Turntable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bono

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new turntable. But I don't know anything about it. So I need you guys help. I could spend up to $1500.

Thanks,

-Mike

The VPI Scout is a great turntable in that price range. I'm using one in my system and happy with it. And of course you can find some good deals on a used table. However, turntables are one of the most difficult items to ship safely. It can be done but it has to packed very carefully. This may be one piece of equipment that is worth paying your local shop the MSRP retail price for proper setup and safe delivery. The link is one for one currently for sale on Audiogon.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1124807250

Rega

You won't go too far wrong with a Rega. They're make a huge range, from very basic to very sophisticated, and they've got many years of experience.

I run the limited edition Rega P25 (very hard to find), and whilst there are better turntables out there it's still very difficult to beat without spending huge amounts of money. Don't forget, the law of diminishing returns applies here as much as anywhere else.

Only thing is, I don't know how easy it is to get Rega gear in the US.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
The VPI HW19 series has been discontinued. You can probably pick up a unit used or on closeout. There were 3 models in the series from entry level (junior) to quite sophisticated (mark IV.) These accept many upgrades and parts from other VPI models. I recommend them highly.

SugarMedia said:
David-

I did a search on the P25. I like it quite abit, and since it's being phased out for the P5 & P7, it's discounted to 619.00GBP, not a bad price at all.

I'm afraid that's slightly out of date - it was phased out at least two years ago.

I'm still happy with mine though, no plans on changing it any time soon.

Cheers,

David

I would lean towards a Rega before any VPI simply based on my experiences with both. IMO VPI's tend to be a bit dry and analytical for my taste whereas Rega's have more PRaT than the VPI's. My 2 cents.

Risabet,

What tends to make a turntable dry and analytical? Is it mainly the cartridge? I really know ZERO about these things and am wondering what factors come into play with the different sounds they produce.

IMHO, VPIs are anything but dry and analytical. They've been criticised by many for being too laid-back.

Thanks for all the help...What do you guys think about Music Hall? I could get Music Hall MMF-9 with Maestro Cartridge for $1200.

-Mike

Pro-ject Xpression and Tube Box

Recently I bought a Pro-ject Xpression with Sumiko Blue Point No.2 cartridge. The TT came shipped with the cartridge installed and aligned from the Needledoctor. I then added a Pro-ject Tube Box phono stage. Bought it used with an extra set of Telefunken tubes. Everything for about $1000. The Xpression seemed like an excellent value to me. I tried comparing specs on the Xpression with some of the Rega TTs, but couldn't find any specs for the Regas. The Xpression had a pretty heavy platter for an entry level TT, and came with carbon fiber tonearm. I am very happy with this entry level setup, and once I've got more hours logged on the cartridge, I'll try going up a level or two in price and see what that buys me. Maybe in a year or two I'll take a step up in TT as well, but I think at this point I'd gain more by experimenting with cartridges.
For now, I'm set on the playback part and spending more time listening and hunting down vinyl. Just bought the 30th Anniversary reissue of Dark Side of the Moon. Awesome.

SugarMedia said:
Risabet,

What tends to make a turntable dry and analytical? Is it mainly the cartridge? I really know ZERO about these things and am wondering what factors come into play with the different sounds they produce.

My experience with acrylic platter TT's is that they rob the life from the music, keep in mind that I am a long time Linn devotee and I find most tables I've listened to not to beat the Linn head to head, clearly a personal preference on my part. The arm and cartridge will contribute to the general sound but the nature of the table contributes the majority to the sound IMO. I'll admit that i tend to like tables with metallic platters best such as the Linn, Thorens, and some Oracles. I also like some glass palttered Rega's. These are very much personal biases on my part, many opinions will differ.

I prefer Michell... ;) The Tecnodec can be had for under $1500 and will beat Rega turntables in the same price range. Rega tends to sound a little 'safe', the Tecnodec is very neutral, transparant and has great timing. You could also try Pro-Ject, that always has an upbeat sound with some colouration. Linn is also excellent, but expensive. I can also vouch for the VPI Scout, but it sounds too laid-back for my taste.

Why not go 2nd hand?

risabet said:
My experience with acrylic platter TT's is that they rob the life from the music, keep in mind that I am a long time Linn devotee and I find most tables I've listened to not to beat the Linn head to head, clearly a personal preference on my part. The arm and cartridge will contribute to the general sound but the nature of the table contributes the majority to the sound IMO. I'll admit that i tend to like tables with metallic platters best such as the Linn, Thorens, and some Oracles. I also like some glass palttered Rega's. These are very much personal biases on my part, many opinions will differ.

I do not find acrylic robs much of anything from play back. The quality of a table's bearings are very important. I prefer unsuspended, high mass tables as long as they have good isolation. The ygive a solid image, solid bass and good detail. You should hear the little acrylic Transrotor table, a mono Shelter 501 running through all Airtight electronics, and a pair of Quad 988's, plus one of the new Rel subs.

As long as you have a decent table, I find the cartridge and phono stage are the most important factors in the sound of a vinyl set-up. Next comes the arm, and then the table. My local dealer has a Linn available for demo to use as a selling point for other tables.

A few questions?

What style Linn does your dealer have? Is it set up correctly? Is it used as a shill to sell other tables? Salesmanship of this caliber is an abomination, IMO. However, it does point out that the standard for TT's is still the venerable LP-12.

Back