Vantage impression after roughly one month

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola Roberto,

Well spoken - or written! I completely agree with you that what really matters is to get the sound that on likes the most. But as with wine, it pays off in the long run to try to identify what design (terroir, grape, vintage, production method, bass loading...) that tickles one's fancy. And regarding bass notes, most of us have the problem that the dimensions of our room are smaller than the wavelength of the deepest notes. For me, this means that I value control and egality more than ultimate energy. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I mainly listen to acoustic music. I really like to be able to hear the tone of the bass player; it connects me emotionally with the music. Actually, one of my favorite things about the Vantages (and I am sure this is true for most stats) is their ability to play low. When I turn down the volume, nothing dispears. Everything is still there, all the details, the leading and tailing edges of the notes. It's just lower. With dynamic speakers, my experience is that most of them needs a certain volume to "come alive". And those which don't, very often fall apart at higher volume levels.

Following Jon Fo's advice separating the low bass from the mains has helped to reduce the modes (16x8x14) at lower frequencies . I have tried to carefully place my sub(s) to decrease the mode effects while placing my electrostats to enhance imaging and timbre. This worked with my Vantages and now with my new Montis.

We do calibrate our ears frequently at the Kennedy center here in DC and also Blues Alley for Jazz.

Room modes can have harmful effects on low bass. Room treatments and proper placement is quite useful. In our case the two subs have helped a lot after very careful placement and phasing .

After all is done the ML sound is truly exquisite .

J
Calibrating one's ears with acoustic music is sometimes very revealing. I often go to the opera or to a small Jazz-club in Copenhagen. I remember a high-end show a few years ago where I had a feeling that most of the systems (ML was not there) sounded unbearable bright and aggressive despite costing several times more than the system I had. I started thinking that maybe it was me. Maybe I had gotten used to a "soft" sound. After the show, I went to the Jazz club, and lo and behold - The acoustic sound of the band was closer to what I had at home than it was to the super-expensive high-end systems at the show. A very revealing ear-calibrating experience, and a confirmation that some audio dealers has no clue how to set a natural sounding system.

BTW, it sounds like a very nice way you have set things up there, J. And the possibility of physically separating the subs from the main speaker gives some unique options for room-mode control. One day I may go down the same route, but for now, I'm quite pleased with the Vantages as is. But putting together a true full-range system in the way you have makes many full range dynamic systems look rather daft and overpriced in my humble opinion.:p

Enjoy those Vantages. A good clean environment and frequent vacuuming and you will be happy for a long time as you rediscover you CDs and acquire new ones.

Joel

I suspect you are right, Joel. - Apart from the fact that i rarely buy or listen to CD. I'm a vinylhead ;-)

Jesper, sorry to hijack your thread, but do you have a copy of Beethoven's "Choral Fantasia"?

Jesper, sorry to hijack your thread, but do you have a copy of Beethoven's "Choral Fantasia"?
No, Bernard, unfortunately not. I don't even have the Mass in C that featured on the same concert at the premiere. I have Missa Solemnis in both Karajan's and Bernstein's recordings, and like both with a preference towards the latter.

If you can recommend good recordings of the Chral Fantasia and/or the Mass in C, I would be happy to hear!

Hola Roberto,

That looks like an interresting disc. I will keep my eye out for the vinyl version. Might take some years, but I'm patient when it comes to these things!

Re. the piano concertos, I agree with you that the Barenboim set is good. I don't have it though, as I already have Kempf's which is my favorite, and Azkanazy's which I like for the fireworks, and especially for the 4th. I must admid that I have a soft spot for Kemps as a Beethoven (and Shubert!) pianist, despite the lackluster DG sound.

Jesper, the Choral Fantasia I have is the Barenboim/Klemperer/New Philharmonia. I don't think I've heard any other, though I've heard that the Karl Böhm version is good.

I have the Mass in C by Herbert Kegel/Gewandhaus.

I agree on Kempff as a Beethoven pianist. Also like his Schubert Impromptus, but hearing Murray Perahia live playing the Impromptus was uplifting. Speaking of Perahia, I went to a concert where he played Bach; he's considered a great Bach pianist, however I find Bach mathematically correct but boring. But, for an encore he played Schubert's "Ständchen" (the famous serenade); it was worth the price of the ticket to just hear that. In his interpretation he echoed the phrases. I have the CD. I know you're a vinyl head, but you should buy a CD player just for that.

Do you have the Schubert "Notturno" (D897)?

Bernard, I actually do have a CD player - I'm not fanatic ;-) Maybe I should buy that Perahia CD...

No, i don't have "Nottorno".

Latest posts

Back