Tube Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider just tube front end...

While I'd love an ARC VT-100 or greater -- my dealer GNP in Pasadena pairs ML's with these and they sound phenomenal -- it ain't in the cards right now. However, I'm buying a heavily modded Antique Sound Labs phono pre and a Cal Audio Labs Alpha tube DAC. Great tube sound with (hopefully) very little tube hassle.

Good luck!

check out the blue circle amps. i promise that they are amazing and are phenominal with logans. blue circle makes some really nice stuff for logans and its a pity if you've never heard them.

Anthony A. said:
check out the blue circle amps. i promise that they are amazing and are phenominal with logans. blue circle makes some really nice stuff for logans and its a pity if you've never heard them.

I can second the Blue Circle line. Gilbert Yeung is a great guy and fantastic audio designer. He also hand builds each amp himself. I had the pleasure of meeting Gilbert at the Audiokarma Audio Festival held in Southfield Michigan April 9th and 10th. You should shoot him an email and get to know him and his gear.

http://www.bluecircle.com/

I have never heard of Blue Circle, but would like to since a few have given them the thumbs up. However, I am always weary when a company resorts to this sort of PR. It usually makes me run... for god sakes, audio equipment is a serious and expensive purchase. http://www.classicpumps.com/mpumps.htm

It also appears they have no recent reviews/awards for a couple of years now... something that is important to me.

Attachments

• blue_circle_chocolate.jpg
    blue_circle_chocolate.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
SugarMedia said:
I have never heard of Blue Circle, but would like to since a few have given them the thumbs up. However, I am always weary when a company resorts to this sort of PR. It usually makes me run... for god sakes, audio equipment is a serious and expensive purchase. http://www.classicpumps.com/mpumps.htm

It also appears they have no recent reviews/awards for a couple of years now... something that is important to me.

I totally understand where you're coming from. That is why I suggested starting up a dialogue with Gilbert. I was not suggesting anyone buy gear site unseen or in this case unheard. Other people's opinions are a single data point and you must do your home work to determine if it's right for you. No one can tell you that except yourself. Having said that, Gilbert does some off the wall stuff for fun. He is serious about his regular line.

There are many roads to nirvana and it forks often. Choose solid state or tubes and you head down different paths that actaully come back together on the other side in the form of hybrids. You even separate within camps. Be it low-fi, mid-fi, hi-fi, DIY-fi; it is a personal journey. So, enjoy the ride.

SugarMedia said:
However, I am always weary when a company resorts to this sort of PR. It usually makes me run... for god sakes, audio equipment is a serious and expensive purchase.

Ok, I get this, and it is funny.

SugarMedia said:

But, is this a joke as well? I gave up on Stereophile in the early 1990's when the reviewers started talking about their qualifications by refering to the flatness of their hearing response. One of them reviewed a $20k Griffon amp, and claimed it was horrible until some wooden disks were placed in a specific orientation on top of the chassis (which made the amps really good). And audio reviews have gone downhill since then. With the advent of home theatre, audio reviewing plumbed new depths of bad writing, useless tests and comparisons, and misleading statements. Also, audio is a subjective hobby, and it's hard to know when a reviewer shares your tastes.

There are some exceptions, like UHF magazine, where they actually appreciate music, but for the most part, I find the information from forum participants much more valuable as a guide to what I might like to listen to.

By the way, I own a Blue Circle BC28 amp, and I have never heard Ascents sound so good. It is a great combination. If I have any questions, Gilbert is a quick e-mail away; the level of support is such that I feel almost like the equipment is on loan from Blue Circle.

Sky Saw said:
But, is this a joke as well?

By the way, I own a Blue Circle BC28 amp, and I have never heard Ascents sound so good.

Nope, no joke, we all have are subjective opinions and ears. But I will definitely try to audition them.

Cheers,

Tube Amps....what About The Big Mac Mc3500 ?

wHAT ABOUT THIS GREAT AMP FOR THE ML ? SOMEBODY CAN LET ME KNOW ? :)

klaus said:
WHAT ABOUT THIS GREAT AMP FOR THE ML ? SOMEBODY CAN LET ME KNOW ? :)
ANYWAY , ABOUT THE AMP...FOR ME NO DOUBT , I WILL NEVER SELL THIS PAIR OF AMP , BUT NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF ML SPEAKER BUY - I HAVE A PAIR OF MC SPEAKER ( THE XRT 22 ) AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOME ELECT.PANELS ....IS IT A GOOD IDEA ? :confused: :confused: :confused: undefined

klaus said:
ANYWAY , ABOUT THE AMP...FOR ME NO DOUBT , I WILL NEVER SELL THIS PAIR OF AMP , BUT NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF ML SPEAKER BUY - I HAVE A PAIR OF MC SPEAKER ( THE XRT 22 ) AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOME ELECT.PANELS ....IS IT A GOOD IDEA ?

I remember the XRT22's - Heard them about 20 years ago or so (give or take a few years) with the 2255 amp(???? - it has been awhile) . For me and my preferences, they were okay, not earth-shattering, not overwhelming. But that is what makes audio so great, so much out there for each of us to choose from.

In order for you to find out what ML's sound like, you need to go out and listen to them, just like any other speaker out there. For those us with ML's, going from cone driven to planar is night and day, and there are not many of us (if any) that will go back to cone driven again.

But you may find that you really like your XRT22's and not want to part with them. Bottom line - go out, audition, make a decision based on your likes and your budget.

Dan

Last edited:
Back