Vantage vs Summit? Anyone heard the two?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Has anyone auditioned the two? If so, what were your opinions of the two relative to one another? Please go into details like the extension of the treble, midrange realism, transparency, bass reproduction, and vocal reproduction/sibilance.

TIA! ;)

I just recently purchased the Vantage speakers after listening to both extensively. I'm not one for "flowery" adjectives for describing how something performs. I'll put it this way.... the Summitts were "Totally" awesome, whereas the Vantage were "just" awesome. All kidding aside there is a noticeable extension in the bottom end of the Summitts but I for one feel the $5000 differential is better spent on "upstream" componetry. Now if you already have a great Pre-amp and power amp, CD player, TT, etc. then thats a different story. But if your thinking of driving them with some 5.1 receiver, well that would be an injustice.

Good luck, Happy Holidays !!!!!!!!!

I consider the sound from the Panels being equal as both had the ability to totally disappear within the music. The biggest difference between the two was the bass reproduction, with the Summit producing top notch bass, while the Vantage was not quite up to the same level as the Summit. Even after some adjustments with the Vantage controls I just did not find it as well define and authoritative - but remember the Vantage has one 8" and the Summit has two 10".

But like I have stated before, for the $5k you will save with the Vantage, you can purchase a ML Sub, or Sub of your choice, and easily augment the bass to your liking. If I had to decide today which to buy, it would probably be the Vantage and use the extra cash saved for other items in the system....music, components, cables, etc.

Dan

The Summits should have a better panel though - atleast sounding-wise... since it has a lower crossover @ around 200hz vs the 400hz of the Vantage, right?

So... twich, how awesome is "just awesome"? :D

Joey_V said:
The Summits should have a better panel though - atleast sounding-wise... since it has a lower crossover @ around 200hz vs the 400hz of the Vantage, right?

So... twich, how awesome is "just awesome"? :D

Dont know if "Better" would be the work for it, may be a smoother sound compared to the vantage.

Last edited:
At my age "awesome" is pretty damn good!!! I really felt the vantage compared and even bested speakers that cost 50-60% more. I've always been a Maggie, B&W, Theil and recently Totem fan but something about the Vantage...........

Dave,
I have not heard the Vantage but I have heard the Summit. I would give it a listen if you have not. From what I have heard the panels are the same it is the woofer size and the difference of 2 10 inch woofers versus one 8 inch.

Jeff

But the summits do have a larger planar surface right? Or am I being tricked by photographs?

The larger size must be the reason that it is allowed a lower xo.

OHhhh.. by the way, can the Vantage play loud?

Last edited:
Joey

Yes the Summit has a bigger panel, so you will have a bigger sound stage and sweet spot. The duel 10" woofers in each tower can pump out some serious bass.

Yes, the summit is a fantastic speaker that you will more than likely be happy with, and the little brother the vantage is also a grate speaker. The question is, Do you (Joey V) need the summit?

You really need you go listen to both speakers and decide that for yourself. The summit is the better speaker, but is it worth it for YOU to spend the extra $5000.00 for? I take it that is why you started this thread? Because you are trying to justify spending the extra five grand for the summit. In a small room the vantage may be more speaker then you will ever need, but you will never know till you audition a pair.

Joe,

I cant even come close to affording the Summits... so getting that is pretty much out of the question for many years to come. The Vantage are within striking range - havent raised enough funds yet, but soon soon.

The reason why I brought up the thread was to get a feel for what I'll be missing when I go Vantage - there really is no way, short of the lottery, that I can plunk down $10k.

In order for me to afford the Vantage - I have to eat home made sandwiches for a semester - no more going out to restaurants for lunch and dinner (daily). Besides, it'll be good for my health anyway.

Joey_V said:
Joe,

I cant even come close to affording the Summits... so getting that is pretty much out of the question for many years to come. The Vantage are within striking range - havent raised enough funds yet, but soon soon.

The reason why I brought up the thread was to get a feel for what I'll be missing when I go Vantage - there really is no way, short of the lottery, that I can plunk down $10k.

In order for me to afford the Vantage - I have to eat home made sandwiches for a semester - no more going out to restaurants for lunch and dinner (daily). Besides, it'll be good for my health anyway.

Joey

I went on the Top Roman diet during collage to afford my Logan’s, so I know exactly what you’re talking about doing. Sacrificing one thing for another.

What you can expect from the vantage compared to the summit.

The vantage does have a narrower panel, so your sweet spot will not be as wide as that of the summit but still very livable. The biggest difference will be the bass, when I auditioned the summits I was amazed just how close the summits bass came to the descent subwoofer. I would think the Vantage’s bass would be comparable to the grotto subwoofer. The vantage should give you about 80% of the summits performance for half the price.

So, suppose if i were to purchase a Vantage + a depths i might be able to equal the Summits aside from a narrower sweet spot. No, wait. The Summits have a subwoofer system in each column, so i'd need 2 Depths.

A Vantage + 2 Depths is still cheeper then a Summit. Actually a Vantage + 2 Decents is still cheeper then a Summit. Hmm. What would be the main trade off there? Blending? Well if the subwoofers in the Summtis *are* Depths then would there be a trade off?

Joe,

I understand what you mean by bass deficiency compared to the Summits... and I see what you mean by "having the Vantage run with a sub" should make up for what it lacks relative to the Summits. I have an SVS PC+ subwoofer at the moment, but I dont think I can keep it if I want to afford the Vantage - I will have to sell it.

So, I will be left with the Vantage and my Rotels... everything else (including the $1000 headphone setup with amp) will be sold.

But.. what a nice computer speaker system it will be!

I think after I purchase the Vantage, I will start building around it more... like a better DAC, a better source, and perhaps a better amp... someday.

Joey_V said:
Joe,

I understand what you mean by bass deficiency compared to the Summits... and I see what you mean by "having the Vantage run with a sub" should make up for what it lacks relative to the Summits. I have an SVS PC+ subwoofer at the moment, but I dont think I can keep it if I want to afford the Vantage - I will have to sell it.

So, I will be left with the Vantage and my Rotels... everything else (including the $1000 headphone setup with amp) will be sold.

But.. what a nice computer speaker system it will be!

I think after I purchase the Vantage, I will start building around it more... like a better DAC, a better source, and perhaps a better amp... someday.
Joe, I agree I'm using my Rotel RB-1090 to drive mine and someday I would like to upgrade that to a Classe' or one of the Nelson Pass designed units. Unless your room is larger than mine(17' x 28') the Vantage will be more than enough to put a smile on your face !

Now go out and audition !!!!

Back