Velodyne SMS-1 Update

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
"Assuming all goes well, dealers who have placed orders should have the SMS-1 by the end of October."

From Velodyne Support Thread on AVS

SMS-1 on the way?

Dan,

Your, SMS-1, is on the way, correct? :)

I don't want to be too presumptuous, though I trust you will honor us, with a review of the, "Velodyne SMS-1", after you had a chance to try it out on your system... :D :D :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Dan,
Your, SMS-1, is on the way, correct?

Trying to get the money together to be able to get one when released. I have some $$$$ now, but I will need to sell my Denon 2200 and possibly my other Xover a Sumo Delilah, to be able to fund the purchase. I can only use money from selling stuff to purchase new things, as I have made TOO MANY purchases over the past year or so with other funds :) So in order to keep the family life from turning into complete chaos, I need to toe the line.

For ordering, I need to check stores to see if they are taking pre-orders. One place I checked where I bought some Audioquest cables, were not taking pre-orders, but did carry Velodyne products. In fact this place did not even know about the product until I told them :eek:

I don't want to be too presumptuous, though I trust you will honor us, with a review of the, "Velodyne SMS-1", after you had a chance to try it out on your system...

When I get the chance to purchase one, and I really want to get one, I will post my thoughts on it and the changes it made in my room. Currently my room has some major peaks and valleys below 200Hz, and it will be interesting to see how the SMS-1 tackles them.

Besides the EQing of the low end, I am really looking forward to the remote control for the ability to vary volume levels and Xover point, for adding or subtracting depending on the source. Right now my current Xover is at my reach from the couch to be able to do this...but with a remote it will be even better!!!

Dan

Velodyne SMS-1

Dan,

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Velodyne SMS-1. It seems to be a very useful and valuable measurement device for base control.

I've spent my wad this year too. :rolleyes: But, I'm already making plans fot my next purchases, as always... ;)

The SMS-1 is one my list... As well as, my Christmas List.
I have been very good this year too...
I hope, Santa, comes through for me... :)

Cheers

-Robin

I just contacted one place about the SMS-1. MSRP is $699 and the store I called will be selling for $599. I am sure you will see the price slightly lower from other places. My guess would be $500 - $550 range...but only time will tell. Not sure if I will pick one up for $599 or wait to see what prices will be. Can I wait for $50 lower or will I just pick one up due to impatience... ha ha ha

Time to post my add for my Denon in Audiogon to sell. :D

Dan

Alternative?

What about Behringer DEQ2496? I know that the DSP8024 had a wonderful effect in a (high end) system of a friend of mine. This one has a 10 band parametric EQ, a measurement mic input, parallel to param EQ also 31 band graphical EQ. Here in Europe the street price should be around 350 EUR with the measurement mic.
Anybody tried this device already?
BTW - can be used as a D/A converter too.
Have planned to get one in next 2-3 months to try.
Recently have bought a simple Behringer 31-band graphical EQ and have successfully eliminated a terrible +12dB @ 40Hz peak in my room; if there are any unwanted side effects I was not able to hear them - IMO the benefits outweigh any drawbacks by wide margin.
Has anyone tried to make a comparison of the efficacy of bass traps vs. EQ?
Had to throw out my bass traps (WAF).

miljac said:
What about Behringer DEQ2496?

There has been a lot of talk about this unit over at the Asylum. Mostly good things, but a few bad regarding build quality - but just a few. Stop over there to read more about it.

The Behringer is an option as you state, but I am just looking for low end EQ and Velodyne already has this product as part of their DD line of subs, so you know it is a tried and tested product, and the support by Velodyne is superb. They even have a presence over at AVS Forum for questions and answers. So for me I plan on going with the SMS-1. I just need to get more cash together....donations anyone :rolleyes: Ha Ha ha....

Dan

DTB300 said:
There has been a lot of talk about this unit over at the Asylum. Mostly good things, but a few bad regarding build quality - but just a few. Stop over there to read more about it.

The Behringer is an option as you state, but I am just looking for low end EQ and Velodyne already has this product as part of their DD line of subs, so you know it is a tried and tested product, and the support by Velodyne is superb. They even have a presence over at AVS Forum for questions and answers. So for me I plan on going with the SMS-1. I just need to get more cash together....donations anyone :rolleyes: Ha Ha ha....

Dan

Dan,

thanks. Will have a look @ the Asylum.

I have decided to go for the Behringer (price!) - in Europe the Velodyne should cost about 900 EUR, have the same cash problem as you therefore the delay :(
I believe that we will be able to exchange experiences then.

SMS-1 Availability

I called three of the four stores in the area who are listed as Velodyne Dealers by the Velodyne website concerning the SMS-1 product.

The fourth one is the store I have been talking to about the SMS-1 for a month or so, and they have informed me that the SMS-1's should be shipping in about a week, and I will be contacted to pickup my unit once they arrive :) I have sold off some old equipment, so my funds are available, hence the better-half has no problems with the new purchase :p

The other three stores had absolutely NO CLUE whatsoever about the product at all. They have not heard about it, knew nothing about it, did not know when it would be available, etc. etc. etc.

It always seems that Audio Stores are the last ones to know about new products from vendors. Thank goodness for the Internet and the throng of insane audioholics to keep us all up to date!!!!

Dan

Velodyne SMS-1...

DTB300 said:
Thank goodness for the Internet and the throng of insane audioholics to keep us all up to date!!!!

Dan

Dan,

I hope you and I, are included in that, 'throng of insane audioholics keeping people up-to-date'? :D :D

I can't wait for your review.... :D

Cheers

-Robin

DTB300 said:
I called three of the four stores in the area who are listed as Velodyne Dealers by the Velodyne website concerning the SMS-1 product.

The fourth one is the store I have been talking to about the SMS-1 for a month or so, and they have informed me that the SMS-1's should be shipping in about a week, and I will be contacted to pickup my unit once they arrive :) I have sold off some old equipment, so my funds are available, hence the better-half has no problems with the new purchase :p

The other three stores had absolutely NO CLUE whatsoever about the product at all. They have not heard about it, knew nothing about it, did not know when it would be available, etc. etc. etc.

It always seems that Audio Stores are the last ones to know about new products from vendors. Thank goodness for the Internet and the throng of insane audioholics to keep us all up to date!!!!

Dan

Nice.

Let us know what you think when you get it. If I can get one under $500 I may consider getting one my self.

Back