UK British Masterpiece owners...ESL 11a, 13a, 15a

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matty, I'm in the U.S. and planning on purchasing a pair of the 13A's. Have you been enjoying them?

Hi Ejspain,

Won't get to enjoy mine until October when I move back to my apartment in London.
Am currently working in Pokhara Nepal.

I recently bought Gaia ii isolating feet for my 13a's and am deciding which amp and dac to buy.

So far the winning choices for amp are Vitus 101 mkii or Mcintosh MA9000.
For dacs... Holo spring 3 level 2 or 3 or the Holo May level 3 kte or Lumin T2 or Matrix x Sabre pro.

The reason I decided on buying the 13a's was I was very sure of what I wanted.
Which is big wide-open soundstage and micro-detail without any loss of weight or bass.
I have used my headphones Sennheiser HD800s every day for 5 years and was looking to replicate that sound with speakers... a difficult task.
I test listened to Dutch and Dutch and Kii thinking that would be the answer plus a load of others including Wilson Tune Tots...nothing came even close.

As soon as I sat in the sweet spot area an listened to the 13a's, I recognised the sound I was looking for.
I had two separate session days listening in a London shops test room and another day in a different shop listening to the 11a's. The 11a's had the same sound yet the 13a's had more effortless weight and somehow bigger detail....and felt more complete. Saying that I would have been happy with the 11a's.
However the 13a's were a demo pair at a great price and there was no question they sound better.
They sound end game.
Am very happy with the choice of the 13a's.

If you know the kind of sound you're looking for and electrostatics have that sound...I don't think you can go wrong with the 13a's. I am sure you have researched in detail like I did.

What's your story and what are your options?

Matt

Hi Ejspain,

Won't get to enjoy mine until October when I move back to my apartment in London.
Am currently working in Pokhara Nepal.

I recently bought Gaia ii isolating feet for my 13a's and am deciding which amp and dac to buy.

So far the winning choices for amp are Vitus 101 mkii or Mcintosh MA9000.
For dacs... Holo spring 3 level 2 or 3 or the Holo May level 3 kte or Lumin T2 or Matrix x Sabre pro.

The reason I decided on buying the 13a's was I was very sure of what I wanted.
Which is big wide-open soundstage and micro-detail without any loss of weight or bass.
I have used my headphones Sennheiser HD800s every day for 5 years and was looking to replicate that sound with speakers... a difficult task.
I test listened to Dutch and Dutch and Kii thinking that would be the answer plus a load of others including Wilson Tune Tots...nothing came even close.

As soon as I sat in the sweet spot area an listened to the 13a's, I recognised the sound I was looking for.
I had two separate session days listening in a London shops test room and another day in a different shop listening to the 11a's. The 11a's had the same sound yet the 13a's had more effortless weight and somehow bigger detail....and felt more complete. Saying that I would have been happy with the 11a's.
However the 13a's were a demo pair at a great price and there was no question they sound better.
They sound end game.
Am very happy with the choice of the 13a's.

If you know the kind of sound you're looking for and electrostatics have that sound...I don't think you can go wrong with the 13a's. I am sure you have researched in detail like I did.

What's your story and what are your options?

Matt
Hey Matt, well I finally got a chance to visit a showroom that had a pair of 11A's and I must admit I was VERY impressed but not at all surprised with the beautiful sound of these babies. I've owned my Aeon i's for 20 years and they still sound great BUT it's also taken this long to convince my wife it's time to upgrade. At this point any ML would do but after listening to the 11A's, they are truly leaps and bounds ahead of my Aeon i's....and if I'm going to upgrade, I feel I need to go high as I can in hopes to never have to do it again. From a sonic perspective I could easily get away with the 11A's in my dedicated home theater (18'D x 15'W x 10'H) but I'm also a bass-head so going with the 13A's, and pairing them with my 2 ML 1100X Subs would really make my HT shine. Plus I'd really be able to enjoy 2-channel music without settling for the lean bass from my 20 year old Aeon i's. I'm excited. Will definitely keep the forum abreast of my upgrade.

I agree...upgrade as high as possible and do it once... which I think is easier if you know and are sure as to what you like and are looking for with the sound...which you clearly do.
My room is almost the same as yours, just speakers facing the other axis... 17'4"W x 15'7"D x 10'H.
Interesting you plan, and as many others do, to use ML Subs with the Masterpiece series 11a,13a 15a's.
I felt there was full rich sculptured and textured bass with both the 11a and 13a, with out any need for separate subs... that was part of the draw.
You all must be serious party heads...!
Rockers and Ravers...!

What amp set up you thinking to use?

I agree...upgrade as high as possible and do it once... which I think is easier if you know and are sure as to what you like and are looking for with the sound...which you clearly do.
My room is almost the same as yours, just speakers facing the other axis... 17'4"W x 15'7"D x 10'H.
Interesting you plan, and as many others do, to use ML Subs with the Masterpiece series 11a,13a 15a's.
I felt there was full rich sculptured and textured bass with both the 11a and 13a, with out any need for separate subs... that was part of the draw.
You all must be serious party heads...!
Rockers and Ravers...!

What amp set up you thinking to use?
You're correct...I too think the 11s and 13s have plenty bass, which will be very nice when listening to 2 channel music. I only kick on the subs when watching movies. Currently I have the Aeon i's bi-amp through a Marantz MM7055 AMP, Marantz SR6015 Receiver using Cardas interconnects and Mogami speaker cable.

Any UK owners on here...?
I just bought a pair of 13a....
Yep. Plenty of us around. I bought a pair of Aerius i s in 2001 and never looked back. I had to relegate them to our music room for some years, as they really didn't get on with the Linn amps in my living room HT system. But this summer, I switched to an Arcam processor, plus Michell Monobloc amps and the sound was so reinvigorated that I went out and p/x'd the Aerius for a pair of Spires, which took things to a whole new level. Now putting much effort in to taming our living room acoustics…

I haven't listened to the 11A or 13A speakers - would look forward to doing so, but failing to see just what magnitude of improvement they'd offer over the Spires.

Back