trying valves icon audio 40i classic

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.N.

Reaction score
just a bit of advice really, i'm using linn pre and 2 powers to drive my logans (aerius i) and they sound great, but got a chance to buy a valve intergrated. the model is an icon audio 40i classic, pushing 40w p/c. will this be sufficiant in driving the logans without losing depth, clarity and airiness?
many thanks.

specs of the icon:-

Large choke regulated power supply
40 + 40 Watts rms @ 4 or 8 Ohms (8 & 4 ohm taps)
Triode switching, 19 + 19 Watts rms
4x EL34, 2x 12AX7, 2x 12AT7
Silver Teflon audio cable
250mv sensitivity

A.N. said:
just a bit of advice really, i'm using linn pre and 2 powers to drive my logans (aerius i) and they sound great, but got a chance to buy a valve intergrated. the model is an icon audio 40i classic, pushing 40w p/c. will this be sufficiant in driving the logans without losing depth, clarity and airiness?
many thanks.

specs of the icon:-

Large choke regulated power supply
40 + 40 Watts rms @ 4 or 8 Ohms (8 & 4 ohm taps)
Triode switching, 19 + 19 Watts rms
4x EL34, 2x 12AX7, 2x 12AT7
Silver Teflon audio cable
250mv sensitivity

Hola A.N. Welcome. It depends of how loud do you want to listen. if your room is small and your SPL is moderated. Why don´t you ask it for a demo in your place before you buy it?...listening it in your own place is a must. Long time ago, I had a small room and also my power amp was 50W-channel and my speakers were the CLS with a sensitivity of only 85 dBs-W-m. I loved the sound that I got, but I could not play them too loud...hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

i dont listen loud, but want clarity, openness, detail, and airiness.
taking it home tom for a dem, so see what it will bring, cheers Roberto.

A.N. said:
i dont listen loud, but want clarity, openness, detail, and airiness.
taking it home tom for a dem, so see what it will bring, cheers Roberto.
The el34/6ca7 is one of the most musical tubes available even in now days. Those ones were the ones that I had at my Conrad Johnson model MV-50. Also the Aerius i are 87 to 88 dBs of sensitivity. You will love your new sound, and if you don't care to play the music soft, then in the triode mode you will get the most of it. Happy listening, you are in the right track...
Cheers,
Roberto.

picked this up earlier today, beautifully built amp. now the sonics:-

compared to the icon, my linns have more detail, more height, width and depth to the soundstage. the icon was a lot "shallower", also (with the linns) vocals sounded more natural, and breathed easier in the mid. the bass was also deeper and more controlled with the linns, they gripped the logans better.
one thing the icon did slightly better was that it was a bit more open on the highs almost became "shouty", but this took away the realism of the vocal.

i'll have to try another tube amp, with a bit more power. the icon tho for the money is an absolute bargain, will embaress a lot more expensive ss integrated amps.

A.N. said:
picked this up earlier today, beautifully built amp. now the sonics:-

compared to the icon, my linns have more detail, more height, width and depth to the soundstage. the icon was a lot "shallower", also (with the linns) vocals sounded more natural, and breathed easier in the mid. the bass was also deeper and more controlled with the linns, they gripped the logans better.
one thing the icon did slightly better was that it was a bit more open on the highs almost became "shouty", but this took away the realism of the vocal.

i'll have to try another tube amp, with a bit more power. the icon tho for the money is an absolute bargain, will embaress a lot more expensive ss integrated amps.
Hola...it is good to know that you did listen it. IMHO tubes are warmer in sound than SS, and SS are more incisive and precise, specially at bass control. My heart is with tubes, but it is my liking...continue with your search, now you know how fantastic are the vocals, and some instruments through tubes, naturalness is the clue here. I enjoy more the musician(s) than the music itself with tubes. Thanks for your review and your perceptions...happy listening,
Roberto.

Back