Upgrade woofers in Ascent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrycym

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own a pair of Ascents and I’ve been thinking of upgrading the original paper cone woofers to the aluminium cone woofers as used in the Ascent i

Is this worth it?
I do notice that the bass is not as “agile” as the sound from the panel as the bass sometimes lags behind. Would the upgrade improve things here?

If I do upgrade, I should do it soon while stocks last ;)

How easy is it to do this? I presume I just take of the grills and undo some screws from the front. I also presume that they drivers are connected via push-on connectors so no soldering is required.

Thanks,
Terry

From previous experience with ML, I would have to assume that they will send you everything you will need with very detailed instructions. Please continue to post on this as you get further into the project. I too have thought about doing this to mine but have not really checked into it yet and am very curious about the process. Good luck!

terrycym said:
Hi all,

I own a pair of Ascents and I’ve been thinking of upgrading the original paper cone woofers to the aluminium cone woofers as used in the Ascent i

Is this worth it?
I do notice that the bass is not as “agile” as the sound from the panel as the bass sometimes lags behind. Would the upgrade improve things here?

If I do upgrade, I should do it soon while stocks last ;)

How easy is it to do this? I presume I just take of the grills and undo some screws from the front. I also presume that they drivers are connected via push-on connectors so no soldering is required.

Thanks,
Terry
Hola Terry. The aluminum woofers are to my ears faster than the paper ones. Also, they, to my liking, are more friendly use. The bass notes are more real, due to have better upper bass tone than the paper. They produce cleaner bass, less distortion. So, if you can make the change, you won´t regret it. It is a good tweak for your Ascent. The bass player is better defined and better with the right size than the paper cone. Please, take a note that this is my liking and not necessary your liking. If you pay attention, you can hear the metal cone, but no problem with that. The electric bass is like listening it live. The frequency response and the sensitivity of the speaker is the same.We have here at the forum, another person who kept the paper than the aluminum, so trust your ears and choose the one that you like most. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Ordered!

Thanks Roberto,

I've just spoken to my dealer and ordered a pair. He confirmed that they are indeed clearer than the paper ones. He also said that they need a good month to run in.

I've had a look at how they are fixed and there are just 6 wood screws keeping them in. I was afraid they used nuts and bolts and I'd need to open the backs to gets at the nuts but no need.

Should be here next month.

Terry

woofers

Could you possible tell how much you had to pay for them?

upgrade woofers in Ascent

terrycym: Good evening. I would also like the price,(if its not to intrusive), and if possible, where the dealer came from. Are the woofers black, by the way, or silverish or what? It sounds like just taking a drill with reverse; unscrewing the 6, and then switching them out. I guess the sealant comes with the package. Sounds pretty easy. What do you plan to do with the old woofers? I would be interested if you are so inclined to deal. But whatever you decide, I think you will be happy with the new sound. Best of luck with the project.

Last edited:
Price

They cost £180 each all inclusive and I've ordered them from Audio Venue in Maidenhead, Berkshire.

My 1st plan was to but the old ones in the loft but if anybody wants to buy them, I'll post a message when they arrive. This leads me on to the final point, I don't know, not got them yet, but every picture I've seen shows silver one.

Terry

Latest posts

Back