Vantage in large room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I have recieved some good advice about the ML Vantages and want to ask about my particular room. It is about 14 feet wide, 21 feet deep with vaulted ceilings, the ceiling is 2 stories high over my current speakers (RF-7)and slants down to one story behind the listening position. My floors are wood and the left side is open to the kitchen area. I can't afford Summits so my question is will Vantages work well in a room with that high of ceilings and an open area to the kitchen? My plan would be to sell my Klipsch set up except for the in ceiling/wall surrounds and purchase the Vantage for L/R, run a phantom center and add a Depth for movies. Thoughts anyone? Would Summits with out the sub work better?

I would say, "Yes". I have a friend with Vaulted ceilings in a room w/ a similiar layout to yours and it sounds wonderful. These dipole speakers have a fantastic ability to reflect sound in rooms like these.

What you can't see in my Member system picture is that I have a clipped corner on the left side of my chair which leads into an open kitchen. I had to make a 2" adjustment on that particular speaker for the sound to be even. It really didn't take much playing around with to get it right, but it made a big difference.

Honestly, drink a bottle of wine when everyone is gone and tinker with it. You'll get it right.

Good luck :cool:

Thanks, I am considering the A5 integrated as well, how do you like it? How abou the A5 CD? I have heard the Vantages on the Krell integrated and would like a slightly warmer sound. How would you describe the A5?

macallan said:
Thanks, I am considering the A5 integrated as well, how do you like it? How abou the A5 CD? I have heard the Vantages on the Krell integrated and would like a slightly warmer sound. How would you describe the A5?

All the reviews out there for the A5 cdp are right on the money. I was in a toss up on this and the Classe CDP-102 (or was it theCDP-202?) and went with the A5 because I thought it offered the same sound and a better value for my money.

It's definitely worth auditioning.

macallan said:

Hi,

The MF stuff is indeed excellent. If you're after a warmer sound you might also listen to the NAD m55 and McIntosh MCD201 players -- these are also terrific and might, like the A5s, offer a sound signature more to your liking. As in the last thread, reviews and advice will always be helpful but since you're the one who will live with the stuff it helps to audition very carefully with your own equipment and ideally in your own space. This is often possible with a good dealer and can be even easier if you're buying your system a bit at a time. Anyway, enjoy the search...

best,

k

Did you see this link posted by Member- SteveInNC ?

"I prefer angled walls and an angled ceiling because that provides deflection which reduces flutter echoes and ringing. Some people argue that parallel walls are preferred because you can better predict the room modes, and then treat the inevitable flutter echoes with absorption. But as I explained earlier, simply knowing the modes is not always that valuable, and with angled walls you can make the average dimensions comply with the ideal ratios. Further, if a room has parallel walls that must be treated with absorptive material to avoid echoes and ringing, you may not be able to make the room as live as you'd like."

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#hard floor

Back