Using existing AVR as a preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmancv

Reaction score
I was just buzzing around cyberspace and came upon a discussion board discussing amplifiers. (The site had no where near the class of users who reside on this board!) Anyway, I'm going to upgrade on the power side and I'm pretty sold on the idea of buying seven Outlaw 2200's for the amp-side. My question: can I somehow use my existing Denon 2105 as a pre-amp? Since cash is always an issue it would allow me to get the Outlaws on line quicker.
Thanks and I hope you all have a safe and euphonious holiday!!

holmancv said:
I was just buzzing around cyberspace and came upon a discussion board discussing amplifiers. (The site had no where near the class of users who reside on this board!) Anyway, I'm going to upgrade on the power side and I'm pretty sold on the idea of buying seven Outlaw 2200's for the amp-side. My question: can I somehow use my existing Denon 2105 as a pre-amp? Since cash is always an issue it would allow me to get the Outlaws on line quicker.
Thanks and I hope you all have a safe and euphonious holiday!!

Hola. Right now in my system I'm using a Sherwood model R-965 as a pre-amp, and surround amp. The amplifiers that I,m usings for stereo front is a Sonic Frontiers Power Two and a Bryston model 2B in bridge for the center channel. I do like this set up very much...perhaps this could help in your decision. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola. Right now in my system I'm using a Sherwood model R-965 as a pre-amp, and surround amp. The amplifiers that I,m usings for stereo front is a Sonic Frontiers Power Two and a Bryston model 2B in bridge for the center channel. I do like this set up very much...perhaps this could help in your decision. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

ah, but the R-965 has 9 pre-amp outs (Left, Center, Right, L Surround, L Rear Center Surround, R Rear Center Surround, R Surround, 2 Subwoofer) allowing you to hookup up discrete amps to it.

unless the integrated has pre outs, you are out of luck as the line outs for recording devices are not affected by the volume control. you want that :)

zaphod said:
ah, but the R-965 has 9 pre-amp outs (Left, Center, Right, L Surround, L Rear Center Surround, R Rear Center Surround, R Surround, 2 Subwoofer) allowing you to hookup up discrete amps to it.

unless the integrated has pre outs, you are out of luck as the line outs for recording devices are not affected by the volume control. you want that :)

i downloaded the owners manual for the 2105 and yes, it does have pre-amp outs. check pages 7,13 and 15 for instructions on how to hook up your outlaws to the 2105.

Thank You All So Very Much!!!

This is great news! Now if I could only find the darn user's manual. I'll give it a look and see. If I can get this to work I can do this a lot quicker than I thought.
Happy Holidays.

(Roberto, where do you live in CR?)

I'm surprised you're not looking into the multi-channel amps from Outlaw. That would be cheaper than buying 7 2200's. In addition it's less space too for one bigger unit than 7 smaller units. Finally, I would actually suggest to buy 2 or 3 amps for the main speakers (L/R/C) and save the rest of the money to upgrade the receiver or get a pre-amp/pro.

holmancv,
I think you are doing the right thing here. You are taking small steps and that is good and not expensive ones, so far. :eek: The couch can be an uncomfortable place to sleep for long periods of time. :eek:
Get the best amp for you, whether it is 2 channel or5/7. You have to be comfortable with the decision. IT is not about the money but the quality of what you hear, what you like, what fits in to your budget and what you can really afford.
I have 3 amps and it was intentional but if I could have afforded a 5 channel amp that meet my specifications that would have been good too. Of course I probably would have not been able to afford one either.

Jeff :cool:

holmancv said:
This is great news! Now if I could only find the darn user's manual. I'll give it a look and see. If I can get this to work I can do this a lot quicker than I thought.
Happy Holidays.

(Roberto, where do you live in CR?)

Hola...I live in San Jose, Guachipelin de Escazu. At the west part of the city. Can I help you from this part of the worl? My celular phone is: 506-380-5187.
Regards from Costa Rica,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back