Trouble

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ErikObie

i just got a pair of Aerius speakers (not shure what model) bt i got them from a freind he didnt want them anymore cause the amp isnt working. Gonna ask em tommrow if he knows how they broke but i was wondering if the speaker wire inputs got to much power what would be the first thing to blow i looked inside anf i noticed the wires go to some caps i was wondering can these be blown when over charged without signs of damage? and is there a way i can test these with a volt meter? (not to wise on how caps and other electronic parts work) but if i can get these fixed i will be getting a nice pair of speakers for free hehe

I was gonna do the tweak that is at
http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=626

but the board is set up diffrent than mine so i dont want to go changing the stuffs if #1 thats not whats blown and #2 if there diffrent for his speakers vs mine

any help at all would be great
or if anyone knows of a place to get them repaired in the seattle area that also might work but atm i would rather try to fix them myself being a poor student and all :)

I don't know how to fix things like this, however I suggest you post some very clear photos of the back of your speakers and the insides.

I always start with the simple stuff first like is the cord okay, or are any fuses blown, lose wires and the like.

ErikObie said:
i just got a pair of Aerius speakers (not shure what model) bt i got them from a freind he didnt want them anymore cause the amp isnt working. Gonna ask em tommrow if he knows how they broke but i was wondering if the speaker wire inputs got to much power what would be the first thing to blow i looked inside anf i noticed the wires go to some caps i was wondering can these be blown when over charged without signs of damage? and is there a way i can test these with a volt meter? (not to wise on how caps and other electronic parts work) but if i can get these fixed i will be getting a nice pair of speakers for free hehe

I was gonna do the tweak that is at
http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=626

but the board is set up diffrent than mine so i dont want to go changing the stuffs if #1 thats not whats blown and #2 if there diffrent for his speakers vs mine

any help at all would be great
or if anyone knows of a place to get them repaired in the seattle area that also might work but atm i would rather try to fix them myself being a poor student and all :)

Hola ErikObie...first of all, be careful because lethal voltage might be present...the bias voltage of the stators is over 7K volts...first tell us the exact model of your Aerius...look the plate at the back, near the speaker binding posts...the most common problem is bad panels and all what you need is to order them direct form ML. You must think that you are going to pay for an exelent speaker only around $400.00 for both panels and you will have them singing again. If you are an electronic tech. then I could guide you with no problem...if you are not, then you must get help. The capacitors are o.k. You are at the crossover. Your Aerius have a sensing music circuit...this is, when music is played, the switching power supply will sense it and will turn on the bias to the panels. That small circuit board near the capacitors is the power supply. Also to check if the voltage is present, normaly there is a red diode that is on...when the there is no voltage at the panels, the led is off. But again, I think that the problem is bad panels and they need to be replaced...hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Sorry i could not find this post on here lol

ill take some pics and get some serial numbers tommrow and yes both speakers dont work he said he hooked up a amp to the speakers or something and it blew them both. thanks for the responces like i said i couldnt find my own post lol and illl get the pics for ya tommrow

ErikObie said:
Ok i took some pics and got the serial

the Serial is AEFE264

and heres some pics

[img=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7694/back8rd.th.jpg]

[img=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3104/inside0mc.th.jpg]

[img=http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8314/insides26fb.th.jpg]

there is a transistor missing on this speaker (removed by previous owner for some reason after it broke think he was gonna atempt to fix)

if ya have any more questions please let me know

Hola...how do you know that there is a transistor missing?... do you know if the removed transistor is a NPN or PNP?...better is to be in contact with Martin Logan service personel...the removed transistor is from one pc board only?...the advise is to get new switching power supplies and new panels, try to contact Mr. Jim Power at ML...([email protected]) he is a gentleman and the service manager of ML...you will have then a new set of speakers to start to enjoy.
Also test the woofers for open coils with the help of an ohm tester...hope this can help...
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back