Vantage vs Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

J Pesonen

I'm considering buying a pair of Vantage to replace my former Ascent i speakers. I haven't listened them yet, so I would like to have some thoughts from you guys before I'll decide wheteher I should just go for the Summits instead.

The fact is that Summits are almost double the price of Vantages in here. I certainly could afford both at the moment, but more expensive option would mean that I'd have to use some mid-end electronics for a couple of months with them.

Anyway, I'm interested what Summits can offer that Vantages doesn't? Every little detail is important at this point. I'd like to hear the differences in panel and woofer region separetely, and what's more important - how they wind up together in both (I recall that Summits have lower xo-point). Is the additional bass management control really useful or will the Vantage's 35Hz knob do the trick as well? How about the soundstaging, is the any differences at all?

Last edited:
I'll help you out once I get back and tune the Summits to my room.. should be in 2-3 days. I had the Vantages for about a 3 week period, then there was like a 2 week lull, then now I got Summits.

I'll let you know my impressions.

Jani, If you have the $$$ and a listening room that is greater than 350 sq ft, then buy all means go the Summitt route. You said that you would live with mid level associated equipment for a few months with the Summitt's, if that's the case fine, otherwise I feel the Vantage's paired with top notch componetry is a better way to go. FWIW my room is 400 sq ft.

I tried both and went for Summits

If you can do the Summits, then go ahead. Though I agree with above about room size. They will only get better as you improve your upstream components. The Vantages are great speakers and will make many folks happy. But I started out there and traded to the Summits within a week. The Summits play louder more comfortably and their bass is world class for me.

I used to have Audio Physic Virgos backed up by two Bag End Infra 18inch subs. The Summits have no problem putting out integrated base all the way down with no need for further bass reinforcement.

But as many say, and they are correct, trust your own ears since we ain’t paying for your stuff :D

Terve kaima,

And no more finnish is appropriate here I guess :)

I just want to point out that in my opinion Summits can be played with rather poor electronics with surprisingly good results. I have FMJ CD36 and FMJ A-32 and testdrived Summits and the sound was pretty much awesome. Actually I'm currently waiting for my Summits to arrive, bought them about three weeks ago.

Definitely I will invest to electronics in the future and hope to also get bigger listening room soon, but before I will enjoy listening them with Arcams.

Some say that Vantage is close to Summit. I somewhat disagree. Summits are little better in every perspective (especially the bass).

Jani Vertanen, also from Helsinki, Finland

Last edited:
janppa said:
Terve kaima,

And no more finnish is appropriate here I guess :)

Some say that Vantage is close to Summit. I somewhat disagree. Summits are little better in every perspective (especially the bass).

Jani Vertanen, also from Helsinki, Finland

Jani, I chuckle at your sentence above, you disagree that the Vantage is close to the Summitt ??? but say that the Summitt is a LITTLE better !!!!!

The mere fact that one even compares these two speakers and notices a subtle difference should tell you how great a BARGIN the Vantage's really are !!! That being said I certianlly wouldn't turn down a pair of Summitt's!!

Last edited:
twich54 said:
Jani, I chuckle at your sentence above, you disagree that the Vantage is close to the Summitt ??? but say that the Summitt is a LITTLE better !!!!!

The mere fact that one even compares these two speakers and notices a subtle difference should tell you how great a BARGIN the Vantage's really are !!! That being said I certianlly wouldn't turn down a pair of Summitt's!!

You are right in a way. Vantage is a very good loudspeaker with excellent price/quality ratio. But as mentioned before, Summit is a little better. There are no huge differencies in my opinion, but if one is looking for uncompromising sound quality and is ready to invest then Summit is the choice. I think that both Vantage and Summit owners can be more than happy with their stats :)

- Jani -

Price

What is the current price of Summits in Finland? And I mean the price you will actually need to pay.

I hope some of you Janis might be able to answer this.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back