Using PBK Room Correction on a Pair of Speakers with Built-In ARC Electronics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hear Here

Reaction score
OK, maybe I'm stupid, or maybe the instructions for using the PBK kit are confusing, but I'm not sure how to start PBK room correction with my Expression 13As.

The instructions were obviously written for correcting the response of a sub-woofer when supporting main speakers, rather than for a pair of tuneable speakers such as 11A, 13A or 15A. My initial question is - do I switch the left speaker off and correct the right one first, then correct the left speaker with the right one switched off? Thanks

For the Expressions, you need to use the ARC (Anthem Room Correction) software, NOT the PBK software, which is only for ML BalancedForce subs. However, you can use the same Microphone with either software, as long as you type in the serial number to get the proper calibration.

With ARC, you can run the program (and apply the resulting DSP correction) for each speaker separately, or measure both at the same time by connecting them together with an ethernet cable. Here's the link for ARC instructions... https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/files/5a202b22ac4b1.pdf

If you're also using BalancedForce sub(s), it's a bit more complicated, as the Expressions bass, and the Subs bass, are being corrected independently of each other, despite speaker/sub/room interactions being simultaneous. Ideally, it would have been nice if the software measured (and corrected) the entire system at the same time. I've been struggling to manually optimize my Expressions + dual BF210 subs because they are "fighting" against one another!

Last edited:
For the Expressions, you need to use the ARC (Anthem Room Correction) software, NOT the PBK software, which is only for ML BalancedForce subs. However, you can use the same Microphone with either software, as long as you type in the serial number to get the proper calibration.

With ARC, you can run the program (and apply the resulting DSP correction) for each speaker separately, or measure both at the same time by connecting them together with an ethernet cable. Here's the link for ARC instructions... https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/files/5a202b22ac4b1.pdf

If you're also using BalancedForce sub(s), it's a bit more complicated, as the Expressions bass, and the Subs bass, are being corrected independently of each other, despite speaker/sub/room interactions being simultaneous. Ideally, it would have been nice if the software measured (and corrected) the entire system at the same time. I've been struggling to manually optimize my Expressions + dual BF210 subs because they are "fighting" against one another!

Many thanks. I suspect with my room's odd features (roughly semi-circular with the speakers in the centre but facing across the room), I'm probably best to correct each speaker separately - or would you recommend doing them together?

I have no subs so the complication you mention doesn't apply with my system.

I'll try to get initial measurements done in the next few days, but I'm not yet decided on which amp to use which may be significant. I'm also still experimenting with speaker angles - toe-in and panel tilt - although I doubt these will make much difference to measured bass response.

As a matter of interest, what amplifier, or even type of amp, do you find best with your 13As? Thanks Peter

There's no difference in the final corrections if you measure them separately or together. It's just easier when they are tethered with the ethernet cable, as it automatically measures one, and then the other, for each mic position, and downloads the appropriate DSP room correction to each.

One caveat... if you bought your speakers NEW, it takes 50+ hrs for the woofers to break in. If you run ARC now while they're new, you'll want to repeat it after break-in, and again whenever you change their placement, or your listening position.

Re amps, I've only run mine with (relatively) high powered solid state amps (paired with a tube preamp). I think I read somewhere (perhaps another forum) that you have multiple amps, so you can experiment and see which you prefer. Have fun!

Back