Vantage vs Ascent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pohopien

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed, and there's no easy answer, but I'm in the market for used ML's and have narrowed the search down to the Ascent or Vantage.

I have a good sized room (15 x 25) and feel either would do just fine. The dilemma is how the prices have come down. Used Ascents can be had for just over $1,500 and Vantages just north of $2,500.

Is the roughly double the price worth it? Let's assume panel condition is roughly the same.....just to rule that out. I'm really interested to know if ML has made that much of an improvement in their stuff?

Shoot, even Odyssey's are going for $2k. The options are almost too many!

thanks

I went with the Vantages due to the internal amplification. I had originally thought of Vistas until I realized they were without an amp.
Very happy with a newer model speaker.

Lee

Both are great speakers. Here's how I see the Ascents:

Cons:
older panel technology.
no internal amp, thus will be more difficult to drive
Bigger
Woofer/panel integration is not as good as the Vantage

Pros:
less expensive

I say go for as much as you can afford. Odysseys are AWESOME, but require a big room as they are HUGE.

ML's panels have changed alot from the two models. Microperf, clearspar, xstat technology means same sound from smaller panel.

Depends on your priorities.

Option 1) The Ascent - IMO it needs a sub to work well, at least in my room. Despite panel improvements, air frames etc a Vantage will NOT give you the scale of an Ascent. So rule this option out unless you can afford a good sub.

Option 2) The Vantage - the ones I demo'd were sub-standard so it makes it a bit difficult fo rme to be accurate. Smaller speaker, less scale, but this is an advantage if you have a smaller room. Probably more detail than an Ascent if the Summit dem I had is anything to go by when they are working properly!

Option 3) The Odyssey. Same as an Ascent but with better bass. I go for this, because it won't need a sub. I think the Odyssey would wipe the floor clear with a Vantage as long as the Odyssey's panel's were in top condition.

Factor in your room size and make a choice (15x25 = Odyssey!). Obviously the Vantage is the newer speaker and will last the longest before new panels are required. You will also need more power for the older options.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been discussed, and there's no easy answer, but I'm in the market for used ML's and have narrowed the search down to the Ascent or Vantage.

I have a good sized room (15 x 25) and feel either would do just fine. The dilemma is how the prices have come down. Used Ascents can be had for just over $1,500 and Vantages just north of $2,500.

Is the roughly double the price worth it? Let's assume panel condition is roughly the same.....just to rule that out. I'm really interested to know if ML has made that much of an improvement in their stuff?

Shoot, even Odyssey's are going for $2k. The options are almost too many!

thanks

I recently went from Ascent to Vantage. There is a huge difference. In addition to the above comments, the Ascent is much bigger, but you have a larger room. The panel is quicker and more transparent. The bass is also much better - deeper and faster, making a more coherent speaker.

That said, I would go with the Ascent if your room is not well treated. I just sold my Ascents. They were unused for 8 months since I bought the Vantage. Just before the sale, I hooked them up to my system in my room with good bass absorption, and it was WOW!!!

Sure the Vantage is better, but I never got close to hearing the Ascent in a good room until the day of the sale. (If you have not experienced what I am talking about, it is probably hard to believe.)

So, if you are truly looking for quality sound and you have only $2500 or so to spend, I would get the Ascents + however many room treatments you can afford.

If your room is stellar, go for the Vantage.

I just recently bi-amped my Ascent's with the two unused channels on my MC207. This made a huge difference in base response. While I'm not going to shut down my Descent I nolonger think that it is necessary for 2 channel listening.

After biamping my Ascents I have completely shut off the subwoofer. Ascent is not a bass shy loudspeaker at all!

If you can get them *that* cheap and afford them the finest electronics to really start singing you will be greatly rewarded (assumed that they are in good condition). There are of course better ML models but Ascent can take you very, very far IMHO. A fine tube preamp with the tube (panels) and SS (woofers) biamping will do wonders.

Ascent

After biamping my Ascents I have completely shut off the subwoofer. Ascent is not a bass shy loudspeaker at all!

If you can get them *that* cheap and afford them the finest electronics to really start singing you will be greatly rewarded (assumed that they are in good condition). There are of course better ML models but Ascent can take you very, very far IMHO. A fine tube preamp with the tube (panels) and SS (woofers) biamping will do wonders.

I can't wait to bi-amp my Ascents. I have heard such rave reviews. I can tell you that the Ascents are not bass shy. I have 150 watts per side Threshold.
Save the $$ go for the Ascents.

Doug - out

Ascent/Descent - anyone geddit? They were made for each other... pull the Descent away, naff bass... at least in my room.

Whilst I generally keep the sub down low (40Hz, 3 on the vol), bass shy tracks NEED bass injection. No sensible high end amp can make up for recordings devoid of bass, unless you mess with preamp tone controls/room correction etc...

Additionally, the Ascent rolls off at low frequencies it hasn't a chance of reproducing as well as a Descent.

Don't listen to 'em - get the Odyssey! Better still don't listen to me! Try to hear all options - hard when buying 2nd hand unless it's from a dealer I know.

Last edited:
Paul ,

You certainly could use Odyssey's in your room. I have mine in a dedicated 12x20 room with proper acoustic treatments and they sound great!! Your larger room would be awesome.

It really gets down to the amp you are running. The older logans will require more power than the new models. I haven't heard the new models yet , but it has been mentioned by members on this site that some prefer the sound of the older models to the new ones. I am running a Simaudio MOON W-5 amp. What is your amp??wattage? I also have a depth sub hooked up.

I've had both the Ascents and Odysseys in my room and I've heard the Vantages (although NOT in a nice controlled environment..try tweeter).
Odysseys are by far the winner in a big room and I am very pleased with mine. The Ascents also sounded great in my room, which is treated, but needed a sub to sound their best with music:music:. If you can snatch up a used pair of Odysseys, I really think you'll be happy you did it. Bi amp them and you'll be rewarded with fantastic sound that needs no sub to assist. I placed mine on 2 1/2" Solid Hard Maple platforms and that made them sing even better.

Paul,

Your Bryston 7B mono's will do a great job. Getting off topic, have you considered a Torus conditioner which Bryston distributes through their dealers? A friend of mine is running one with his Bryston gear with great success. He sold his Shunyata hydra 8 and hydra 2's after auditioning the Torrus conditioner in his system.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back