Vantage compared to Summit?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

denf

Hey guys. I am fairly new to this forum, but am an "experiened" M.Logan-er with the pleasure of having Sequels, Aerius i's, ReQuests, Odysseys, and most recently Prodigys grace my listening room.

I haven't heard the new Summits, but have voraciously read everything and anything on them printed to date. Then I came across the Vantage @ the Logan site - hmmmm? Looks almost identical, at least in the panel, just VERY sllightly smaller (1.5" h, 1.3" w less than Summit). So, NOT having recently won the lottery, the question of course arrises, is the Summit really worth going the extra 50% cost over the Vantage?

I see the obvious differences in the bass module, but I already have a decent powered subwoofer, so the area of bass, for me, is not that critical. The only other major diff. I see is where the x-over comes in for both - 270Hz for the Summit & 400Hz for the Vantage. Seems like the Summit then might? be better (maybe?) in the lower mids with the panel covering more of the music spectrum.

Whatever the case, I continued to be blown away by ML's tireless quest for new and better designs, and am equally impressed (at least on paper!) by the new Summit & Vantage. Looks to me though like they might have a real "killer" on their hands with the Vantage, with the price-performance-ratio factor being quite high on this one.

Anyway, (sorry to ramble) guess the only clear answer here would be from someone that has heard both side by side, or at least in the same room, with same conditions, ancillaries, etc. -- help! anyone??

denf said:
Hey guys. I am fairly new to this forum, but am an "experiened" M.Logan-er with the pleasure of having Sequels, Aerius i's, ReQuests, Odysseys, and most recently Prodigys grace my listening room.

I haven't heard the new Summits, but have voraciously read everything and anything on them printed to date. Then I came across the Vantage @ the Logan site - hmmmm? Looks almost identical, at least in the panel, just VERY sllightly smaller (1.5" h, 1.3" w less than Summit). So, NOT having recently won the lottery, the question of course arrises, is the Summit really worth going the extra 50% cost over the Vantage?

I see the obvious differences in the bass module, but I already have a decent powered subwoofer, so the area of bass, for me, is not that critical. The only other major diff. I see is where the x-over comes in for both - 270Hz for the Summit & 400Hz for the Vantage. Seems like the Summit then might? be better (maybe?) in the lower mids with the panel covering more of the music spectrum.

Whatever the case, I continued to be blown away by ML's tireless quest for new and better designs, and am equally impressed (at least on paper!) by the new Summit & Vantage. Looks to me though like they might have a real "killer" on their hands with the Vantage, with the price-performance-ratio factor being quite high on this one.

Anyway, (sorry to ramble) guess the only clear answer here would be from someone that has heard both side by side, or at least in the same room, with same conditions, ancillaries, etc. -- help! anyone??

Generally, the purpose of a sub is not for bass, with the exception of satelite sub combos. Subs are really designed for sub-bass (i.e., where you speakers bass rolls off). Sub are used to extend how low you speakers will go, not for suppliment the existing frequency range.

True statement about the subs but he has a good question. How do the Vantage and Summit compare? I'd expect excellent performance from the Vantage but then is the Summit really worth an extra 50% cost?

Unfortunately, my local ML dealer hasn't had either in the store yet, so I haven't even had the opportunity to see a pair live let alone hear one.

Summit Vs. Vantage

The Summit and Vantage are very similar. The main 'visual' differences
are:

-Vantage is a couple of inches shorter

-Vantage has a smaller ESL panel

-Vantage only has one 8" front firing woofer (Summit has two 10"
woofers, one front- and one down-firing

-Vantage's cabinet is narrower, taller and shallower

-Vantage does not have a metal accent on top of the cabinet

-Vantage does not have a blue LED stripe or illuminated ML logo on top
of the cabinet

-Vantage has smaller/different spikes

-Vantage has a blue LED on the front of the speaker

-Vantage has a foil stamped silver ML zig on the middle AirFrame cross
beam

-Vantage has less knobs on the backplate

Hope this also helps.

SugarMedia said:
The Summit and Vantage are very similar. The main 'visual' differences
are:

-Vantage is a couple of inches shorter

-Vantage has a smaller ESL panel

-Vantage only has one 8" front firing woofer (Summit has two 10"
woofers, one front- and one down-firing

-Vantage's cabinet is narrower, taller and shallower

-Vantage does not have a metal accent on top of the cabinet

-Vantage does not have a blue LED stripe or illuminated ML logo on top
of the cabinet

-Vantage has smaller/different spikes

-Vantage has a blue LED on the front of the speaker

-Vantage has a foil stamped silver ML zig on the middle AirFrame cross
beam

-Vantage has less knobs on the backplate

Hope this also helps.

Hola SugarMedia...thanks for all the info...now I do understand why the Summits costs that much!
Cheers,
Roberto.

Twice as expensive is 100% more, not 50% more. . .

hate to be pedantic but the Vantage retails for ~$5000 while the Summit is ~$10,000, a 100% increase in price! Regardless, the law of diminishing returns is most likely strongly at play here.

risabet said:
hate to be pedantic but the Vantage retails for ~$5000 while the Summit is ~$10,000, a 100% increase in price! Regardless, the law of diminishing returns is most likely strongly at play here.

Just as a data point: when I was auditioning my Ascent I, I also had the opportunity to audition Summits at the same store. The Ascents were powered by higher-end Musical Fidelity gear, and the Summits were powered by outrageous :) Classe gear, probably about a US$10k difference in electronics. The rooms were acoustically similar in terms of quality (this is a high-end dealer that built their own building). The Summits did sound like they might be worth twice the Ascent's cost, albeit out of my particular range. I have yet to hear a Vantage, so I don't know where it would land between Ascent and Summit. I suspect that it is closer to the Ascent though, given its price point and that it replaced the Ascent.

How disappointing. . .

if the Summit is in fact twice as good that just means I'll have to spend more money in the near future.

Back