Very bad news

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi all,

One week ago, I apparently suffered a "sudden hearing loss" due to apparent nerve damage.

I have lost 50% +/- of my hearing in the right ear accompanied by tinnitus.

Am currently taking predizone to try to reverse damage.

May take three months to determine results.

Am looking at "over the counter supplements" to reduce ringing in the ear.

Any suggestions?

GG

Gordon,

I really feel for you. I had tinnitus for about a month many years ago, and got really desperate, but it passed. Fortunately my hearing is okay. Don't make the mistake of going on the net to any forum discussing it; I did, and had a rough time reading the stuff there.

If you can, try to take as little prednisone as possible, as the long-term side-effects are unpleasant; I know first-hand as I was on it for about 6 years.

For supplements I suggest that you consult a homeopath/naturopath.

Hang in there buddy.

Bernard

Last edited:
Thank you Bernard,

I will be taking pred for a max of ten to 12 days including the "taper" period. This will hopefully decrease the swelling in "cranial nerve no. 8", which carries the auditory signal from the ear to the brain and the apparent cause of the current problem.

Hard to find definitive info on recommended dosage amounts.

I trust all on this forum will be kind and respectful.

And as I said, looking for any personal experiences / observations from those who have gone through something similar.

Gordon

The rheumatologist I go to prescribes 1mg of Prednisone per kilogram of weight as a start.

Hi gordon,very sorry to hear this ,i to suffer from it, after falling asleep with my head over the couch arm.had it for many years.
I take endep ,at a low dosage.,
its a anti depressant,but when used at low dosage it masks pain,it takes the edge of it. And i hope against hope that you can get over it
soon as .
But if you are like me ,and it lasts,i will say you get used to it somewhat,but i have also found relief getting my neck cracked at the physio.you need it done in a quick motion ,doing it slow agrivates it,as well as not being able to crack it,can also lead to it flairing .this has really helped when it has got very bad,used to go once a week now about every five weeks. All this was found out through trial and error,
with me i can only get cracked in one direction ,which is to the right.you have a few vertabra you can do this to,you have to find out which,by trial and error.
Gordon every case is very much different to the next, so unless yours came about in a similar manner,this info might not be for you.
I am still looking and havent given up,even after a couple of opps and a fair share of ct scans etc and dare i say about 14 grand later .
Very keen to find out any new treatments that may help.
Dont give up, and dont let this bastard of a thing get the better of you mate. one last thing you can also get injections into some nerves in the neck, that will stop it for about three months at a time,it didn't work for me, it may for you.

Last edited:
Gordon, one other thing to try is full-body massage. I found that it managed to make the ringing disappear for a few hours. Find a therapist who does a combination of Swedish and Shiatsu. Also (easy to say) try to minimize stress as much as possible.

Gordon -

My father in law forgot ear protection going to the gun range - tinnintus and hearing loss since then. Steroids have some evidence that it helps, but I think the studies are shaky at best, which is why there is not a standardized treatment regimen and exact dosing specifics.

My experience has not been good with significant sensorineural hearing loss.... I wish you the best and that your hearing comes back with the steroids.

Gordon, you have my deepest sympathies. Like some of the other guys above I suffer a milder form of this and at 90db my ears actually rattle so it's a reminder to turn the volume down.
Any idea what the cause might have been? (You seem far too sensible to have been listening at more than 85db)
I've heard of cases of folk falling asleep on the train with one ear against the window and arriving at their destination deaf in the affected ear.
Air travel can also be a contributor. (My ears usually take 2 days to recover fully from this)

Is it possible that they are mistaken with the diagnosis i.e. do you find the levels of hearing and frequency loss to be at a constant level of impairment or does it seem to vary?
If it varies I would view that as a very hopeful sign.
Best regards

Gordon, if you have trouble falling asleep get one of those noise machines that generate sounds of waterfalls, rain, etc.

Perversely listening to the hi-fi will help. The higher the ambient noise levels are the less noticeable any ringing in the ears is. It is a well known recommendation and touches on what Bernard said.

Thank you all for the kind words.

The good news is the bad news. It will take time to determine the final amount of hearing loss.

Best case is that the pred works and all will be back to normal.

Worst case is that current is status quo and I get a hearing aid that can mask the tinnitus.

Won't know for probably three months.

I should have named this thread something different, say "Hearing Loss Part One" so all can read about it and hopefully glean some good information as the process continues.

Maybe Dave can do that.

As for now, I have a minor "hiss" in my right ear and the listening test shows that I can't hear anything above 4K. Fortunately, have no problem sleeping at this point.

I am hopeful now that I've recovered from the initial emotional hit and have received some kind support from all who have posted.

Thank you again.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon, sorry to read about your hearing issue , my brother had a similar issue and he recovered about 95 %. I am hoping an even better result for you . Hang in there !

Larry

Latest posts

Back