Vantage break-in

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkawall

Reaction score
Hi,

After listening to a pair CLS IIzs and loving them -- but not having the room for them -- I was smitten with the Logan sound and am the proud new owner of a pair of Vantages. These are sounding a bit "disconnected" right now and not at all like the coherence I'd expected following my experience with the CLS IIs. Wondering whether this will change during the break-in and whether there are any suggestions for how to break these in. Vantage owners? Anyone?

thanks and best,

k

The CLSIIz is one of the few Martin Logan’s I have listen too, sadly; so I can not directly compare its sound to the Vantage. I would give your Vantages at least 100 to 200 hours of playtime at moderate listening levels before you start critically listening to them. The woofers will be tight and need some time to loosen up and the panels may sound a little harsh and bright at first. After a few hundred hours of playtime, there sound should relax a bit and the Vantage should disappear into your room.

Give them some time, I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Congratulations on your purchase, you have a little gem of a speaker there!

I left my Vantage's playing for a day with Medeski Martin and Wood which losened them up a treat and found in the space of a few days they sounded great

BUT, it wasn't until i toed them almost right in that things snapped into focus properly (8' centre to centre, 10' away from panel)

Keep experimenting with all sorts of positioning

Enjoy :)

After you break them in, you might want to replace the stock powercord with an aftermarket one. I experienced a pretty big difference when I changed mine. Better bass and smoother mids and highs.

Hi,

Thanks all for the advice -- and I've just realized after searching that a similar thread has already been posted -- sorry... These are already sounding a bit more integrated and relaxed than last night after a few hours of music at moderate volume. Bonesetter -- I've folowed your advice on toe-in and this has made a big difference. Yogi -- have also picked up an inexpensive but supposedly good pair of AC cords and will try those out tonight. Definitely finding lots to like in these Vantages. They have real scale and impact but seem to have preserved the "listenability" I found so intoxicating in the older CLS IIzs I demo'd.

best,

k

They do need to break-in and it takes a considerable amount of playing time before they really sing. This doesn't mean they sound bad out of the box. Far from it. But you'll probably notice a change after you've played them for a lttle while

More important than break-in is finding the ultimate speaker position in your particular room. Speaker positioning and your particular room acoustics have a much greater effect on the overall sound than break-in. Finding the optimum speaker position takes some experimenting and a lot of listening, time and patience.

Congratulations and look forward to seeing your new system on the members' section.

Latest posts

Back