Upgrade question?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylode

Reaction score
Currently I have a McIntosh 119/207 driving Ascent I’s, Fresco rears, and theater center. I am very happy with this arrangement for HT; however, like everyone else I’m looking to improve the sound. (Should’ve never listened to those summits!) I’d like to replace my Ascent’s with summits then add two mono bridged MC275s giving me 150 Watts per channel for dedicated 2 channel listening. I would also be adding a turntable to the mix. This upgrade won’t likely occur until next year; however, the turntable may come sooner. Now that I’ve described what I’d like to do I’m not sure how or even if I can. I want to keep my 119/207 for HT and add the MC275’s for 2 channel listening using the 119 pre/pro for both scenarios? Is that possible and, if so, how? I don’t have the luxury of setting up a standalone two-channel system – no space. Am I just crazy? :confused:

Just an opinion - you might get away with 1 Mac 275. Summits are not that power-hungry.

aliveatfive said:
Just an opinion - you might get away with 1 Mac 275. Summits are not that power-hungry.

If one would do the job that would be great -- less $$. Even better if i could find a dealer that carries both mac & ML. :D

Not so fast...

taylode said:
If one would do the job that would be great -- less $$. Even better if i could find a dealer that carries both mac & ML. :D
But if you're talking about having a turn-table, you should invest in a hiqh-quality pre-amp for dedicated 2-channel listenning.

Spike

Spike said:
But if you're talking about having a turn-table, you should invest in a hiqh-quality pre-amp for dedicated 2-channel listenning.

Spike

Do you think I need another pre since the 119 will do true 2 channel without any signal processing?

Aliveatfive is correct. 1 Mac 275 is plenty of power for Summits.

Craig said:
Aliveatfive is correct. 1 Mac 275 is plenty of power for Summits.

Well that's good news! :D Maybe I'll get the amp before the summits. Still a project for next year. :(

Back