Vacuuming Your Stats

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJRapp

Reaction score
Earlier today I embarrassed myself by posting a cleaning suggestion eslewhere to a user who had already disposed of his MLs.... my bad...that's what happens when you don't read all the way to the end of a thread! Anyway, I decided to repeat what I said in a separate thread so that others may benefit.

Our ES panels sound great ...that is until they build up a microscopic layer dust and all that transparency and airiness just goes totally south. I've read many a thread that recommends vacuuming both sides to mitigate the problem. I also remember awhile ago reading a thread with more detail of how to accomplish this but was unable to find it with the search engine so I'm going to share a technique that was given to me by a repair tech that was sent by ML/Sound Advice to do a warrantee repair on my Summits.

The key is to get rid of the static charge on the mylar panel so that it will readily give up the dust. I've tried other techniques such as unplugging the speakers overnight, or unplugging them and letting them play until the charge runs down, but neither of them get even close to the results that this technique does.

It may seem involved, but it really only adds about 5 mins total to the process.

Once again, these instructions are specific to the Summit, but I am sure that they can be applied, in theory, to most other ML stats...

I vacuum once every two months as follows:

A. Turn off amp, unplug power and speaker cords from the speakers.

B. Using a 5/64" allen key remove the top two screws at the top of the rear backplate...this frees up the top plate which can be then removed exposing a white connector block just behind the stat panel.

C. Using a short piece of insulated wire stripped on both ends ..discharge the stat panel by touching the ends of the wire to the red and blue terminals. The actual contact points are the screws inside each terminal.

D. Reinstall top plate and screws.

OBTW...while you have the top panels off, there are three screws (1/8 allen) on the bracket just ahead of the terminal block...between the block and the panel (the center screw has a ground wire attached). Tighen all three screws as they tend to vibrate loose over time.

F. Thoroughly vacuum both sides of the stat panels...... I make two passes, one horizontal and one vertical. You panels will now get as clean as possible by vacuuming.

G. Rewire and restart.

This method is supposidly ML approved.

Last edited:
Sorry Jerry,

With all due respect, too radical for me.

Having said that, I really do appreciate your commitment to making your Summits sound the best they can be. However, I would question ML Corporate's support / endorsement of this technique.

GG

Last edited:
Those steps are not a big deal to perform. Those steps are designed for the technician who doesn't have the luxury of waiting 12 hours or so for the panels to dissipate their charge. I'll vacuum mine in the afternoon after work when the speakers have rested overnight and all day. It only takes 5-10 minutes to pull out the shop vac and give them the once over.

Speaking of vacs, I bought a new one today. The big one was on sale so I picked that one. It's 20 gallons and 6.5 hp. Has great suction and does a very good job of cleaning the panels or anything else I choose to attack with it. No worries, the mylar film is thin, light but also tough when sandwiched between the stators. You can't hurt it with the soft brush attachment.

do you like the brush better than putting the hose right to the panel?

As stated that is a technicians way of doing it to eliminate problems quick. You stated that it was sent to a dealer. I agree with Gordon saying that is not the common way to do it. I would rather think ML would have you unplug them and wait 24 hrs. No risk of shock with high voltages. However If you want instant results there you go!

No risk of shock with high voltages. However If you want instant results there you go!

FROM ML FAQ
Q. Could myself, my children, or my pets, be shocked by the high-voltage present in the electrostatic panel? A. No. High voltage with low current is not dangerous. As a matter of fact, the voltage in our speakers is 10 times less than the static electricity produce by a TV screen

I don't think there is much of a risk, not to anyone who is knowledgable enough to hook up audio gear, those that are not can either use a less effective technique or leave it to the Pros.. I've never had one produce a spark when using this technique.

As far as leaving the speakers unplugged for 24 hours... I really question if that is sufficeint even though ML says 6-12. That criteria is very environmentally variable. I use the hair on the back of my arm test. If I hold the back of my arm near the front of the stator and I can sense it trying to stand up, then the panel is still holding a charge. Remember even the slightest charge will cause them to retain dust.

I'm putting it to the test as of this moment my panels have been unplugged for 15 hours and won't pass the hair test yet. I'll keep them off till late this afternoon (about another 8 hours) to see if things change.

Last edited:
I'm not doubting you one bit. I have done this method. I have actually changed out panels that were live just don't touch any other wire. (Not that I would know:ROFL:) Its the fastest and the sure fire way to do it.

There is another method I've used

Unplugged the power cord from the speakers, left the CD playing in the unit until it ended and walked away. Sound slowly decreased to an inaudible level while the panel discharged. Came back two hours later and vacuumed the speakers. I have never had to wait 24 hours before vacuuming my ML's when I owned them! The high powered suction on the shop vacs alone pull of any dust that's on the panel discharged or not! I also used the brush attachment. I had mentioned this to Jim Power several years ago while waiting for a replacement circuit board for one of my Odyssey's that had suddenly developed a lower output in the top portion of the panel, and he stated that this method was okay to use.

Last edited:
The high powered suction on the shop vacs alone pull of any dust that's on the panel discharged or not!

Dyson vacuums do well too. And my new house has a ducted vacuum which is what I now use - at least it doesn't simply suck the dust off and blow it straight back out the exhaust!!

A hepa vac will work well also as we have to use them at a university we renovate due to exhaust tolerances.

Regards,
Bob

I am lucky top get rid of Summit because of these silly problems. I will do the maintenance or enjoy music!!! I am more than happy with my ProAc Response D28. They are more musical than Logans!! I don't think I have any regrets!!

I am lucky top get rid of Summit because of these silly problems. I will do the maintenance or enjoy music!!! I am more than happy with my ProAc Response D28. They are more musical than Logans!! I don't think I have any regrets!!

Time to lay off that crack pipe son !

We are all happy that you are enjoying your new speakers but please stop telling us so often! Time to move over to the "ProAc" forum. You are entiltled to your personal opinions and we are all aware of your discontent with the Summit................turn the page please!:rolleyes:

I think he secretly misses his logans. how is a little maintenance such as vacuuming to much trouble? don't ever try any other hobbies such as racing cars,aquariums,boating,fishing or anything else for that matter or you may have a mental breakdown because of what is involved.I have never heard them but by judging from the pics I seriously doubt they sound better than summits.

I agree with the others. Please stop your Summit bashing. I believe we've all heard enough of your rant.

GG

In abhijit's defense

Where he comes from vacuuming dust has a whole new meaning. It's called sand, and it gets in everything, including ears. If you had to use a shop vac every time you played your Summits, well the ear aches alone would drive you to another speaker. You haven't lived until you take a shop vac to your ear canal, although if you put a brush on the end of it, it does make your throat tickle... a little.:D

Good luck with your Proac's I hope you never have to clean them just listen and enjoy.

I'll second that. It's an ultra fine sand and during the months of February through March they get these high winds creating blinding sand storms and like JMAUSPG says it gets into everywhere and everything including every crevice on your body. It's very destructive to machines with moving parts and not so good for electronic equipment either. It's a bad environment for electrostats and a sealed box speaker makes sense in this environment but the sand is also bad for electronic gear as it builds up over time until it creates shorts or results in gritty volume/selector knobs.

Hi JMA and Craig,

I don't doubt for one minute that sand is a big issue in that part of the world and then he whines about the hassle of vacuuming the panels.

Duh.

I take exception to the fact that this individual has used this forum to make silly, DEFINITIVE statements about the Proac being a more musical (read better, superior, etc.) speaker than the Summit.

May be the case that for this individual, in his room with his ancillary equipment. He finds it more musical and that's fine. However, we all know the foolishness of making such an objective statement about a product given the absolute subjectivity of this hobby and the numerous variables that ultimately influence one's own perception about what is better and / or superior.

FWIW, I've heard various Proac models over the years and I have been very impressed with their performance within the context of a box speaker. I also recognize that, given this person's geographical location, the Proac is obviously a lower maintenance speaker.

GG

Back