upgrade rear speakers, question?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jgarbs

I’ve had my ML for 8-9 month now and been loving every second but like everyone else on this site always looking to upgrade. I currently have a pair of Tickets on the ceiling above the main seating. I’m thinking of taking the tickets out and upgrading the rears to a pair of Scrip I on the back wall. My speaker set up is 5.1.
Will I hear a dramatic difference by upgrading the rears? Will I get my monies worth?

I’m currently running the Tickets, Vantage, and Stage on an Anthem A5 amp. Will this amp be fine to run the Scrip I with the Stage, and Vantage?

I would love to leave the Tickets in the ceiling and get the Scrip I to upgrade to a 7.1 set up. However, I believe I do not have enough room for this set up. Tickets are in the ceiling above the main seating and I would place the Scrip I on the back wall. The back wall is only 3-4 feet away from the Tickets but Scrip I would be about 5 feet lower.
I was told that it would not make sense to have a 7.1 set up and use my funds for other thing I would like done. Is there a rule of thumb for distance between sides and rears for 7.1 set up?

There is a picture of my room under members system #147.

Is there a rule of thumb for distance between sides and rears for 7.1 set up?

There is a picture of my room under members system #147.

Ideally you would sit an equal distance from ALL speakers in the system, rarely is that practical however.

Also technically if you are doing a 5.X system the "rear" speakers are really beside you and maybe just a TOUCH behind, the "rear surround" channel in a 7.X system would be directly behind you...

I would think in a 5.X system an upgrade from tickets to Script would be VERY OBVIOUS. I think Scripts are probably a bit of overkill as rear surround in a 7.X system...that is what I have and I just don't feel like I get much out of the scripts in HT mode. If I am listening to some CD's and playing the 7 channel stereo mode that the Rotel has then ALL the speakers are rocking. While it is not like being at a concert it is a REALLY COOL effect and really lets ALL your speakers come out and play!

YMMV.

Back