Vantage and Stage in a HT app

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

runnerlk

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers in my dedicated theater room and considering the Vantage and stage CC, I have heard the cinema cc and it was very nice. Also the vantage were excellent for two channel, my concern is for hard hitting action movies, they seemed to be weak. I heard them at my local Tweeter store so it was not the best environment. My questions are:
1) having not heard the stage, is it worht the extra money over the cinema cc?

2) Do you think my assesment of the Vantage is accurate?

I am somewhat flexible on placement, but not concerned about the sweet spot.

My room is 18.5x13.5x8
My gear: Anthem Statement D2 prepro, B&K 200.7 amp, Tosh HDDVD, Panny Blu-ray, Oppo for SACD
108" stewart greyhawk
Panny AE-900U

Thanks,

Lou

Last edited:
runnerlk said:
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers in my dedicated theater room and considering the Vantage and stage CC, I have heard the cinema cc and it was very nice. Also the vantage were excellent for two channel, my concern is for hard hitting action movies, they seemed to be weak. I heard them at my local Tweeter store so it was not the best environment. My questions are:
1) having not heard the stage, is it worht the extra money over the cinema cc?

2) Do you think my assesment of the Vantage is accurate?

I am somewhat flexible on placement, but not concerned about the sweet spot.

My room is 18.5x13.5x8
My gear: Anthem Statement D2 prepro, B&K 200.7 amp, Tosh HDDVD, Panny Blu-ray, Oppo for SACD
108" stewart greyhawk
Panny AE-900U

Thanks,

Lou
Hola Lou and welcome to the club. I think that you are in the right track. Both match perfect, the Vantage and the Stage...great sound!!! or better say, one of the best available!...clean, right in size of the instruments and also super dynamics from both of them...esay to drive them too...happy listening,
Roberto.

runnerlk said:
Hi,

they seemed to be weak. I heard them at my local Tweeter store Lou

Well that pretty much explains everything !

Seriously though, I'm using the Vantage in my setup and am completely satisfied although HT takes a deep back seat to two channel for me. That being said, if HT Action movies are your thing I'd say save your money and buy a far less exspensive speaker and put the balance into an improved theatre enviroment.

yeah, what he said.

If you want an in your face home theater then the Vantages may be better than you need.

Jibara

Money cheerfully refunded upon request.

twich54 said:
Well that pretty much explains everything !

Seriously though, I'm using the Vantage in my setup and am completely satisfied although HT takes a deep back seat to two channel for me. That being said, if HT Action movies are your thing I'd say save your money and buy a far less exspensive speaker and put the balance into an improved theatre enviroment.

ALthough I have a dedicated HT, it is also used for 2 channel quite a bit, I currently have Kirksaeters which are very musical, but the CC is very weak. When i heard the stage I was astounded at the clarity-the very thing i am missing from my Kirks, when I heard Diana Krall on the vantage I was amazed, when I heard 5th Element effects through the vantage, it was OK, not great, OK.
But again, I think my electronics and acoustics are much better. I have been comparing them to Vienna Acoustics and Dali, and I prefer them to both for 2 channel.

Thanks for the feedback

Lou

The lower mid/upper bass area of MLs have often been described to have litte "slam." I'm not sure if this has to do with the electrostatic aspect, or the dipolar aspect...I believe that dipolar speakers are velocity, rather than pressure sources, which may cause that difference....I don't know. I'm building a dipolar midbass array over Thanksgiving...so I'll let you guys know how it compares (and I may throw it into a closed box if it doesn't achieve the desired results)

So, long story short...if you're into DIY, or know someone who is, you can always build a midbass array to create that midbass slam that you're looking for...then you have the best of both worlds...and can adjust them to your preference based on the type and frequency of your crossover. I love the mids and highs of MLs so much that it's well worth it for me to go this route, to see if I can achieve the results I'm looking for in both HT and Music listening.

I have never had the chance to listen to cinema but I use the vantage and the stage in my set up. I use is for 75% HT and sounds amazing. I have the descent to cover all the bass.

jgarbs said:
I have never had the chance to listen to cinema but I use the vantage and the stage in my set up. I use is for 75% HT and sounds amazing. I have the descent to cover all the bass.

Very interesting, I was looking to do the same thing you have in my dedicated HT, I also have Anthem gear Statement D-2, Panny Blu-Ray, Tosh HDDVD.

Do you have any issues with the sweet spot? How far away do you sit?

Thanks,

Lou

Plenty of oomph in my Vantage +cinema i 7.0 set up.

You can also use a sub and xover at 120 if you want more.

Joel

Depends on the size of your room. If the room isn't too big then the Vantages have a lot of slam. In bigger rooms, a subwoofer can be used to fill in the slam factor. The 8 inch woofers seem pretty ruggid. I've played deep bass organ music on it and I've never heard the woofers bottom out.

My room is 14x12x8 so its small. Bass is good to about 31 hz or so. Plenty good good ooomph in movies. For stereo it is superb.

Joel

runnerlk said:
Very interesting, I was looking to do the same thing you have in my dedicated HT, I also have Anthem gear Statement D-2, Panny Blu-Ray, Tosh HDDVD.

Do you have any issues with the sweet spot? How far away do you sit?

Thanks,

Lou

No issues with the sweet spot when watching movies. Seating is about 13 feet from the TV. L/R are about 11 feet from each other. Music does not sound that bad this way but if I'm going to be licensing to music for a long time I bring the L/R closer to each other. The mids are not the best but the detail in the sound makes up for it. If you have a sub you may not notice the lack in mids. I’m very, very happy with the whole set up.
I just waiting a decent Blue Ray, HD player to come out or if I’m lucky I will get my hands on a PS3.

Latest posts

Back