Vantage panel problems?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkawall

Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed a sharp popping and ticking on the top-right panel of my brand-new Vantages when playing piano music even at modest volumes -- has anyone else experienced this? The speakers were bought new and have played about 20-25 hours so far. Is this part of the break-in?

thanks and best,

k

kirkawall said:
Hi,

I've noticed a sharp popping and ticking on the top-right panel of my brand-new Vantages when playing piano music even at modest volumes -- has anyone else experienced this? The speakers were bought new and have played about 20-25 hours so far. Is this part of the break-in?

thanks and best,

k
Hola K. and welcome to the club. All electrostatic speakers are culprit to produce odd sounds once and then. The sound normally is produced by a dust debris at that part. The electroctastic speaker produce a magnetic field that attracts this unwanted debris. To stop that odd sound you can vacuum it right at the portion where the odd sound is produced. Hope this can help...happy listening
pura vida,
roberto.

roberto said:
Hola K. and welcome to the club. All electrostatic speakers are culprit to produce odd sounds once and then. The sound normally is produced by a dust debris at that part. The electroctastic speaker produce a magnetic field that attracts this unwanted debris. To stop that odd sound you can vacuum it right at the portion where the odd sound is produced. Hope this can help...happy listening
pura vida,
roberto.

Roberto,

Thanks very much for the tip -- I'll consult the manual and then try to vacuum the speakers at the top right of the panel. I'd thought for some reason that new speakers should not be given the vacuum treatment but if it's safe I'll give it a go.

thanks and best,

k

roberto said:
pura vida,
roberto.
HOLA ROBERTO, HOLA.....HOLA......HOLA

kirkawall said:
I'd thought for some reason that new speakers should not be given the vacuum treatment but if it's safe I'll give it a go.
Hi kirkawall....do you operate your speakers in a humid environment? I do, within the first 50 hours after buying my Vantages new I had to vacuum the left front bottom panel due to a hissing sound that continued even when music wasn't playing. These are dust magnets so I keep them covered when not in use. I also use a good dehumidifier in my HT that runs 24/7.

Genesis said:
Hi kirkawall....do you operate your speakers in a humid environment? I do, within the first 50 hours after buying my Vantages new I had to vacuum the left front bottom panel due to a hissing sound that continued even when music wasn't playing. These are dust magnets so I keep them covered when not in use. I also use a good dehumidifier in my HT that runs 24/7.

Hi Genesis, at what % of humidity do you set your dehumidifier.

Genesis said:

Genesis,

Thanks for the tip -- it has been very humid out here. Oddly, this popping happens only at one very narrow frequency band and only in one speaker -- completely disappears when I switch the ICs. I'm planning on hooking up a dehumidifier but may have to investigate this right speaker tic a bit more. It seems likely that it's either a panel or an electronics problem.

best,

k

I had what sounds like the same thing happening to a brand new (ML sealed) pair of Vantage's. It happened mainly with solo piano, at a certain frequecy, in one speaker only and the loder the volume, the louder the sound - very annoying!

I returned them striaght away as faulty

musicman said:
Hi Genesis, at what % of humidity do you set your dehumidifier.
I run it at 3/4 of maximum which maintains the relative humidity in my room around 55%. Anything lower than 65% is probably sufficient. When I use my HT, I turn off the dehumidifier and run the A/C, not only for cooler air but also because the A/C is a lot quieter ;)

kirkawall said:
Genesis,

Thanks for the tip -- it has been very humid out here. Oddly, this popping happens only at one very narrow frequency band and only in one speaker -- completely disappears when I switch the ICs. I'm planning on hooking up a dehumidifier but may have to investigate this right speaker tic a bit more. It seems likely that it's either a panel or an electronics problem.

best,

k
The high pitched hissing noise I experienced was exactly the same as outlined in the FAQ in the Vantage manual. A good vacuuming fixed it right up. In your case, if vacuuming doesn't work, you will probably need to return them. In any event, if your Vantages are constantly exposed to high relative humidity, using a dehumidifier is definitely a wise decision. All the best!

Back