Tube Preamp Recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
This is the deal. What tube pre do you recomend? I will be using the Pass X-250 after it. I would like to keep it balanced as well. I have heard it is magical with a tube pre. Is this true???

There are a couple being recommended in the main forum...ARC and Cary that seem to be very highly touted. I'd check that thread if you haven't seen it.

This should be great fun...you going tube pre and SS amp...and me likely doing the opposite (for the panels...above 500HZ at least, if my midbass array turns out to be decent). Too bad I can't keep pace with your budget! Maybe I'll keep buying your used stuff ;) It's worked out great for me so far!

Would be fun to try my Six Pacs (if/when I ever manage to get them) and whatever pre I get (likely the placette passive) in direct comparison to your gear on your summits! Man, nothing like some cross town motivation to take this hobby to a new level! :)

I'm going here to see some tube equipment. Are you coming Ian???

Sound Systems Marketing LLC
9129-140 Monroe Road
Charlotte, NC 28270
Phone: 704-846-2360
Fax: 704-846-2473

This is the deal. What tube pre do you recomend? I will be using the Pass X-250 after it. I would like to keep it balanced as well. I have heard it is magical with a tube pre. Is this true???

Hmm, tall order! There are not too many TRUE balanced tubed preamplifiers around. Off the top of my head, ARC (LS26), Cary SLP-05, BAT VK50 series, and Atma-Sphere MP-3 are good candidates.

IWalker, the SixPacs are wonderfull on the panels!!

Spike

Attachments

• SixPacs small.JPG
    SixPacs small.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I'm going here to see some tube equipment. Are you coming Ian???

Sound Systems Marketing LLC
9129-140 Monroe Road
Charlotte, NC 28270
Phone: 704-846-2360
Fax: 704-846-2473

Wow..... two enthusiasts in my own back yard. :D

Dave,

You're more than welcome to join IWalker and myself (jtwrace) anytime. The Summits should be here on Monday.:band:

I'm thinking about the Cary and atma sphere MP3. Going to listen to the Summits for a while to get to know them. Then......thoughts?

http://www.atma-sphere.com/products/mp3.html

Back