Upgrade Renaissance ESL 15A feet, any advice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the spikes on their Renaissance ESL 15A with Acoustics Gaia 1 isolation feet? Also, what is the thread size on the Renaissance?

G'day mate,

Replaced the supplied spikes on my CLX's with Iso Acoustics Gaia II's, and a definite improvement indeed! Can't remember the exact thread size on the Ren15a's but I know they're pretty thick. You can get this info directly from your ML dealer or directly from ML! They'll know for sure.

Also, depends on where you're located... ML sent me the thread size in US standard, which wasn't too helpful in Aus standards... however the ML tech over here managed to figure it out, and I got the required size. The initial sizes that came supplied in the Gaia II's boxes aren't the correct sizes, so none of them fit.

The Ren15a's are most probably larger than what Iso Acoustics would supply in their Gaia boxes. So, you'd need to check on this.

The Gaia's do a remarkable job of isolation and vibration control. Unwanted resonances are virtually zero, enabling you to hear far greater detail and depth from your favourite recordings.
They are very well built and designed, have a really solid feel and do a fine job. Compared to the Nordost Sort Fut, which are twice the price just for one, I settled for the Gaia's. The Nordost Sort Fut are top notch stuff but spending 2grand on just a set of 4 is really taking the piss... that's 4grand for a set of 8!

I believe the Gaia's are real vfm compared to the Nordost equivalent. There's another set of isolation feet called the Grand Prix iso discs. They're even more expensive than the Nordost...goes to show the great lengths these designers would do just for isolation points.

I've been using the Gaia's since two years now and absolutely loving it! Tremendous detail and clarity from your stats is truly delivered!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

I have the 13A and bought the GAIA II and love them! I haven't been able to figure out how to measure a soundstage, so I have not been able to measure anything to prove what I'm hearing, but for me, it's all in the soundstage and articulation. Don't be fooled by those who say the improvement is all in the bass. I heard the most improvement in the mid and upper ranges, basically, everything!

You will need the Long Thread adapters. Your dealer knows what this means. They are longer to get through the amp section below the speaker. They are free, so don't pay for them. If your dealer isn't helpful, just contact Focal/Naim and they can send you the Long Thread adapters directly.

I bought two more sets of GAIA II feet for my subwoofer stacks.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention getting the Aperta 300 for my Focus center speaker. Even without any claim of improving anything, it's totally functional as a center speaker stand.

The Aperta is a six point device that is less deep so it'll fit under a lot of center speakers. Plus, it's got tilt by extending the three points along its length. Pretty cool!

I suppose I should get around to installing the GAIA's I bought a year or two ago on my 15's!!! I'm just waiting until my system 'settles down' so I'm not trying to evaluate several changes at once. Unfortunately, I just haven't got to that point yet! :LOL:

I suppose I should get around to installing the GAIA's I bought a year or two ago on my 15's!!! I'm just waiting until my system 'settles down' so I'm not trying to evaluate several changes at once. Unfortunately, I just haven't got to that point yet! :LOL:
If you need us to do an intervention I'd be happy to participate. :)

When you do allocate the time, I think you'll be satisfied that you did swap the feet. It is a bit of effort though if doing it by yourself like I did. But a smartly placed small box underneath can help. Tilt the speaker enough to place a box tall enough to get the first front & rear pair of feet installed, then use a taller box to do the other side.

Two people working together to place the speaker on its side will make it go much quicker.

And then there's using a motorcycle lift.
ATV-Motorcycle-Lift.jpg

And then there's using a motorcycle lift.
That motorcycle lift looks like a handy gadget all around. I don't suppose it comes cheap though. I once priced out pallet jacks, and they were not conducive to buying just to have around when needed.

Also, to lift a heavy speaker, it looks like some maneuvering is still needed to get under it.

That motorcycle lift looks like a handy gadget all around. I don't suppose it comes cheap though. I once priced out pallet jacks, and they were not conducive to buying just to have around when needed.

Also, to lift a heavy speaker, it looks like some maneuvering is still needed to get under it.
I got the model pictured from a friend who moved out of state and knew he wouldn't need it anymore. I never used it for my Harley Ultra Ltd and I sold the bike a couple years later because all my riding buddies sold theirs, moved out of state, or worse. But I still have the lift and all the memories and Super 8 movies from my grand tours around the Country.

That lift really isn't low enough to use on our speakers, even though those top plates are removable. I just thought it would be, . . . you know, . . . funny.

Since people are expanding their GAIA usage beyond their left/right main speakers, I'm wondering if anyone has tried them on a (floor mounted) center channel speaker? I've got an Illusion C34A center which also comes with spikes. If you aren't familiar with the Illusion, the spikes at the front of the speaker are significantly larger than the spikes at the rear. Currently, it is just sitting on it's factory feet since I'm messing around with other things (pulling a couple of new AC circuits in; turntable arm upgrade; turntable cartridge upgrade; new main and surround amps; repositioning and recabling things; pulling a new active HDMI cable in for the projector: deciding which projector to move to, etc).

When I decided to bring in GAIA I for my Renaissance ESL 15A, I wondered if I should also put GAIA's under my Illusion. Since the factory spikes are two different sizes, I ran them thru the IsoAcoustics Product Selector to see their recommendation, but the Illusion isn't listed. I suppose I could call my dealer and have him check with IsoAcoustics to see if they recommend a single size, or two sizes like the ML spikes. Just seems like if I was going to try them on my 15's... it would make sense to be consistent across my front channels... Of course, it would also make sense to get them installed on my 15's and see what I think before adding them to the center channel. :unsure:

Thoughts??

Since people are expanding their GAIA usage beyond their left/right main speakers, I'm wondering if anyone has tried them on a (floor mounted) center channel speaker? I've got an Illusion C34A center which also comes with spikes. If you aren't familiar with the Illusion, the spikes at the front of the speaker are significantly larger than the spikes at the rear. Currently, it is just sitting on it's factory feet since I'm messing around with other things (pulling a couple of new AC circuits in; turntable arm upgrade; turntable cartridge upgrade; new main and surround amps; repositioning and recabling things; pulling a new active HDMI cable in for the projector: deciding which projector to move to, etc).

When I decided to bring in GAIA I for my Renaissance ESL 15A, I wondered if I should also put GAIA's under my Illusion. Since the factory spikes are two different sizes, I ran them thru the IsoAcoustics Product Selector to see their recommendation, but the Illusion isn't listed. I suppose I could call my dealer and have him check with IsoAcoustics to see if they recommend a single size, or two sizes like the ML spikes. Just seems like if I was going to try them on my 15's... it would make sense to be consistent across my front channels... Of course, it would also make sense to get them installed on my 15's and see what I think before adding them to the center channel. :unsure:

Thoughts??
Contact IsoAcoustics directly via email. They are responsive and would be have the knowledge that you seek, rather than a watered down version with a dealer. The dealers I was in contact with, 3 of them, when I ordered my first set of GAIA feet were not as knowledgable as I'd like. One knew about the Long Thread adapters, but the other 2 dealers needed some schoolin'.

Last edited:
I have them on my Illusion, but I'm on a crawl-space foundation so less energy transferred to the floor is beneficial. If I were you, I'd start with the 15As, then if you appreciate the effect do the C34A next.

It's been awhile since I installed them, but my brother - who's WFH at my place during the pandemic - commented favorably about the system resolution, without specifically being told about the GAIA installation. (They're plainly visible, but if you don't think to look for them it's a "blind" test.)

One added benefit: if your vacuum has a low enough profile you can easily vacuum underneath. I can say from direct experience that a Dyson V15 hard floor attachment clears, though I don't believe the rug attachment will.

I have them on my Illusion, but I'm on a crawl-space foundation so less energy transferred to the floor is beneficial. If I were you, I'd start with the 15As, then if you appreciate the effect do the C34A next.

It's been awhile since I installed them, but my brother - who's WFH at my place during the pandemic - commented favorably about the system resolution, without specifically being told about the GAIA installation. (They're plainly visible, but if you don't think to look for them it's a "blind" test.)

One added benefit: if your vacuum has a low enough profile you can easily vacuum underneath. I can say from direct experience that a Dyson V15 hard floor attachment clears, though I don't believe the rug attachment will.
Which GAIA's did you use on your Illusion, and are the fronts the same as the rears?

I used the IIs, though those might be overkill. I believe the front and rear are the same. I don't recall the thread size needed, but I ordered my Gaia products from Crutchfield of all places, and they had the appropriate special thread inserts.

Edit: if you go through Crutchfield, you have to call for the inserts. They're not on the website, and they may not even be an official inventory item.

I used the IIs, though those might be overkill. I believe the front and rear are the same. I don't recall the thread size needed, but I ordered my Gaia products from Crutchfield of all places, and they had the appropriate special thread inserts.

Edit: if you go through Crutchfield, you have to call for the inserts. They're not on the website, and they may not even be an official inventory item.
And,
Everyone should know that no matter what a dealer might say, the Long Thread adapters are always free. 100% free. No shipping charges either.

Okay, good to know on using the II's. Also, for anyone interested, the threads are 1/4"-20 per the user manual. I did go ahead though and followed ttocs advice advice and sent an email directly to isoAcoustics so we'll see what they actually recommend.

As for Crutchfield... I've used them for miscellaneous stuff over the years, but I wouldn't say I have an actual relationship with them (not that I really need one when I just need to tell them exactly what to order though). For this kind of stuff, I almost always go to Music Direct. I have a great relationship with one of their reps that has worked out very well. He chases down things like this with the manufacturers, plus... he offers good (and sometimes, great) pricing and most things I need are in stock so I have them in a day or two. I'm sure everyone has their favorite dealer, but I couldn't be any happier with my guy at Music Direct...

I used the IIs, though those might be overkill. I believe the front and rear are the same.
FWIW, I heard back from IsoAcoustics last night about GAIA's under an Illusion, and one size, or two sizes, etc...

'That's a very interesting case and though I personally have not seen the GAIA be used with the Illusion, I have no doubt that they would work just fine. In this situation I would stick to one GAIA model, being the GAIA II, and install them where the spikes had been just as you would with any other speaker!'

While not a super convincing response, at least they confirm your choice of the GAIA II. Not quite sure what I'll do on this, but as I said before, I really need to see what GAIA's do under my ESL-15's before I do anything...

From what I recall, the Gaia's have three versions, 1, 2 & 3 if I'm correct or maybe this has changed...
Anyway, the versions are not in order of superior performance, rather they're based on the total weight of the speakers they're intended to support. The Gaia II's can support upto 55kg or 60kg I think, so most speakers within the ML line will fall under this weight category. I can't remember the weight of the Ren15a's but if they're over 60kg or above then you need to use a different version of the Gaia's.

There won't be huge improvements, and killer this and out of the park that... those kind of statements are very vague and means nothing.

What the Gaia's will do is:
1. Reduce vibrations to a large extent.
2. A proper working isolation mechanism with a well designed mechanical structure that is solid! Top quality.
3. It will allow more of the music to flow from your speakers, delivering more definition, focus and most of all greater transparency that ML stats are well capable of.

I sincerely believe that the Gaia's are one of those special accessories that do a fantastic job, and they do it so well that the differences are audible, not some voodoo or magic. It's real! If you can't hear the difference then that means your system has reached its full potential and such accessories are rendered useless... which I doubt. So I'm sure you'll be able to ascertain the difference between these and the standard spikes.

All the best, and let us know your findings.
Cheers, RJ

Does anyone know how long the "long" adapters are for use on the 15As? When my 15As are delivered, I'm considering putting them on casters for a couple weeks while I break them in and work on finding the best position for them before installing the Gaia 1 feet. (I have back problems, so moving a 140 lb speaker is possible, but will put me in a lot of pain for a couple weeks.)

The 15A manual specs 3/8"-16 studs. Casters are available with that spec, but only up to 1.5" long. Alternatively, I can buy a caster with a female set of threads on top and install any stud I'd like, if I need something longer.

I figured I'd post here and see if anyone knows the answers, with "Plan B" to call Isoacoustics and get the spec on their long studs.

Back