Using Regenerated 125V vs typical household line

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGuy

Reaction score
Have a pair of CLX Art but question may be applicable to all electrostatic speakers (design permitting).

Just read in article on PS Audio AC regenerators wherein it was recommended to operate speakers with 125V supply versus whatever is coming out of wall. It WAS suggested that speaker manufacturer be contacted to verify OK.

Any thoughts and/or experience appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

At least your power amp will make 8.5% more power on 125V versus 120V.

No it won't. It will just demand less current.

Which is probably a good thing.

Which might be why some people at PS Audio are recommending it.

But I agree with others - I wouldn't be mucking around with regeneration unless there is a problem in the first place.

Maybe more power or maybe not, it depends.
If the amp has a regulated DC supply then no.
If the power is limited by the Safe Operating Area of the output devices then no.

A bit confused... I am not talking about using regen power for power amps but for the AC supplied to the CLXs themselves.

While YMMV, the experience of myself and others, specifically with Pass amps, is that regen AC causes them to sound less dynamic.

I have queried ML about regen AC but thought I would ask the community.

I've never bought into the regenerated power thing, even though I do pay a lot of attention to AC supplies.

What I do find from personal experience is that a big, complex system does benefit from balanced (technical) power, espcially if the isolation transformer is big enough to handle all your load.

I run an Equitech 5Kva balanced system alogn with my own custom power seuencing and distribution system and have a super quiet noise floor, and plenty of juice for the amps. The ESLs run fine on technical power as well, in case anyone was wondering.

A bit confused... I am not talking about using regen power for power amps but for the AC supplied to the CLXs themselves.
While YMMV, the experience of myself and others, specifically with Pass amps, is that regen AC causes them to sound less dynamic.
I have queried ML about regen AC but thought I would ask the community.
That's what I though your plan was.
But whether it's AC for the CLXs or power amps or for anything else, just stay away from regen.

I would stay far away from regeneration (and all it's associated problems) unless it's absolutely necessary.

What are it’s problems? I would certainly hesitate on setting the voltage higher than 120. I understand a poor power conditioner can limit dynamics. But that is different than power regen.

What are the problems?
For starters:
a] known interference generators.
b] high source impedance. they can't keep up with rapidly changing current demands.
which also means they can fight with amps that have a SMPS.

@speedskater, any thoughts on the impact of power sources like a Tesla PowerWall, which is also a 'regenerator' that takes DC from the battery and generates 120v AC? Is the type of inverter used there more controlled and cleaner?

The one thing that I know about Tesla cars is:
They no longer offer AM radios in their cars. Because of the large amount of interference generated by the system.

Thanks Speedskater, that is an excellent source of info in that link. The mitigation does not look too bad if planned pre-deployment.

I'm planning on deploying a pair of PowerWalls in the next year or two, mostly as a whole house UPS. There might be a small solar setup as well.

So this is the first time I heard negatives on power regen. I have heard bad things on power conditioners. I do have a ps audio P10 and in all honesty it seems to be doing a great job. Lower noise floor...no hum..system sounds consistent all the time - like it’s late in the evening completely warmed up.

I read about the problems in engineering, pro-audio and Ham-radio. Audiophile pages are not that interested tech stuff.

I read about the problems in engineering, pro-audio and Ham-radio. Audiophile pages are not that interested tech stuff.

I’m not questioning anything in what you say speedskater. Personally I don’t know enough about the topic. I just wanted to say I have had some luck with it.

Back