Upgrade Cremonas to Summits???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Up until a year ago I had a pair of Odysseys but decided they were just too large for my living room so I traded them in on a pair of Sonus Faber Cremonas. I've been happy with Cremonas and love the quality cabinetry and sound. To me they are some of the best dynamic speakers I've heard.

However, I have an opportunity to upgrade the Cremonas for a pair of Summits and receive full credit that I paid for the Cremonas. A great deal since that is more than I could get for them on Audiogon. Since I bought them at Sound Advice I have this option but my time to decide is running out. I have until Jan 5, 2006 to take advantage of the deal. After that, the deal turns into a pumpkin.

I'd be happy with the Vantage but I can't trade in on those because they cost less than the value of the Cremonas. I've heard the Vantage and like those but I haven't been able to see the Summits let alone hear them. From what I've read they are about the size of Ascents or maybe a little smaller. I'm sure they sound awesome.

I'm good with Electronics. I use all Electrocompaniet with 220w dual mono amps. I also have a vinyl rig consisting of a VPI Scout and a ASL Mini Phono tube amp.

What would you do? Would you give up the Cremonas and pay an additional $3K for the Summits?

Craig said:
Up until a year ago I had a pair of Odysseys but decided they were just too large for my living room so I traded them in on a pair of Sonus Faber Cremonas. I've been happy with Cremonas and love the quality cabinetry and sound. To me they are some of the best dynamic speakers I've heard.

However, I have an opportunity to upgrade the Cremonas for a pair of Summits and receive full credit that I paid for the Cremonas. A great deal since that is more than I could get for them on Audiogon. Since I bought them at Sound Advice I have this option but my time to decide is running out. I have until Jan 5, 2006 to take advantage of the deal. After that, the deal turns into a pumpkin.

I'd be happy with the Vantage but I can't trade in on those because they cost less than the value of the Cremonas. I've heard the Vantage and like those but I haven't been able to see the Summits let alone hear them. From what I've read they are about the size of Ascents or maybe a little smaller. I'm sure they sound awesome.

I'm good with Electronics. I use all Electrocompaniet with 220w dual mono amps. I also have a vinyl rig consisting of a VPI Scout and a ASL Mini Phono tube amp.

What would you do? Would you give up the Cremonas and pay an additional $3K for the Summits?
Hola. If I were you, I will "trust my ears" and get or keep the one that I like most. Sound depends on your liking, not specs!. Of course, most of us are here at this forum, because we love the sound of ML. To my ears, the new Summits are so dinamic as any good cone speaker with all the super benefits of the electrostatic sound. Me, if I had the money in my pocket, will do it without any dude. 3K for a pair of Summits is nothing compare of all what you are going to get with them. You allredy spent 7K money for the others, so that money does not count...is your investment. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Summits are considerably smaller than my old Ascents. I couldn't deal with the size of the Prodigies, but the Summits fit perfectly. Their sound will literally knock you on your ear, IMHO.

"Trust Your Ears"

roberto said:
Hola. If I were you, I will "trust my ears" and get or keep the one that I like most. Sound depends on your liking, not specs!. Of course, most of us are here at this forum, because we love the sound of ML. To my ears, the new Summits are so dinamic as any good cone speaker with all the super benefits of the electrostatic sound. Me, if I had the money in my pocket, will do it without any dude. 3K for a pair of Summits is nothing compare of all what you are going to get with them. You allredy spent 7K money for the others, so that money does not count...is your investment. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.
Craig,

I agree with Roberto... :)
But, I would add, try to audition the Summits first, see if you can take them home for a trail in your own home with your equipment. If that is not possible, IMHO I think you should listen to the Summits very carefully, before desiding. 3K is 3k and a lot of money... ;) My best advice I can give you is to "Trust Your Ears". What ever you deside your has to sound good to you that's really what counts.

HTH

Cheers

-Robin

Craig said:

I recently got Summits (after living happily with Ascenti's). If you like the ML sound and want outstanding imaging and well integrated bass, the Summits will make you happy. I have not heard the Vantage. The main difference is in the bass module (where the Summits shine). I would suggest, if possible, that you listen with your electronics (either at dealer's or home). I am not that familiar with the Electrocompaniet amps but if they were able to drive the Prodigies, you should have no trouble with the Summits since the subwoofer is already powered.

I'm sure the Electrocompaniets would have no trouble driving the Summits or Vantage. I've had them hooked up to my Ascents and they worked very well. I'm going to put the Ascents back on the Electrocompaniet amps to listen to that for a while to get back into the ML sound for a change. They put out 220w at 8 ohms but they don't double down at 4 ohms. Still they are impressive and very warm sounding. I hate to use the "they sound like tubes" analogy but they do.

I don't have the option of taking a pair home for a trial run. However, if I was really dissatisfied I don't think I would have any problem returning them within 60 days of purchase.

I really like the fact that the bass is very controllable on the Summits and on the Vantage (however more limited on the Vantage).

I have heard the Summits - and they are the speaker to beat in my book. From what I've heard, the Summits have the most open sound, the most clean transparent feel to each of the notes, the best extension without becoming sibilant, the best reproduction of my demo cd by far.

I havent heard the Cremonas (I had the Concerto and Concertinos at one point) and they do look very beautiful... I've always wanted to try one out and/or have a pair (whichever is easier :D ). The Cremonas sound good - no doubt.

You will have to listen for yourself, buddy. If possible, bring both speakers to the dealer and A/B... this way, if you decide on the Summits, you can just leave the Cremonas there and make off with the Summits.

Would I give up the Cremonas and trade up to Summits? Well I haven't heard the Summits but if it's a better ML than the ones I'm familiar with, then it would be an opportunity I would not pass up.

I'm familiar with Cremonas and varioius other SF models. They can be seductive, however I personally find that their appeal does not hold up over time. There's something in their sound that makes them great at first listen but I find them boring after some time. But that's me.

Will your amps work well with the Summits? There's only one way to find out of course. However I would change amps to suit the speakers rather than the other way around. Again, that's just me.

Happy decision making!

jfm said:
Would I give up the Cremonas and trade up to Summits? Well I haven't heard the Summits but if it's a better ML than the ones I'm familiar with, then it would be an opportunity I would not pass up.

I'm familiar with Cremonas and varioius other SF models. They can be seductive, however I personally find that their appeal does not hold up over time. There's something in their sound that makes them great at first listen but I find them boring after some time. But that's me.

Will your amps work well with the Summits? There's only one way to find out of course. However I would change amps to suit the speakers rather than the other way around. Again, that's just me.

Happy decision making!

That one statement made me think of a girlfriend I once had... :eek:

I decided that I'm going to do it. I listened to a 3rd Vantage/Krell SACD with the 400Xi setup and that confirmed it for me. By 3rd I mean this is the 3rd Sound Advice store I've been to with the same setup. The sound of the Vantage is definitely an improvement over the Cremonas. However, the Cremonas are still better looking. The craftsmanship on the cabinetry work of the Cremonas is typical "fine Italian work". I'll certainly miss that. Fine cabinetry is the only aspect of the new ML line that I think ML should have put more effort into. But then sound quality is and should be the first priority with audio equipment.

Tonight I was able to walk into a Sound Advice store and go into their top of the line room and audition the standard Krell/ML setup without anyone interupting including a salesman. I found a source of CDs in the room and did my own demo of the speakers to include adjusting the bass control on the speakers. I was definitely impressed with the Vantage. Not only did they produce a detailed, wide and deep soundstage but they also had very tight and robust bass which can be adjusted to suit your taste and/or room acoustics. The speakers were a little close to the wall for my taste but they still performed very well. It was hard to imagine the Summits performing better.

So I decided to take advantage of the upgrade option and trade in my Cremonas for a pair of Summits. I'm very lucky to have a wife that says "go for it".

Go for it. You will be happy with the trade. We bought a pair of Summits for our HT/music room. We auditioned Cremonas at that time. When I walked into the store I did not even know about Martin logan brand. I did not even know about electrostatic speakers ( that tells you right there that I am completely unbiased). After searching and listening to several high end speakers. Summits were really at the summit of our list. We boought them and we are extremely happy with them. They are serving us great both for music and movies.

Craig said:
Fine cabinetry is the only aspect of the new ML line that I think ML should have put more effort into. But then sound quality is and should be the first priority with audio equipment.

Yet... I think that ML has improved their design tremendously in this generation of ESL speakers. Of course... not at the level of them Italian Sonus Fabers! Just thinking of the SF Stradivarius gives me chills!

Last edited:
Craig said:
I decided that I'm going to do it. I listened to a 3rd Vantage/Krell SACD with the 400Xi setup and that confirmed it for me. By 3rd I mean this is the 3rd Sound Advice store I've been to with the same setup. The sound of the Vantage is definitely an improvement over the Cremonas. However, the Cremonas are still better looking. The craftsmanship on the cabinetry work of the Cremonas is typical "fine Italian work". I'll certainly miss that. Fine cabinetry is the only aspect of the new ML line that I think ML should have put more effort into. But then sound quality is and should be the first priority with audio equipment.

Tonight I was able to walk into a Sound Advice store and go into their top of the line room and audition the standard Krell/ML setup without anyone interupting including a salesman. I found a source of CDs in the room and did my own demo of the speakers to include adjusting the bass control on the speakers. I was definitely impressed with the Vantage. Not only did they produce a detailed, wide and deep soundstage but they also had very tight and robust bass which can be adjusted to suit your taste and/or room acoustics. The speakers were a little close to the wall for my taste but they still performed very well. It was hard to imagine the Summits performing better.

So I decided to take advantage of the upgrade option and trade in my Cremonas for a pair of Summits. I'm very lucky to have a wife that says "go for it".

BTW, let us know how you like the Summits and make sure to take many pics and post in the gallery! :D

Well I did it. I ordered the Summits and I'm trading in my Cremonas to help significantly with the financing. It was a deal I just couldn't pass up. I would have settled on a pair of Vantages but I couldn't do the trade in deal with those so I went for the Summits. They didn't have any in stock so I had to order a pair and it will probably take 3 weeks to get here. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.

Craig -

It's gonna be a long 3 weeks! But then again, I had to wait about 2 months for mine. Have no fear - they're worth it! Good luck and good listening.

Super awesome, Craig!

Be sure to post impressions and pics here!

Oh.. and I wouldnt mind pics of the Cremonas either... ;) !

I'll post the new Summit system when it's all up and running. For now, I'll post pics of the Cremonas when I get home tonight.

Here are the pics you asked for. I have the Cremonas in the bedroom on the tubes until they go back into their boxes. The Ascents are now plugged into the Electrocompaniet system and sound nice. Of course the Summits should be even better (duh!).

Attachments

• Electro Cremonas.JPG
    Electro Cremonas.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 122
  • XMas Deco Ascents2.JPG
    XMas Deco Ascents2.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 259
That Cremona is one BEAUTIFUL speaker! I can only imagine what the Stradivarius would look like.

Back