Turn Tables ~ Around and Around We Go, Where We Stop Everyone Knows - At The Music...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pcar928fan;44876Did Nak call all their top products Dragon? I remember a cassette deck that was called the Dragon too and it was really something... Or maybe I am just confused again.[/QUOTE said:
The Naka Dragon was indeed a wonderful tape deck, but the flagship was the 1000ZXL...

Attachments

• zxl.jpg
    zxl.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 135
Risabet, thanks for the history lesson, I knew you would know all about it! Very cool info! That is something. Did Nak call all their top products Dragon? I remember a cassette deck that was called the Dragon too and it was really something... Or maybe I am just confused again.

To the best of my knowledge they did call their TOTL items Dragons. The cassette deck had automatically adjustable heads to minimize azimuth error for peak high freq. response. Both the TT and the deck were amazing pieces of engineering though very expensive at the time.

Kinda Silly Funny TT...

This is just a silly, funny actual working 'Lego' TT... :D

Attachments

• lego-turntable.jpg
    lego-turntable.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 130
Heavy Duty TT...

:p Heavy duty with loads of metal involved... :D This Vinyl Tourist's TT must be incredibly stable. ;) I just can't fingure-out what all those pressure gauges are used for? :confused:

Attachments

• Vinyl Tourist's TT.jpg
    Vinyl Tourist's TT.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 132
I Give You The Amazing ~ Verical TT...

This is a conversation starter that's for sure... ;) Very unusual vertically designed TT. :D I am not sure what year this TT was made or by whom? :confused:

Attachments

• vertical_turntable_01.jpg
    vertical_turntable_01.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 133
The Fabulously Made ~ DaVinci Audio Labs Gold TT...

:drool: :D This White and Gold seporates designed style DaVinci Audio Labs TT is simply stunningly beautiful... :D:drool:

Attachments

• DaVinci Audio Labs -  Turntable_white___gold.jpg
    DaVinci Audio Labs - Turntable_white___gold.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 134
I surfed and found a some rather interesting information about this (post 1983) company, which manufactured casset decks and TT's... No longer in exsistance but they were great:cheers: :

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1464098

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakamichi

Wonderful electronic workmanship... ;)

Gee, have two Nakamichi cassette decks sitting in a cabinet not doing anything.One is from that era of around 1973 it is a 700 II and the other is a bit newer a CR2A:eek:

Jeff:cool:

Gee, have two Nakamichi cassette decks sitting in a cabinet not doing anything.One is from that era of around 1973 it is a 700 II and the other is a bit newer a CR2A:eek:
Nakamichi decks were great for the day. Everyone wanted to own a Dragon.

:p Heavy duty with loads of metal involved... :D This Vinyl Tourist's TT must be incredibly stable. ;) I just can't fingure-out what all those pressure gauges are used for? :confused:

Air pressure is used for 2 different functions on some tts. 1. - to hold the record to the platter and flatten it, or 2. - to move the tangential tracking tonearm across the record. Some contemporary tt manufacturers still use either or both of these techniques.

Air pressure is used for 2 different functions on some tts. 1. - to hold the record to the platter and flatten it, or 2. - to move the tangential tracking tonearm across the record. Some contemporary tt manufacturers still use either or both of these techniques.

Some also use an air bearing for the platter, Mapleknoll comes to mind.

Some also use an air bearing for the platter, Mapleknoll comes to mind.

Yea, that picture is for an air bearing tone arm at the very least and could be ALL of the above items. That is WAY TO MUCH TROUBLE to listen to a record!

Yea, that picture is for an air bearing tone arm at the very least and could be ALL of the above items. That is WAY TO MUCH TROUBLE to listen to a record!

Hardly, I know for me part of the fun is the ritual. Properly designed air bearing devices are actually not that fussy once set up correctly. The key is having everything perfectly level, and I do mean perfectly. Also keep your air dry as moisture in the system is a definite no-no!

Hardly, I know for me part of the fun is the ritual. Properly designed air bearing devices are actually not that fussy once set up correctly. The key is having everything perfectly level, and I do mean perfectly. Also keep your air dry as moisture in the system is a definite no-no!

Ugh... Just let me play w/ my Rega P2 or maybe a nice VPI Super Scoutmaster or something like that... I don't need anything that high tech...

2X that... Well, I can't be sure if it was her or if it was me! It was many years ago and so I bought a new Rega Exact and ALWAYS use the stylus guard on it now! I hot glued a twist tie from a bread bag to the plastic cover and when I put it on I just wrap the ends around the tone arm and it stays in place nicely and keeps the $600 cart safe! That was an expensive lesson!

I was lucky that the company the maid works for reimbursed me with no questions asked!

I was lucky that the company the maid works for reimbursed me with no questions asked!

My girl works for herself and could not afford to reimburse me, and like I said, I am not sure it was her and frankly it probably WAS ME! She tends not to touch the electronics gear! She did break a few of my wife's Precious Moments pieces but all combined probably were not 1/3rd that Exact!

Hi,
It looks to me like it has a linear tracking tonearm, that uses air bearings to eliminate friction. Basically it uses compressed air to 'float' the tonearm so there is no mechanical contact, eliminating all friction. The pressure guages are to set the pressure correctly. The guage on the far left looks like a dial indicator, likely to adjust the mechanical alignment.

Peter

Amazing...

Hi,
It looks to me like it has a linear tracking tonearm, that uses air bearings to eliminate friction. Basically it uses compressed air to 'float' the tonearm so there is no mechanical contact, eliminating all friction. The pressure guages are to set the pressure correctly. The guage on the far left looks like a dial indicator, likely to adjust the mechanical alignment.

Peter
Peter,

A tone arm floating on air..., perfectly level... To me that is just astounding. :wow: The level of phonograph dedication to the very best quality sound possible simply amazes me. :wow: It is like Robert said it is all in the ritual, but it seems to be a bit more..., a quest for phonographic perfection, and I mean that in a quite a good audio way. It seems this kinda commitment of phono enthusiasm this quite anal as well... :eek: :confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back