh? Apogees do surround sound with only 2 speakers Joe. Only the inferior ML CLX requires 4 speakers to do the same job, so I hear:D:devil: And even then, not quite so well...:)

Back