Vantage vs. Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has there been any reliable word on when the new CLX will be on the street or in the stores? Also, I wonder what thier sensitivity will be? Hopefully, they will have improved sensitivity over the CLS allowing them to be driven with lesser powered tube amps than thier predecessors.

I do not want to burst anyone hopes but I did ask and I was told it is still just talk and nothing else. This is not to say that it will not happen but I believe we may be a year out or so. I know Gayle said he would like to do another design like the CLS but that almost bankrupted the corporation the first time out.

My guess it will be a package with a design similar to the CLS and a sub but that is a guess. I believe there would be too many trade offs to create enough bass and keep the "magic" of the CLS design.

Time will tell and I would not put off any immediate purchases inless you are willing to wait a long time.

Jeff :cool:

Jeff Zaret said:
I do not want to burst anyone hopes but I did ask and I was told it is still just talk and nothing else. This is not to say that it will not happen but I believe we may be a year out or so. I know Gayle said he would like to do another design like the CLS but that almost bankrupted the corporation the first time out.

My guess it will be a package with a design similar to the CLS and a sub but that is a guess. I believe there would be too many trade offs to create enough bass and keep the "magic" of the CLS design.

Time will tell and I would not put off any immediate purchases inless you are willing to wait a long time.

Jeff :cool:
:p Come on Jeff, dream with us...if the project is not near, why they have added at the new subs Descent i and Depth i the CLX frecuency cut position?... :rolleyes: I think that the time is near to have them...perhaps at the CES in Vegas :eek: ,...happy listening,
Roberto.

All I know is that my friend Steve (stesom) has told me that ML told him about a Super Summit that will retail for approximately $17K... this is atleast 2 years out.

Now if this is the CLX, I dont know. All I know is that we have something BIG to look forward to.

Joey :)

PS
It never ends. And may it never.... ;) . Keep the journey alive.

The talk of the Summit's demise is a little pre-emptive. Should the CLX manifest itself, we may find this speaker system more expensive than suggested, plus it would fill a different niche in the ML lineup. The Summit will still remain at the top of ML's normal lineup.

I agree with Roberto that it would seem way too soon for ML to put a crossover point on the descent-i at this time for a speaker that they were more than a year away from releasing. Obviously it is all just speculation on our part, but my guess is they are closer to releasing something new than we think.

I think the Summit is, and for a few years will continue to be, the flagship product in MLs hybrid line, but I imagine the CLX as a throwback to a more pure all-ESL design. There will always be those who love ESL's, but need the dynamics and power in low end of a hybrid design, and those who would prefer the pure tonality through the harmonic spectrum that an all ESL, crossoverless design would provide (you and me both, Roberto).

As for price, who knows? Depending on the technology and electronics, it could be less than the Summit or much more. I have no idea, but I imagine it will be worth what they will charge, just as I think the Summit is worth the price.

Rich has some good points...

I would like to add, I believe it will cost a lot. Lets not forget how much the Stage costs when you take into account how small it is! ML is my favorite speaker company, no doubt, but you cant deny how much they charge with certain things (like their spikes). The CLX will be costly. I wouldnt be surprised if it costs more than the Summits.

Back