Tweakage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveInNC said:
Warning: Physics lesson

Snell's law concerns what happens when light crosses a boundary between two materials. The respective refraction indices of each material, along with the angle at which the light crosses the boundary, control how much the light bends as it goes through the boundary. For CD/DVD purposes, the light is nominally crossing the air-to-plastic boundary at a 90 degree angle (eg - vertical), so the light changes direction very little. The beam then bounces (or not) off of the lands/pits in the aluminized layer of the CD, and recrosses the boundary back (still at mostly 90 degrees) to the optical sensor which converts it to electrical signals. If the beam hits a pit, the light is reflected randomly, some leaving the disc at other angles (missing the laser pickup), and some bouncing around within the disc itself. Note that the power is attenuating at each bounce, and even if some happened to bounce around enough to redirect back at the pickup, it would be swamped by the real signal, much like whispering in the midst of a symphony crescendo.

Steve - First off, thank you for an excellent explanation. I can only surmise that the material used in the manufacture of CDs would have to have been chosen for it's refraction index which I am going to guess as being very low. After reading your explanation three(3) times, I can only conclude that the effect of painting the edges of a CD green would be undetectable by human ears. I think that you clearly pointed that out with your analogy of whispering during a symphonic crescendo. I certainly feel that your explanation has solidified my original speculative decision. Thanks for stepping up to the plate and hitting it out of the park!

roberto said:
Hola...just reading you...this is what we knew long time ago about the green paint>
CD Stoplight is a proprietary plastic coating that is applied to the edge of a Compact Disc to reduce the scattered reflections of the laser beam and increase the signal-to-noise ratio of the detected laser. The result is a significant decrease in the harsh "edginess" in the sound of many CD's and an increase in clarity, resolution and ambience.

"The improvement was astonishing!" - Dick Olsher, Stereophile, March, 1990.

I don't know if Mr. Olsher is a lier here...
Trust your ears, happy listening,
Roberto.

My .02 worth,
As the signal being picked up from the CD is digital and NOT analog, unless there is so much noise it is generating errors in the data, this 'tweak' will result in absolutely no change. Since the digital data coming off the CD remains the same, the output signal will remain the same as well.

Peter

Peter Hogan said:
My .02 worth,
As the signal being picked up from the CD is digital and NOT analog, unless there is so much noise it is generating errors in the data, this 'tweak' will result in absolutely no change. Since the digital data coming off the CD remains the same, the output signal will remain the same as well.

Peter

I cannot help but think that this "tweak" is someone's brilliant idea to make money off of a public that WC Fields accurately described in his famous quote; "There is a sucker born everyday". Now I wish I had thought of it...LOL If I had, those summits would be in my listening room today! Not to mention it would not be the same listening room that I have today! Another example of a modern day "Snake Oil"! :cool:

Why do people sit on the Internet and criticize tweaks as if they have nothing better to do with their lives?

I have tried this tweak and I like it very much. It’s not a night and day difference but it does add some depth to the music and DVD video. I like the layer of grittiness it removes of the sound. I have try the $20.00 green light pen and yes it does work but I found that a fat tip sharply pen works just the same for $3.00. I coast the outside diameter of the CD and the inside rig.

Give it a shot I dare you. If it doesn’t work for you then I am sorry, no harm no foul.

Zip3kx07 said:
Why do people sit on the Internet and criticize tweaks as if they have nothing better to do with their lives?
Because that is what the Internet allows people to do - criticize without having to say it face to face and discuss it. And it is easier to flame someone from a distance and behind a keyboard then face to face. It is a fact of life on the Internet.

Like any tweak it depends on the individual and what they can hear or not hear. For me, I like the Mat as my CD tweak and I really do not care what people think about it or not. Like you and the Green Pen, you like the affect and that is all that really matters here. We can pass on our opinions and move on.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Because that is what the Internet allows people to do - criticize without having to say it face to face and discuss it. And it is easier to flame someone from a distance and behind a keyboard then face to face. It is a fact of life on the Internet.

I just get upset when people start bashing some thing rather then getting off there lazy butt and try it. It’s like a virgin talking about sex, he has never tried it so should have no option. People just love to say this has no affect or cables don’t work because I work for Nasa and my job title is engineering GOD. If you have tried a cable or tweak and found no affect then fine you have in option, express it. But don’t bash it or some one that might try it. Don’t be afraid to tinker, that what makes this hobby grate.

Like any tweak it depends on the individual and what they can hear or not hear. For me, I like the Mat as my CD tweak and I really do not care what people think about it or not. Like you and the Green Pen, you like the affect and that is all that really matters here. We can pass on our opinions and move on.

Agree, I just don’t want some one to be turned off from trying some that they would have if it was not for an overly expressive individual.

My opinion is not directed at any one hear, it just my option. Please don’t take offence to it.

Zip3kx07 said:
Agree, I just don’t want some one to be turned off from trying some that they would have if it was not for an overly expressive individual.

I too agree.. Remember the post on an internet forum are just opinions and everyone has one, right or wrong, just like you know the other thing everyone has... :D

While someone's opinion may help guide you on your path, it is not an absolute.

I think the underlying "Theme and Purchase Process" of this fine MLO forum, (and most everyone agrees) is: 1. Try it out to see if you like it - especially in your own system, and 2. "Trust your own ears" to buy and purchase what you like in your system. Follow this for all your audio needs and you will be very happy with your own system.

Dan

Agreed. We do not know all the variables that go into hearing a sound and why some equipment sounds "better" than others. Until we do, unscientific methods such as listening will have to suffice.

Back