Two types of maple trims?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I noticed that there are two types of maple trims... or are there?

Here is what I'm talking about:

The older Maple trim:
DS_MA_1.jpg

The newer Maple trim:

SU_MABA_1.jpg

VA_MABA_1.jpg

Notice the background? The older ones are grainy while the newer ones look more shimmery. I hope my maple Vantages come like the new ones are... I dont really like the older maple trim.

I guess I'm just trying to match my previous speakers:
speakers_23_1.jpg

Last edited:
Just to show you that I'm not crazy, here are the older vs newer natural cherry trims:
Older Natural Cherry:
AE_NC_1.jpg

Newer Natural Cherry:
VA_NCBA_1.jpg

Same thing... the older one has grains whereas the newer ones dont...

Has anyone seen the newer Maple Summit/Vantage and confirm what they look like? I'm only going by pics...

I'll give ML a call on monday, too.

The old speakers had real wood panels and the new speakers have real wood veneers.

Last edited:
I just hope my Vantage maple is not as light as the older maple panels...

Here you go Joey, Maple trim, the real deal.

Attachments

• mr_hifi_002.jpg
    mr_hifi_002.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Keep in mind that every tree is unique in color and grain. While ML is very good at matching color and grain for each pair of speakers, natural wood differs in color shadings tree to tree so your pair may be darker or lighter, have more or less grain than you ideally would want.

attyonline said:
Keep in mind that every tree is unique in color and grain. While ML is very good at matching color and grain for each pair of speakers, natural wood differs in color shadings tree to tree so your pair may be darker or lighter, have more or less grain than you ideally would want.

Not only is there variation in grain with identical hardwoods, the angle at which the piece is cut will also determine the "figuring" of the wood. Joe is right regarding hardwood verses veneer. Veneers are almost all quarter sawn which really makes the figuring pop out. You will also waste more material in trying to maximize the figuring. I personally prefer heavily figured woods. If ML offered a spalted maple finish, that would really make it look like furniture.

Vantage Maple Finish...

Joey_V said:
I just hope my Vantage maple is not as light as the older maple panels...
Joey,

IMHO, If you think it is not too late, I believe you should call ML, talk with Jim Power about your Maple Vantages. See if they can finish your Maples Vantages a bit darker. I believe ML would respond positively to your reasonable request, especially if you pointed out your concerns of the older maple trim being too light. I do not think it would cost you any more money and you could get the finish you desire. It couldn't hurt to ask... ;)

Robin,

I'm going to give Jim a call tomorrow....

I was hoping the maple looked like this - very shimmery and has figuring.

MartinLogSummit.jpg

Maybe Bird's eye maple?

Joe,

Are you sure that's maple? I thought that was natural cherry? Yet, that still looks awesome!

Last edited:
I want this maple... I'm gonna call ML to see what they can conjure up...

This is bird's eye maple:
784dsc00012.jpg

Joey_V said:
Joe,

Are you sure that's maple? I thought that was natural cherry? Yet, that still looks awesome!

My bad, I think your right. Its a very light cherry, or may be a dark Maple. Sorry my monitor at home sucks.

Birds Eye Maple is very cool...

Joey_V said:
Robin,

I'm going to give Jim a call tomorrow....

I was hoping the maple looked like this - very shimmery and has figuring.

MartinLogSummit.jpg

Maybe Bird's eye maple?
Joey,

Personally, I love "Birds Eye" maple. It is one of my very favorite hard woods. Vantages actually made in Birds Eye maple would be totally unique, not to mention extremely beautiful, IMHO.

I paid for all of over $400.00 for Bird's Eye maple hard wood, so my yougest son could make a computer writting desk for his junior year wood shop project. It looked so cool, the wood shop teacher entered his desk in the Napa County Fair and my son won a prize for his efforts. The desk is a conversation piece not to mention a gorgous computer / writing desk. I'll see if we have a digital photo of his amazing Birds Eye maple desk to show you.

I believe ML could accomidate your Birds Eye maple request, but I fear Birds Eye maple would probably cost more money, but then again it couldn't hurt to ask ML... ;)

Called ML...

Birds Eye Maple - $500 upcharge (yikes!)

As for the Maple, they're gonna send me a "real" picture of the Vantage in maple. I also requested a "real" picture of the Natural Cherry Vantage from their factory floor. I called my dealer and I had him put a hold on my Maple order as I'm trying to decide at the moment. I just thought that the trim browser maple is a little deceiving and ML agreed with me (they want to change it since they said it isnt that dark nor "flamey").

I'm gonna wait a few hours for the pics to be sent and I'll post them here.

Joey

And the search for the perfect Vantage continues... (tum tum tum)...... ;)

Joey's maple Vantage quest...

Joey_V said:
Called ML...

Birds Eye Maple - $500 upcharge (yikes!)

As for the Maple, they're gonna send me a "real" picture of the Vantage in maple. I also requested a "real" picture of the Natural Cherry Vantage from their factory floor. I called my dealer and I had him put a hold on my Maple order as I'm trying to decide at the moment. I just thought that the trim browser maple is a little deceiving and ML agreed with me (they want to change it since they said it isnt that dark nor "flamey").

I'm gonna wait a few hours for the pics to be sent and I'll post them here.

Joey

And the search for the perfect Vantage continues... (tum tum tum)...... ;)
Joey,

I think I'm (we) are getting almost as excited as you, only because you have been keeping all of us in the loop, with your maple Vantage experiences. It's great! I feel like I'm (we) are going through the process with you step by step a feeling of inclusion, which is good... :D
I can't wait to see what ML sends you.
I sorry the Birds Eye is too pricey. It is nice to know ML could manufacture the Vantage in Birds Eye maple if they whated to. It realy would be something to see though a Vantage in Birds Eye maple though Wow... :D

Thanks again Joey... :D

Last edited:
MartinLogSummit.jpg

What you see is the Vantage in Birds Eye Maple... according to Brian at ML. I figured, what the heck.... so I put in my order of the BEM Vantage. It will take about 1 month to get here... so I guess I'll play the waiting game.

I will have to return my Dark Cherry Vantage soon.... sometime next week. So it will be a sad departure from the great sound that I'm now accustomed to.

BEM Vantage is too cool...

Joey_V said:
MartinLogSummit.jpg

What you see is the Vantage in Birds Eye Maple... according to Brian at ML. I figured, what the heck.... so I put in my order of the BEM Vantage. It will take about 1 month to get here... so I guess I'll play the waiting game.

I will have to return my Dark Cherry Vantage soon.... sometime next week. So it will be a sad departure from the great sound that I'm now accustomed to.
Joey,

Wow, I looks fantastic! I know it was a lot more money but from the photo, it sure will be worth it... :D Now I want one, well I'm glad one of us has a BEM Vantage anyway. From the photo it looks like ML has access to some very high quality BEM. As you may know BEM varies in quality quite a bit. It is nice to know ML uses only the very best quality pieces / cuts of BEM. BEM looks so elegant and classy, IMHO. I'm totally envious now Joey. You promise to post some more photos when your BEM Vantages arrive, please... And thanks for showing us an actual ML BEM Vantage, as I had never seen one before, the photo looks great. It is exciting, I don't know how you are going to wait for a whole month though, Joey... :D

Robin said:
Joey,
It is exciting, I don't know how you are going to wait for a whole month though, Joey... :D

Thanks Robin for all the comments!

It is VERY exciting to see what ML can come up with. I asked for extra gloss (if possible) just so the BEM looks extra special and I asked for an exceptional veneer piece (which they said yes to). This is going to be great! I was going to settle for maple or natural cherry (both look real good) but I figured, I only have ONE shot at doing the Vantage right. I mean... I love the sound, I love the look... now, just to finally make the speaker my perfect speaker. ONE shot is what I have and I figured, an extra $200 (minus discount) on top of the $300 (minus discount) of the regular maple/natural cherry is worth it for 4-5 years worth of peace.

It will be hard to wait a month for them, but I know that ML is doing their best to send me my perfect Vantages.

BTW, Joey is officially almost broke. I just need to survive a month until my tax return comes and the third scholarship check comes to me and I'll be fine. Cheap Ramen noodles is beginning to taste nauseatingly repetitive since I started back at school 4 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Joey,
Come on you're a student.....go sell some blood. :rolleyes:

I think you'll be extremely happy with the Maple finish you've selected, that's what I would have picked.

Latest posts

Back