Vantage Trim - help Joey out!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Ok guys, all the audio stuff has been sold, the money is here, the Vantage deal with the dealer has been worked out, and things are pretty much a GO! Now, which trim would look best in my room?

There is no Vantage trim browser, so I'm just going to use the Summit trim pictures to try and illustrate the trims for the Vantage.

Here they are:

Black/Black $4995
SU_BABA_1.jpg

Dark Cherry/Black $4995
SU_DCBA_1.jpg

Natural Cherry/Black $5295
SU_NCBA_1.jpg

Maple/Black $5295
SU_MABA_1.jpg

I figure that these speakers will remain with me for quite a while and I can grow into these as time passes... I want something that looks nice and can complement future decor as I move along to another place during residency and maybe a house when I'm done.

So... if you guys could please help out by posting which one you prefer, I'll tally it up. I was going to post this in the Poll Forum, but I figured this forum gets more traffic.

Vote vote!

My Room (it's alot cleaner now and all speakers have been sold):
47b5ce31b3127cce94d6fe677f6200000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

The Black-Cherry option was at the store where I heard the Vantage and I liked the look. But the Summit was in Black-Maple and that also looked good. Just pick the best looking option for yourself. Once you start to listen to the music, the color will not matter :D

Dan

That picture of your room isn't good enough for me. Need to see more of it. All I see is white walls which probably goes good with any trim.

So far... I have votes for all colors?

This is gonna be hard....

My room is pretty contemporary, with Ikea tables and chairs. I guess I'm just trying to see if it's worth it to pay the extra $300 for the latter two trim options. I dont really like the black/black trim - looks too demure.

Which trim do YOU guys prefer?

Last edited:
I've always liked dark/rich colors. I like finishes that really show off the grain of the wood. As Dan said, the color really won't matter when you're smiling ear to ear from the wall of sound :) . I'd choose the dark cherry first, natural cherry second, and maple third. Happy Listening!

I think that the dark cherry looks very classy and that would undoubtedly be my first choice. I have the dark cherry and the maple trim rails for my ascent i's and every one of my friends told me to go with the dark cherry after seeing each. What do you think looks best and will look best for years to come? :cool:

So the consensus is that dark cherry looks classy? This is what I thought when I visited my local Tweeter dealer and they had the dark cherry Vantage on display.

It looked reeeeeal nice. I havent seen the others on the vantage yet, but I have seen the black on the Summits and it didnt look like it belonged to a $10,000 speaker IMHO.

So.. the dark cherry is at regular price, yet preferred by most. Hmm.... why bother with the more expensive trims then?

It looks like your using halogen lamps in your room, so your room as a yellow tint to it. I think I would go with it and pick Maple with the black trim.

Joey,
From the pictures I like the dark cherry but I also know that in person they do look different. For me, it does not matter as much. In my world, I like oak. So the cherry is a good alternative. Dark or light is not really an issue. Maple is also very nice. As with any wood and finishes they all will vary a bit. I would definitately go with the black trim. For one reason, it is easy to match with other pieces and for me it makes the panel somewhat transparent to the surroundings and not stand out as a focal point of interest. I would want the speakers to disappear when listening. To me they are sticking enough and do not need more attention drawn to them.

It is similar to flat panels TV's some have a "silver" style trim and others have black. The black seems to draw the eye in towards the product and that is what I feel it does for the ML's.

Just an old farts opinion.

Jeff :cool:

I definitely like the black trim more than the clear aluminum trim after seeing it in person.

I'm thinking, what about the black oak? I know I said earlier that it looks no good, but I'm thinking that black is universal and is easier to match with all and any component.

GAH!! So much to think about!

The dark cherry definitely looks nice - and so does the maple and the natural cherry.. however, I dont want to pay extra for the latter two. So, I guess this takes out the maple and the natural cherry, and leaves me with black and dark cherry.

Now, I know that there are two ways to look at a speaker -

As a speaker.

or

As part of your surroundings.

As a speaker, there is no doubt that the dark cherry looks better along with the black trim. However, as part of one's surroundings, perhaps the black oak with black trim is easiest to match to the rest of one's decor?

Ayiyiyi....

black on black it will match any thing and is timeless like a black suit

This decision is hard.... black/black or dark cherry/black.... hmmm.

On one hand, the black/black will match my decor (and any decor) better than the dark cherry will... but at the cost of making the speaker look like any regular speaker (although the stat panel is a give away that this isnt any regular speaker).

Times like this, I wish someone else were in my shoes..... decisions are difficult to come by!

Black/black will match surroundings now and forever... but dark cherry/black if done tastefully will be far nicer in complementing a nicely decorated/designed room than just black/black.

This is the consensus I'm getting from this thread.

My Summits came in last night and of course were setup right away. I always liked the Dark Cherry with Black since my first pair of MLs. However, I never upgraded to that because the cost for the trim was way too high for the wood. I was glad to find that the Dark Cherry with Black Trim is a base model with the base price so that's what I got. The DC is a rich and beautiful wood and blends well with the black. It looks great and is close to a perfect match to the teak wood stuff I have around the house which is what I was going for.

I bought the Summits without ever seeing a pair let alone hearing a pair but I was very pleased with the appearance of the trim and overall look of the speaker once I pulled them out their boxes. I didn't like the look when I first saw the photos on the web but they look very good and classy in real-live 3D. I'll post some photos this weekend so you can see some detail.

Based on what I could see in your picture it looks like you don't have anything that requires a color match so get the speaker trim you like best. I.E. Maple doesn't work in my room at all. In fact, I recently bought a used set of Maple Aeon trim pieces, sanded off the clear-coat, restained it with walnut colored stain, clear-coated it and now it looks much better with the walnut credenza they sit next to.

Last edited:
black/black is my vote. classy. i don't like non-matching woods in the same room.

Steve Daigneault said:
black/black is my vote. classy. i don't like non-matching woods in the same room.

Did you get black/black for your Vantages? If so, can you send me a pic? Thanks Steve! ;)

Back