Utterly breath taking Amplifer (homemade)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I just finished a bi-amp design based on the LM4780 chip.

I finally got the cahoonays to really crank it and DOUBLE WOW! My Ascent i's sound better than they did at the Tweeter I auditioned them at.

There is no sibilance and the transients are literally spatially deceiving. The stage has increased to an almost enveloping degree. It is as if the surround sound is on!

I just can't describe it as anything other then surreal. I have tried so hard to get that perfect balance and life-like reproduction and I can finally say that I am satisfied! Truly!

Maybe it is becuase I built the amp with my own design goals-so I got what I perceive to be the best sound, but it is...to me!

I only wish I could here a high end Krell to compare!

Has anyone else had this kind of success?? Any other DIY'ers on here??

I have fallen in love with ML again!
Dominick

I am an electrical engineer and was thinking about designing and building my on amp. I would love to see some pics of your amp and, if you can post the schematic as well.

Thanks

Cherian said:
I am an electrical engineer and was thinking about designing and building my on amp. I would love to see some pics of your amp and, if you can post the schematic as well.

Thanks

I am an architect, and have thought of doing a creative case/enclosure of some kind. I've drawn some standing mono units inspired by the Halcro and Nagra designs.

Halcro.jpg

guest03.jpg

I read that the Rogue preamp was designed/styled by an architect. I guess the big arch gives that away. :D

Please post a picture, we promise to be kind. :)

OK fellow ML lovers,

When I complete the amp, I will post some pics. Right now it is not mounted in a chassis.

I bought some red cedar from a guy in Cali and I think that I will use it for the case.

Kack22i...

I love that first tower casing you posted. Are you still making anything?? I have really been searching hard for an eye catching case.

I like that one!

My only problem has been price. I found someone that was making IDENTICAL Pass 350.2 chassis, but he charges almost $400 for it!!
Nice--but too much for just a case-you know?
I would like to stay under $100!

Thanks,
Dominick
Oh-And this is the site I got the chip kit from:
Audiosector.com
It is run by Peter Daniel who is awesome. He is the Jim Powers equivalent!LOL
I did a few mods to the kit that made huge differences. I will let you in on all of my secrets if you choose to buy one! I bought 4 and am running the ascent i's in bi amp config now!

Dominick22 said:
Kack22i...

I love that first tower casing you posted. Are you still making anything?? I have really been searching hard for an eye catching case.

I like that one!
!

I have sketches, dreams and hopes, no product (yet).

I don't want to give away my exact design but if I just tell you one way which I think would be practical, easy and cool it would be up to you to make it happen. What I am about to describe is a home made version of the Halcro unit (in form only).

Furniture grade Russian Baltic Birch 3/4" plywood. I built all my office furniture with it, $95 for a sheet 4'x8'. Another type of Baltic Birch is 5' x 5' so it can be shipped from Europe via UPS and can also be used. You will have to cut two pieces about 12" x 30", and two more about 12" x 12". I had to score the plywood with a matt knife and use masking or paint tape each side with the best finish plywood cut circular saw blade I could find to prevent massive splintering. Your saw should be a high speed table ban saw, however I used a hand held circular saw with a guide for straight cuts. I am talking about using exposed plywood edges that is why no splintering is important (wood caps look tacky - like wood caps, solid wood may look chunky and low tech). I also would use brassy looking cabinet screws to hold it all together leaving them exposed, although wood peg caps or putty is another way to do it. I would use real varnish not polyurethane not acrylic, varnish gives it a natural glow (no sealer, no stain).

There is an image in the back of most stereo magazines of some small batch stereo equipment which looks similar to what I've described - check it out.

Also if you trust your jigsaw skills some kind of handle or hole near the top of the side fins would be most practical for moving the unit about. I think bolt on handles would be tacky and look like an after thought.

Build it and they will come.:)

PS: Dont forget the floor spikes. ;)

EDIT: Some metal trim would be cool at the suspended mounting shelf, a horizontal ban of black metal, cooper, brass, aluminum, stainless steel.................or even colored acrylic, glass, frosted glass (back lit) or if artsy use mosaic tile.

Last edited:
Back