Upgrade the Wall Outlets!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
I live in a condo built in the late 70's. As a cheap tweak, I bought 2 hospital grade outlets at Home Depot (about $13.00 each) to replace the 30 year old outlets in the wall.

The difference between the old outlets and the new is subtle but clearly audible. Bass drive and extension is better, backgrounds are quieter, and the high treble is subtly more grain-free, more airy.

I find this to be a beneficial and inexpensive tweak and I recommend it to all.

I have 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits for my system (my son is an electrician). The Amp on one by itself, another for the components, third for the ML speakers and a 4th for the subs.

I used to see the voltage drops on my Panamax display but now there are none.

there was a thread a while back on avsforum regarding outlets. if i remember correctly, the best thing to do is get a hospital grade outlet with an isolated ground. hospital grade plugs have much firmer contact points in comparison to home depot brands and grip the power cord prongs better, thus resulting to a better contact from metal to metal. there is no "sound" to be benefitted from outlets as some companies state. hubbell makes excellent plugs that are cost effective.

Talk over at AA has talked about the Pass & Seymour outlets being the best. The models talked about were the 5242, 5252, & 5262 - all 15A Models. Cannot remember what the 20A versions were at this time but if you look at the Pass & Seymour site, I am sure you can find them.

Anthony A. said:
there was a thread a while back on avsforum regarding outlets. if i remember correctly, the best thing to do is get a hospital grade outlet with an isolated ground. hospital grade plugs have much firmer contact points in comparison to home depot brands and grip the power cord prongs better, thus resulting to a better contact from metal to metal. there is no "sound" to be benefitted from outlets as some companies state. hubbell makes excellent plugs that are cost effective.

No "sound" as you say, but better power delivery, whether due to tighter connections, nice clean contacts, fresh wire connections, etc, seem to improve the way components sound.

These are hospital grade plugs sold at the Home Depot and appear to be similar, possibly identical, to some audiophile grade plugs sold on the internet for twice the price.

I was all set to order the "high-end" plugs but being in elect. engineering, I ordered from a supplier Hubbel hospital grade outlets. 20A for the equipment outlets and 15A for the regular outlets in the room. Connections feel much more secure that the regular outlets around the house.

Back