Using compressed air on ESL panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kccode1

Reaction score
I have always just used a vacuumed them, but I read on ML's website that you can used compressed air. Has anyone ever done this? If so what did you use, just a dust off can or other compressor?

I don't really have a lot of dust. We have an electronic air cleaner, but I can see some dots on the film. They have never been around smoke. I also did not know about unpluging them when not in use. I sure will now.

I have always just used a vacuumed them, but I read on ML's website that you can used compressed air. Has anyone ever done this? If so what did you use, just a dust off can or other compressor?

I don't really have a lot of dust. We have an electronic air cleaner, but I can see some dots on the film. They have never been around smoke. I also did not know about unpluging them when not in use. I sure will now.

Be careful as it's not always air that comes out of those cans (sometimes it comes out in liquid frozen form!

A soft shot with air from a compressor or hair dryer on COOL setting may dislodge some dust. However; a thorough vacuuming with a horse hair brush is as good! Sometimes you can do everything and the panels still go. Its a mystery !

If you use a powered air compressor just be careful not to get too close with the nozzle. Also, some powered air compressor systems will also spray a little oil and or water along with the air. The oil is part of the lube system for air tools and water often gets in the storage tank from condensation and compressed humid air.

Compressed air cans should be fine. The cans get cold from the loss of heat as the large volumes of air leave the can. The can gets cold but the air is not cold enough to cause any problems. I find a powerful shop vac with a soft brush attachment works best for cleaning the panels.

Not sure what the spots are. Probably environmental contaminants that won't come off with vacuuming. Panels may need to be washed or they may not be bad enough to effect performance.

Whether or not you use a vacuum or compressed air be sure to leave the panels unplugged overnight to allow the panel to discharge. Otherwise the panel will continue to act as a dust magnet.

Last edited:
when you guys use a vacuum cleaner do you stick the round nozzle directly to the stator of do you like the brush attachment I would worry that the brush may put a hole in the panel

when you guys use a vacuum cleaner do you stick the round nozzle directly to the stator of do you like the brush attachment I would worry that the brush may put a hole in the panel

I always use the bare nozzle with my hand cupped around the end. It enables some pretty decet pressure to build up against the panel.

soft horse hair brush. Never the Nylon !

Exactly Chris, I've been preaching that since day one....for the simple fact it does not promote the build up of static electricity, which in turn attracts even MORE dust !!

We have an electronic air cleaner, but I can see some dots on the film. They have never been around smoke.

I have had those dots on Quest panels and it didn't come off with vacuuming. Washing may get it off but I never tried that as I eventually replaced the panels.

How would you wash the panels?

I don't think the discoloration affects the performance, I just want my panels to last as long as they can and if it some sort of build up I don't want it to get worse.

Once the dots are there your done ! They are etched to the coating. Washing will do about nothing too. You live in Lawrence ! Drive over and get a new pair.

get a new pair.

Hey that would be great if they are giving them away.

I don't think I could afford it on my Cop salary. :ROFL:

I do have to get over there to buy my new woofer and that is high enough for me.

The discoloration has been on them since I bought them. I am sure that it affects the quality some, but not enough to replace.

I just have never heard of washing the panels.

Bribery goes along way ! Tell Jim Power he has a pass forever as long as he gets you some new panels!

There is a link on how to wash them . Do a search !

See the dots and the panel is done? Really? When I get up close to my panels - I see little dots in some places - but I haven't heard any difference at all from day one.

Back