Vantage question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
Since the woofer is powered by an amplifier why does it have two binding posts. There is only one panel and one woofer. If you were bi-amping where are the exta watts going too?

longhorn said:
Since the woofer is powered by an amplifier why does it have two binding posts. There is only one panel and one woofer. If you were bi-amping where are the exta watts going too?
The binding posts are there to give a single to the woofers. No current from the amp is needed.

The way it’s explained to me is speaker cables, interconnects and amplifiers can have there own sonic signature. If you were to use a 12 gauge speaker cable from your amp to the panel and an interconnect from your pre-amp (typically 20 gauge cable) to the woofers amp, the sound of the panel and bass driver may not match up. An amplifier can have it’s own sonic signature and/or coloration the preamp does not have. Using the same speaker cable from the amp to both the panel and powered woofers insures they have the same overall sound characteristics for better integration.

Zip3kx07 said:
The binding posts are there to give a single to the woofers. No current from the amp is needed.

The way it’s explained to me is speaker cables, interconnects and amplifiers can have there own sonic signature. If you were to use a 12 gauge speaker cable from your amp to the panel and an interconnect from your pre-amp (typically 20 gauge cable) to the woofers amp, the sound of the panel and bass driver may not match up. An amplifier can have it’s own sonic signature and/or coloration the preamp does not have. Using the same speaker cable from the amp to both the panel and powered woofers insures they have the same overall sound characteristics for better integration.

Hi,
Another reason is to make sure the panel and woofer are matched in volume. If you use a low level signal for the woofer, and a speaker level signal for the panel, you can end up with differences between the two, depending on the gain of the external amplifier used for the panel.

A higher gain external amp will give a higher signal to the panel for any given level to the woofer. To keep them matched in volume, they use the same signal to both, even though the woofer has its own amp. They use the speaker level signal and drop it down in level internally to the woofer amp input, so that the output of the woofer matches the panel in volume.

Peter

I emailed ML to ask the same question when I ordered my Summits. Their answer was: "The speakers do not need biwiring. The biwire posts are there to accomodate people who already have biwire speaker cables." I was using Transparent MusicWave biwire Plus when I got the speakers. I'm currently using a single run of AQ Mont Blanc. The speakers sound better with the AQ.

Back