UPS recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
my 10 year old UPS up and died, what recommendations does the group have ? APC 1500AV perhaps ?

Summit bass amps

Jonfo can u recommend anything I can use to protect my summits from electrical surges and burn outs which have been destroying my bass amps in the summits I have asked ml and they have no suggestions? Thanks

Jonfo can u recommend anything I can use to protect my summits from electrical surges and burn outs which have been destroying my bass amps in the summits I have asked ml and they have no suggestions? Thanks

This is a good question for this forum, as most modern models incorporate DSP and Class-D bass amps.

One thing to understand about class D is that they rely on (usually analog) control-loops to manage the PWM signal, and if the voltage levels needed to run those control functions drops too low due to undervoltage of the mains, then the amp will grossly misbehave, especially if a large demand is being put on it. That would happen when you are playing loud, the sub is plugged into the same AC power source as the ML units and the high draw from the subs creates a voltage dip on the AC, then the bass amps suffer.

As you note, general poor AC mains issues, such as brown-outs and surges will also affect things, and be even worse, as they can fry the amps.

Having grown up in Latin America in the '60's and 70's, I'm familiar with poor power scenarios and how they affect audio systems. My dad lost more than one amp / pre-amp until he got an Automatic Voltage Regulator, and then later, a full 3KVA constant sine-wave output UPS (runs off the inverter 100%).

Since your root problem seems to purely a voltage level issue, your best bet (and lowest cost) is to first try a basic voltage regulator/filter device and see how that does.

I'd think this TrippLite LC2400 model has enough capacity to handle both Summits: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC1800-Conditioner-Outlet/dp/B0000514OG/

If you have a Subwoofer with a class-D amp, then get another one just for the sub.

If you want to step it up a notch, then look at the various Furman products, such as the P 2400 AR https://www.proaudiostar.com/furman-p-2400-ar.html

Hi Dave, if just looking for a decent 1500VA UPS for computers, the Cyberpower CP1500 has worked well for me over the years https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/

If looking for something with a pure sine-wave output, then more expensive models are required, such as the PFC series https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W/

Jonathan, thanks, how important for powering a desktop computer is it for the 'pure' sine wave unit to be used ? others have mentioned this .....

https://minutemanups.com/sinewave-vs-simulated-sinewave/

Summit bass amps

I am using a normal surge protector with delay. This seems to be a generic summit issue. I have faced this issue multiple times

Does anyone know which amps summit X is using and why they are not facing similar issues?

I am using a normal surge protector with delay. This seems to be a generic summit issue. I have faced this issue multiple times

Does anyone know which amps summit X is using and why they are not facing similar issues?
That is probably not enough to really protect. Seems the power supply in the original Summit is sensitive to under or overvoltage, which is why a voltage regulator is suggested.
I'm guessing that the X model has a better, more regulated power supply.

That is probably not enough to really protect. Seems the power supply in the original Summit is sensitive to under or overvoltage, which is why a voltage regulator is suggested.
I'm guessing that the X model has a better, more regulated power supply.

I have installed the surge protector afterwards so not sure yet. Voltage or UPS?

I never paid attention to the type of electrical signal provided by power backups units.
I didn't know there were Modified or Partial Sign Waves, Square Waves and Pure Sign Waves. There are probably others I still don't know about.
Some units are Line Interactive, where the batteries are involved if the line voltage varies out of perimeters.
Others are On Line where the batteries are in the signal path all the time.
It made me decide that, with a substantial investment attached to my backup it was time to move to one that will have the least adverse effect on all of it.
With most of my front end being digital, I leave it on all of the time. By my calculations, if my equipment attached to the UPC, is at rest, it draws about 75 Watts max.
I decided on a TrippLite Smart OnLine 1500VA. With its 1200 Watts it would give me almost 2 hours of battery time should the power to out while I'm away. It is seldom ever out that long where we would not be around the house.

Thanks Dave, for starting the thread to make me think about what I was using.

+1 for SurgeX products, I use an Axess Elite to sequence my rig, if you want to see how extreme one can get about power, check out my balanced power sequenced PDU build thread

attachment.php

I have a power question. I'm in the process of changing the room around for my theater and I want to make sure power is not an issue. From what I am reading a UPS is probably a good purchase since I don't have one. My next question would be what would you recommend be plugged directly into that UPS you have suggested? I've read and heard that AMPs should not be plugged into my current Panamax units? And I've seen where PS Audio and AudioQuest have added high voltage outlets to their units which are designed for AMPs.

So with that being said what is the ideal setup besides paying JonFo to come to my house and build out my power setup? LOL

I recently bought an Eaton 3KVA UPS. I run my speakers, sub, processor, scaler and thinking to try adding the projector as well. I am thinking to add the pj because sometimes when the family turns on the AC units i get some lines on the screen

I didn't add my monoblocks because throughout any power surges or cuts i never faced an issue with them.

It's literally one of the best UPS you can buy, you can find reviews etc. However, have in mind that a UPS is noisy. Mine is installed in a server rack and i close the door when watching moved or listening to music. Of course at high levels, you won't listen to anything but at low, it's very irritating

I use an APC UPS to power the computer music server which feeds my 2-channel system.

For the main power to the audio system itself, I have had 2 dedicated 20-amp duplexes with "home runs" to the master panel using 10ga wire. (Yes, my son-in-law swore at me when he did the rewire!) The outlets are "hospital grade".

For the front end components (DAC, universal player, and preamp) I am using a PSAudio P3 regenerator with a PSAudio Ultimate Outlet to prefilter between it and the wall.

For the speakers, I am using a PSAudio P300 (replaced by the P3).

For the amps, I am using a PSAudio Duet between amps and wall. FWIW, I agree that amps tend to get "stifled" if run off a filtering device or even a regenerator. IF I decide to replace my APC UPS, it will be a unit that regenerate the power 100% of the time and need to look for units that create a true sinewave, not "simulated/approximated".

Remember a line conditioner of top level quality is the Furman 2400. It is like the big guns of the Masterpiece line of speakers. It is top shelf. But it is a line/voltage conditioner. It allows your equipment to only see 120 volts even though it is receiving some garbage into it. But it is not a UPS. I would recommend for the guys who can afford it (most Martin Logan owners?) to get the Furman and don't bother with the UPS. When the furman receives voltage so out of whack it can't control it, it will shut off and save all your sound equipment. Since this turning off is not giving your equipment huge voltage spikes or large sags it does not hurt your equipment. It is literally like turning your equipment off normally. So you get your equipment protected from surges, spikes, sags and trash. But if it is really, really bad it turns everything off. Just an opinion from humble old me. :)

Just to be clear. I am using an online UPS. Everything goes out 230V stable no surge nothing. If there is a cut i have 45mins if the equipment is on to shut it down

Back