Vantage owner....what's next?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genesis

Reaction score
Love my Vantage, Depth, Cinemai i and Mosaic. Need to upgrade from a Denon 3806 and 3910 into a decent two channel SS pre/amp or integrated amp solution for HT and CD. Open for suggestions :) Room is 17 x 12 feet, high V ceilings, treated for side reflections (DIY method), totally dark room with Stewart Firehawk and Panny HD projector.

Integrated amp options:
1. Bryston BP100 SST with DAC (my current favourite, warm and expansive)
2. Plinius 9200 (beautiful, the freakin Kiwis rule)
3. Krell 400xi (what a killer...but a bit sterile?)

Sorry, don't want any tube/valve solutions...but all suggestions welcome, thx!

Last edited:
I will sell you my Krell 400xi Black if you are interested, I am moving to full home theater only soon

LOGANLOVE said:
I will sell you my Krell 400xi Black if you are interested, I am moving to full home theater only soon
What does moving into full home theater only soon mean?
Edit...sorry Loganlove :eek: , my intention was to ask why are you selling the 400xi since you can use the preamp bypass and power the left/right mains in your HT? Thanks for your offer, but I live in Singapore :)

Last edited:
I know the feeling...

I'm in a pretty similar situation with the exception that I've just got my vantages and am starting from scratch instead of just changing up things. One great option that I've had the chance to audition is the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated, and also the matching A5 CD player. They are a great combo for the vantages. I'm also considering the Plinius, and the PS Audio GCC-100. What I like about the PS is that it essentially is an amp, so it integrates very well into a HT setup (which I'm looking to do).

You definitely posted on the right site and I've have a few questions in the last few weeks and there are plenty of knowledgable people on here to help you sort things out. Good luck!!!

cmchism said:
I'm in a pretty similar situation with the exception that I've just got my vantages and am starting from scratch instead of just changing up things. One great option that I've had the chance to audition is the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated, and also the matching A5 CD player. They are a great combo for the vantages. I'm also considering the Plinius, and the PS Audio GCC-100. What I like about the PS is that it essentially is an amp, so it integrates very well into a HT setup (which I'm looking to do).

You definitely posted on the right site and I've have a few questions in the last few weeks and there are plenty of knowledgable people on here to help you sort things out. Good luck!!!
Thanks cmchism....encouraging bro and thanks for your reply. Don't really know why, but I'm not a Musical Fidelity champion...I've listened to the A5 stuff but compared to Bryston it kinda falls short. The Bryston takes the soundstage to a new level. The demo I heard included optical out to the integrated DAC of the Bryston BP100...man it was smooth with B&W's.

I use MF gear, and have tried the A5 CDP. In my system 'as was' (same as below, but with Nautilus 802's) the A5 sounded hard as nails. Very fast on the stop and starts, but not much meat in the notes if you know what i mean

Whether this was because of the B&W combo i don't know, but just as i was about to give up on MF a friend loanded me his modified Nu-Vista 3D CDP. This was a revelation indeed - warmth, huge expansive soundstage front to rear especially, mainly i think to do with the valve stage. Very musical

I bought a 3D and so heard it as standard, before a clock upgrade and power supplies etc (800 GBP), and am now very happy with it

i suppose i'm kinda defending MF but at the same time it's a love and hate thing. Anyway, my 1 day old Vantage's sound OK with my MF so far!!

hope this helps

cheers

nigel

As a Vantage owner and a Plinius owner..............well, that pretty much covers that !!

twich54 said:
As a Vantage owner and a Plinius owner..............well, that pretty much covers that !!
I'm sure...I'm checking out the Plinius kit this weekend....and how I'm looking forward to it...that kit rocks.

Genesis said:
What does moving into full home theater only soon mean?
Edit...sorry Loganlove :eek: , my intention was to ask why are you selling the 400xi since you can use the preamp bypass and power the left/right mains in your HT? Thanks for your offer, but I live in Singapore :)

Because I am going with Krell hometheater, so I don't need the 400xi anymore

cmchism said:

I have the Vantages with the PS Audio GCA-100 and a Sim Audio Moon P-3 pre-amp and I love it. The sound is lush and full and there is not a harsh or stressfull note to be heard, with the right recordings of course. PS Audio and Martin Logan are just made for each other.

moondoggie said:
I have the Vantages with the PS Audio GCA-100 and a Sim Audio Moon P-3 pre-amp and I love it. The sound is lush and full and there is not a harsh or stressfull note to be heard, with the right recordings of course. PS Audio and Martin Logan are just made for each other.
Thanks moondoggie...I did a bit of research online wrt the PS Audio GCC-100 integrated (as cmchism suggested) and was very impressed with the results of the reviews. I've arranged for a demo in a local shop tomorrow...so it will be a Plinius vs. PS Audio Saturday...I wonder if these two will pull me off my fascination with the Bryston B100? :)

Second-hand Chord integrated. Amazing sound with Logans... Not very well-known, except by Abbey Road, Air Studio's and George Lucas... ;)

Highly Recommended....

My GCC-100 just arrived today, and it is spectacular. It seems like it will be a great combo. I look forward to some critical listening next week once everything is broken in, but until then I'll be content to just sit back and smile. Still looking to upgrade to a new CD/DVD player so any suggestions from anyone??? Moondoggie, what are you using???

Arcam has announced a new universal player (their first) that should be a killer :) .

Latest posts

Back