Used Aeon vs Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
Is there really a significant difference in sound from the Used Aeon vs Aerius (the i editions).

Also,my ML dealer stated that vacuuming would be the only maintenance neccessary for older MLs. Not neccessary to wash the panels.

I don't know, but here are the links to the M/L timeline spec sheets.

Aeon
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=91

Aerius - Aerius-i
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=38

Looks like the Aeon ($3,000) sold for $1,000 more than my original Aerius ($2,000) speakers.

Let your ears decide...............new panels are over $500, right (contact the factory to find out)? If you find a pair with newer panels (or replacement), this could be a good thing. They typically last a very long time with regular cleaning.

Just called "Jim" at ML (nice guy),and told me changing out panels on the Aerius are easy. Has anyone here changed out panels on the Aerius? How long will it take? Thanks.

One more question,this is going to be an apartment stereo setup,small and quaint. I already have an Adcom 5400 amp (100w per channel in 8 and 4 ohms). Does anyone here on this board use Adcom electronics. This will have to hold me over till we get our house.

I think yes..

longhorn said:
Is there really a significant difference in sound from the Used Aeon vs Aerius (the i editions).

Also,my ML dealer stated that vacuuming would be the only maintenance neccessary for older MLs. Not neccessary to wash the panels.

Hello longhorn,

While I haven't heard the Aeons yet, will be doing so within a couple of weeks, I believe the Aeons are substantially improved upon in the bass department over the Aerius i's...I also can see an ambience driver located at the back of the speaker..

In the time I lived with the Aerius I's i wasn't satisfied with the quality and general bass performance. Something definitely lacked there. I see the Aeons have a ported bass enclosure as opposed of a sealed one in the Aerius..

Something tells me the Aeons will also be easier to drive than its predeceesor.
I doubt there will be a major noticeable difference re the panels, but with the new 'bass' design and the rear firing 'ambience' driver you should get a better
overall sonic performance with more air to boot.

ML recommend Adcom amplifiers, but if budget eventually allows you should seek higher quality electronics as the Logans in general respond very nicely to partnering equipment and higher quality so to speak. Not that the adcom are low quality, just that 'better' amplification will not be a waste of money with those speakers.

Good luck & hope this helps :)

AP

Currently Using Adcom

Longhorn,

I currently use an Adcom GFA-5800 for my mains (250 wpc) and a GFA-5500 for my center and surrounds (200 wpc). The 5800 is a Nelson Pass design that got good reviews in Audio Magazine when it came out in the 1993 time frame, if I’m not mistaken. My ML experience is limited to these amps. I have not had the funds to upgrade amps, but have done so in other places. I used to run an Adcom GFP-555II pre amp, that also got very good reviews at the time, with the these amps. This combo, to me, was very harsh and bright once I replaced my Vandersteen 2Ce’s with my SL3’s, last March/April. In June of this year I purchased a PS Audio PCA-2 pre that significantly tamed the high end. I still need to upgrade my cd source, but I can live with and enjoy the current sound, provided the recording is well done. The 5800 has been a workhorse for me and has no trouble driving my SL3’s, but until I demo something different I don’t know if I’m missing anything.

Kruppy

Audio Pharaoh said:
Hello longhorn,

While I haven't heard the Aeons yet, will be doing so within a couple of weeks, I believe the Aeons are substantially improved upon in the bass department over the Aerius i's...I also can see an ambience driver located at the back of the speaker..

In the time I lived with the Aerius I's i wasn't satisfied with the quality and general bass performance. Something definitely lacked there. I see the Aeons have a ported bass enclosure as opposed of a sealed one in the Aerius..

Something tells me the Aeons will also be easier to drive than its predeceesor.
I doubt there will be a major noticeable difference re the panels, but with the new 'bass' design and the rear firing 'ambience' driver you should get a better
overall sonic performance with more air to boot.

ML recommend Adcom amplifiers, but if budget eventually allows you should seek higher quality electronics as the Logans in general respond very nicely to partnering equipment and higher quality so to speak. Not that the adcom are low quality, just that 'better' amplification will not be a waste of money with those speakers.

Good luck & hope this helps :)

AP

Your are talking here about the Aeon i, not Aeon... 2nd hand, mostly Aeons are offered.

Back