tube amp dust

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar1

Reaction score
what is a good thing to use for dusting around the tubes on a tube amp after it’s cool down? don’t want to stick my hands around the tubes accidentally
knocking one of them out of its socket. thanks

Ostrich feather duster. This one is more than 20 years old. They last a long time.

Attachments

• featherduster.jpg
    featherduster.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 12
I've always used the Swiffer as well. Question; has anyone used a dust collector in a room to cut down on airborne dust? Something like the Molekule or say the Dyson or BlueAir?

I use an electrostatic air cleaner on my main air duct for the whole house and 2 more for 2 of our bedrooms. They pick up an incredible amount of dust. 3 or 4 times a year i take them out in the driveway and spray them down with a hose and simple green.

I've used an Electrostatic Duster before, those furry/fluffy looking ones. Mine was pink, just broke it because the plastic wand got old.

Looks like new ones are blue.

https://www.eurow.com/products/eurow-electrostatic-duster-replacement-head
If the dust is old and embedded, then yes fingers and Swiffer like paper cloth will work.

However in my opinion, they leave an oily residue that attracts even more dust. Plus, I do not want those oils/chemicals on my glass tubes.

These camera folk seemed to have latched on to similar observations.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thr...does get dust, and,your hands a little greasy.

EDIT:
I need to clarify that my wife has been buying a cheaper knock off for years, trust your fingers. Do you feel chemicals and oil?

Last edited:
I've been using a Dyson air purifying fan for the last year and a half. It works well, however, it's not an overnight transformation. It took weeks to have a lasting effect of lower amount of dust to the point of noticing less dust.

I bought the fan mainly because I wanted a fan. The filtering aspect was just a bonus, but after seeing the results, it's a must have.

Even with occasional projects in the house, like bath renovation etc, the filter will last quite a while. It's getting close to needing a replacement, so by that time it would be about 9 months per filter, but again, that's with dusty periods several times since getting the Dyson.

Latest posts

Back