Universal player ideas

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB300 said:
Nothing but good things stated about APL products....But.... APL use to be notorious for very very very long delivery times, lack of response to clients via email or phone calls, etc. etc. Has this changed any? Old habits and old "labels" are hard to change especially in this business.
Yes, things have changed for the better at APL. There's a full-time person dedicated to customer service, leaving Alex to focus on the technical aspect of APL which is what he does best. Alex has also reduced his product offerings in order to keep his business more focused. Follow this link to the APL HiFi forum and read for yourself.

Spike

Esoteric

I know I'm biased, but I'm a big fan of the Esoteric equipment as an owner of the DV-50S. Absolutely the best transport in the business, and incredible DAC's too. Music Direct is selling off remaining stock of the DV-50S for $3900.00 and 9 month zero interest financing.

Here's a picture of the Esoteric transport next to a stack of Phillips, Denon and Pioneer transports. Enough said?

Attachments

• Esoteric.jpg
    Esoteric.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 235
APL'ed Esoteric anyone?

If you like the Esoteric DV-50S, wait 'til you get a listen to the cost-no-object APL NWO-1 which is essentially a re-engineered Esoteric UX-1 :D

Spike

As an owner I cannot currently recommend the 137. Arcam will be releasing the firmware update v3.0 very soon. It is expected to fix all issues. When it works the Arcam is a great SACD (stereo) player. Video quality into a native 1080p display is superb. Redbook CD playback is improved compared to the Denon 2910 but not as much as I expected. But I gave up on the 137 until its replacement arrives because, most of the time, it just does not work.

IWalker said:
What about the Arcam DV137? Don't know much about them, but have always been very impressed with their products. I think I heard that they had some firmware problems at launch...but most of them are probably sorted out by now...

MiTT said:
I know I'm biased, but I'm a big fan of the Esoteric equipment as an owner of the DV-50S. Absolutely the best transport in the business, and incredible DAC's too. Music Direct is selling off remaining stock of the DV-50S for $3900.00 and 9 month zero interest financing.

Here's a picture of the Esoteric transport next to a stack of Phillips, Denon and Pioneer transports. Enough said?

Hi Tim, At that price point it sounds like one mighty fine deal. Dan (DTB300) and I had conversation today and I brought up that unit but pretty much wrote it off given it's msrp was way out of my budget. I did have conversation also today with Dan @ Modwright and a modded Sony or Denon seems quite tempting as well.

Will the update to the Arcam 137 include multichannel capablility on SACD?

Spike said:
If you like the Esoteric DV-50S, wait 'til you get a listen to the cost-no-object APL NWO-1 which is essentially a re-engineered Esoteric UX-1 :D

Spike
Yes, I can only imagine. The photo I posted is actually from the APL website. Been researching universal players for quite some time. When the price reduction on the DV-50S came along I got it in anticipation of someday sending it along to APL for the mods. I'll probably get around to it next year. :rolleyes:

The new firmware for the 137 is suppose to reinstate mulitchannel SACD.

I know several of you had high praises for the Denon line of universal players, well a friend had me over to audition his newly completed Home theatre ( beautifull, retracting screen into the ceiling, drapes that draw from the sides, etc) His Sharp projector was being driven by a Denon DVD 1920. I thought it did a great job, factor in the street price is less than $300, I know it's $100 more than the Oppo but I have read some not so flattering reports on the Oppo's audio ability. Even though the Denon is near the bottom of the rung I wonder if down the road Modwright would offer mods for this one ???

Back