Universal Players with "Analog" Bass Mgmt

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcal

Reaction score
Hi,

Also submitted a post on subs (Descent i). I'm a newbie to the site, just saw it on the web for the first time over the weekend via a Google search. Similar to comments made by another newbie, Titanium Troy from South Bend, IN (my condolences about the non-Fightin' Irish this year), this is a great site with super interaction amongst folks.

My question is are there any universal players (DVD-A & SACD + DVD-V, CD) with "analog" bass management? To clarify, the capability to route 2-ch SACD & DVD-A to the front L&R and the sub. I included DVD-A as many of Neil Young's disks are Advanced Resolution Stereo only.

I will also be purchasing the Descent i sub in the next few weeks (other thread).

I have a Marantz DV9600 that is still returnable (demo unit that didn't have a remote, have 30 days to return the unit after receipt of remote-ETA eoSep). The manual clearly states that the 2-ch high rez audio formats cannot be routed to the sub. The Marantz has i-LINK outputs but the Parasound AVC-2500 preceded this format.

If there aren't universal players with "analog" bass mgmt, the alternatives would be (as far as I can tell):

1. Purchase a new A/V controller (or receiver) with i-LINK capability
Do the bass mgmt in the controller, ala DVD-V&DTS/DVD-V&DD/DTS audio only. I just did >$1K of upgrades to the Parasound AVC-2500 (HD bandwidth video & 5.1 analog bypass) so I'm not too excited about "wasting" the $$ as it's unlikely I could recoup the $$ by selling it. I got depressed checking the resale prices on eBay. I might have been able to purchase the upgraded AVC-2500 cheaper than paying Parasound for the upgrades! I'm not looking fwd to this option as the boss will be very unhappy....

2. Purchase the Outlaw Audio ICBM
Anybody using this? if yes, do you like it, hate it,.... Definitely more cost effective but does it degrade the sound? Very boss friendly...no authorization required!

3. Purchase separate SACD & DVD-A players that have "analog" bass mgmt
Prefer a universal player due to space issues. Could free up space by retiring the Pioneer LD. May cost more than than a full-function universal player but I could sell this with the boss....

I've read on the web the high-end Sony SACD players have "analog" bass mgmt. I went to the Sony website and read the DVP-NS9100ES/B manual and it's not obvious to me it supports 2-ch SACD bass to the sub. Geez, too many cryptic users manuals. I'm a EE and even I have a hard time understanding some of them. Seems that many are written by folks who are ESL though admittedly their english is orders of magnitude better than my japanese.

Does anybody know of SACD and DVD-A players that support "analog" bass mgmt?

4. Purchase full-range speakers for the front
Would love to but truly space constrained as there's not enough space for floor-standing speakers in the family room. The least practical of the 4 options. I have a pair of Apogee Centaur Majors in the living room (sorry, not MLs but they are planar hybrids!) but there's no space to relocate them. Totally out of the question with the boss....

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Regards,
Fred Luna

EQUIPMENT
Sonus faber Concertos (front & rear speakers)
Sonus faber Solo (center speaker)
Parasound AVC-2500 A/V controller w/ HD component video & 5.1 analog audio bypass upgrades
Parasound HCA-2205A 5-ch amp

Apogee Centaur Major (zone2 speakers)
Linn LK100 (zone2 2-ch amp)
Linn Kairn preamp (currently boxed)

Marantz DV9600 Universal Player (DVD-V, DVD-A & SACD)
Nakamichi CD Player1 (used as a transport only)
Pioneer CLD-702 laserdisc pplayer
Kenwood KD-500 tt, Infinity Black Widow tone-arm, Roksan Corus cartridge
Tivo SeriesIII HD Digital Media Recorder
Comcast HD Cable Box
Panasonic CT-34WX50 HDTV

Fred, the Outlaw ICBM totally rocks! I have owned mine for several years and use it in a ML based surround sound system with a Lexicon RT-10 ran from the 5.1 analog outs into a Myryad MDP500G6 then to the ICBM then into a Proceed Amp 5 into Aeons/Scenarios/Logos/Descent. This thing sounds so good I do not even use the processor part of the Myryad-just run everything thru the straight through analog bypass. When it glitched up 3 years ago I called Outlaw and spoke to a REAL PERSON who helped me fix the problem (unplug it for a minute-DUH!). The only downside of this unit is the need for extra analog interconnects. Use the best ones you can afford-this thing is transparent enough to reveal the difference. You already have great gear-it is time you actually hear it! The best $250 I ever spent! I listen to CD/DVD/DVDA and SACD-surround or stereo all good all the tme.

Last edited:
Hi TonyC,

Many thanks for the info on the Outlaw ICBM. Glad to hear that it's transparent and you like it. A more affordable alternative than replacing the A/V controller or buying multiple players. The ICBM will enable me to keep the Marantz DV9600 universal player. At some point, I'll purchase a universal HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player when they work the kinks out (typ by the 3rd gen). At that point, I'll retire the Pioneer LD as I'll need the space.

Cheers,
Fred

Heh, understand about the LD thing, I have a Pioneer Elite CLD-97 in my rack looking pretty, but not spiining much content in this HD era...

I had an ICBM (now at a family members place) and found it quite transparent, and definelty a step up from no bass-management.

I had to graduate to a more complex setup, as described here.

But for your situation, I'd say the ICBM should be a good solution until newer pre-pro's or players come out.

Back